Sansa Fuze Firmware Update 01.02.26 & 02.02.26

If there’s one feature of the OF that Rockbox doesn’t do easily its the ability to play a ‘folder’: specifically a folder with subfolders (ie: a folder “Beatles” with subfolders of several albums, there’s no ‘play all’ selection at the ‘Beatles’ folder level like the OF). I know you can do it by creating a playlist, but that’s too much effort just to listen to a  few albuims.

@timn wrote:
If there’s one feature of the OF that Rockbox doesn’t do easily its the ability to play a ‘folder’: specifically a folder with subfolders (ie: a folder “Beatles” with subfolders of several albums, there’s no ‘play all’ selection at the ‘Beatles’ folder level like the OF). I know you can do it by creating a playlist, but that’s too much effort just to listen to a  few albuims.

You probably have “auto change directory” set to “No”.  Set it to yes and it will recursively play folders like you would expect:

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansae200/rockbox-buildch7.html#x10-1260007.10 

Alternatively you can just hold down select and queue folders if you don’t want this to happen automatically.   

The comment “Alternatively you can just hold down select and queue folders if you don’t want this to happen automatically.”  confuses me…   there’s no ‘queue’  do you mean “add to playlist”? I see no way to queue up a directory on a ‘long select’  only cut, copy etc  of course I’m no expert on RB

I’ve got a couple of questions to the developers of the OS for Sansa Fuze…

I wonder WHY on earth do I need the annoying and time-consuming REFRESHING DATABASE operation if I use ONLY radio and access files using ONLY folder browsing?  :dizzy_face:

Because they have no idea that you only use folder browsing (and that design may also require a database refresh)

@etoja wrote:

I wonder WHY on earth do I need the annoying and time-consuming REFRESHING DATABASE operation if I use ONLY radio and access files using ONLY folder browsing?  :dizzy_face:

Because the firmware is designed and written for millions of people using their devices in many, many different ways. They didn’t just write it with you in mind, you know.

And your 2nd question? . . .

:stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

@etoja wrote:

Because the firmware is designed and written for millions of people using their devices in many, many different ways. They didn’t just write it with you in mind, you know.

I daresay there are a great many of us who desire navigation by folder, with no reliance on any “database” and its attendant penalties.  At least give us the option to switch.

And I am one of those who would prefer folder navigation even if there would be no database at all in a player. By the way, this was the reason I bought iAudio U5 player which has no database at all with one of firmwares. But Rockbox can make of Fuze a much better player. 

@tapeworm wrote:

@etoja wrote:

You have just replied to my second question. The first one was why I need a database refresh if I use, for instance, ONLY RADIO on that player?   :smiley:

Actually both my questions are rhetorical ones. I am annoyed that there is no option to opt out of the database refresh. Among the “million of people using their devices in many, many different ways”  there should be some acquainted with computer folder structure. I disagree with this definition of Sansa OS - “million people using in many, many different ways” is more appropriate for RockBox. For me all this tag based database is just a nuisance - I use it for audiobooks.

As I said before in my postings the folder browsing is a strong selling point and it is not implemented properly in Fuze - which is a pity. I know some people who wouldn’t buy it just because of it.There is also a requirement to have a direct shortcut to folders from welcoming screen.

The recent lame introduction of folder browsing was a step in the right direction but is can’t be compared with the likes of Cowon.

Message Edited by Etoja on 10-09-2009 07:24 AM

No one is forcing you to get a Fuze.  de-Fuzed

@Black-Rectangle Sorry I upset your tender feelings, mate. Of course, nobody forces me to get Fuze - I already have it and use it a lot. As well as Cowon D2, Sony, Iriver, Creative Zen and plenty of known and unknown brands - so I can compare and suggest.

I was under impression that I was kind of addressing a couple of questions to the DEVELOPERS concerning improvement in operational system, forgetting that this is a customer based sandisk forum.

Message Edited by Etoja on 10-09-2009 08:21 AM

Message Edited by Etoja on 10-09-2009 08:22 AM

im the only one having a major deception with the latest firmware ??:mansad:

I only have one problem with the latest update, and that is the useless slotradio ad in the selection tab. Does that do anything or is it sandisks placing a useless ad reminding me everytime I turn on my Fuse that I can buy music on microSD cards. Thanks a lot sandisk.

thinking about going back a update.

Message Edited by jarrycanada on 11-25-2009 09:49 AM

Tried installing 02.02.26. zip file contained fuzpA which didn’t work. Renamed to fuzeA which started the upgrade, but then shutdown was way too quick compared to the 01.02.26 upgrade. Turned on fuze. Version wasn’t updated.

@jeffrey_kutcher wrote:
Tried installing 02.02.26. zip file contained fuzpA which didn’t work. Renamed to fuzeA which started the upgrade, but then shutdown was way too quick compared to the 01.02.26 upgrade. Turned on fuze. Version wasn’t updated.

You can’t install “02” firmware if your Fuze came with “01” (likewise you can’t install “01” on an “02” device). There are two different hardware revisions of the Fuze, each with its own firmware that will install only on the correct version.

WALLPAPER!!! theres only 6 and out of those 6, 3 are blue…at least put red or black in there…or photo wallpaper would be nice. It’d be nice to be able to put a picture from a file as a wallpaper.

On March 22, 2010: SanDisk announced (via pcmag) 32GB micro-SDHC would be available.

PC Mag’s announcement

On March 23 at least one website announced availability of the cards…

Brighthand.com 's take on 32GB microSDHC

Also, here on SanDisk’s board, it seems as if SanDisk itself started selling the 32GB microSDHC cards before these posts claiming nobody was selling them yet…  Only class 2, but that’s fast enough for what we want it for…

Oh, the link… SanDisk’s forum talk on 32GB micro-SDHC

And in January Samsung was already announcing the same capacity… Samsung Announces High-density NAND Flash and 32GB microSD cards for Mobile Devices

When any of them ACTUALLY shipped may be somewhat difficult to pinpoint though.

I’m still happy with the built in 8GB, including a decent music collection and a few videos for when I am waiting (dentist office/waiting to pickup people at the airport)

I can wait for prices to drop and class 4 or better speeds…

I will also be installing Rockbox on my V2 8GB Fuze before I try the new Sansa firmware.

After 2 months of no use of my player, I was happy to see how much battery charge remained… very impressive indeed.

It’s nice to see replaygain working again, though one would wonder why people refer to it as a new feature since it was already working fine in older firmwares.

Thanks to SanDisk and it’s representatives for providing the forum here.

Yeah, I just checked Amazon for 32 GB micro sd cards, and there’s not really much available.

I recently installed Rockbox on my Fuze and I can now listen to my 24-bit/96HKZ encoded music collection–it sounds awesome, the only problem is that even a 32 GB card can only hold about 25 albums or so of music. 

Sandisk (or someone else) really needs to start mass-producing those 64 GB cards, and come out with a new player can support them.

@bdproductions wrote:

On March 22, 2010: SanDisk announced (via pcmag) 32GB micro-SDHC would be available.

PC Mag’s announcement

On March 23 at least one website announced availability of the cards…

Brighthand.com 's take on 32GB microSDHC

Also, here on SanDisk’s board, it seems as if SanDisk itself started selling the 32GB microSDHC cards before these posts claiming nobody was selling them yet…  Only class 2, but that’s fast enough for what we want it for…

Oh, the link… SanDisk’s forum talk on 32GB micro-SDHC

And in January Samsung was already announcing the same capacity… Samsung Announces High-density NAND Flash and 32GB microSD cards for Mobile Devices

When any of them ACTUALLY shipped may be somewhat difficult to pinpoint though.

I’m still happy with the built in 8GB, including a decent music collection and a few videos for when I am waiting (dentist office/waiting to pickup people at the airport)

I can wait for prices to drop and class 4 or better speeds…

I will also be installing Rockbox on my V2 8GB Fuze before I try the new Sansa firmware.

After 2 months of no use of my player, I was happy to see how much battery charge remained… very impressive indeed.

It’s nice to see replaygain working again, though one would wonder why people refer to it as a new feature since it was already working fine in older firmwares.

Thanks to SanDisk and it’s representatives for providing the forum here.

Message Edited by databass on 06-14-2010 08:48 AM

Message Edited by databass on 06-14-2010 08:48 AM

I have an “older” Sansa Fuze 2gb Black, running Firmware Version 1.02.  My PC is Windows 10.  I tried installing the Updater, but apparently it doesn’t like Win10?  I also tried downloading the 2.02 patch and the instructions say to extract the files to the root directory of the Fuze.  Unfortunately, the Fuze doesn’t let me do that.  When I try to drag or copy & paste, it doesn’t give me an option to “paste” or “move” the files to the root directory?

What am I doing wrong?  This MP3 player has worked great for me for several years, and I’m not really interested in replacing it at this time.

THanks!

Version 1 and Version 2 of the Fuze use different software.

You can’t install 2.x versions in Version 1 Fuzes.

The updater always was a useless thing. Go to the first page of the thread below to download what I believe is the last Fuze firmware. 

https://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Fuze/Sansa-Fuze-Firmware-Update-01-02-31-amp-02-03-33/td-p/139175

Get the All Region version. Unzip it and put it on the root directory–the driveletter–of the Fuze.

If you have the final update of Version 1–1.02.31–then that’s as far as it goes.

And if Windows 10–an evil piece of garbage bloatware–won’t do it, see if you can borrow a computer with Windows 7 or before. You don’t have to install the Updater on it–just unzip your downloaded 1.02.26 and send it over.