Sansa Fuze Firmware Update 01.02.26 & 02.02.26

@misscrystalyn wrote:
Hate to be a pain in the side, but does anyone know when the next update will be available.  I’m the lucky SOB who has to update my three fuzes, my mom’s, my dad’s and my 5 year old sister’s. 

No, and with the Clip+ player just out and all resources diverted to it right now, I doubt it will be in the near future.

Maybe a Christmas present, but I still wouldn’t hold my breath.

@tapeworm wrote:

No, and with the Clip+ player just out and all resources diverted to it right now, I doubt it will be in the near future.

Maybe a Christmas present, but I still wouldn’t hold my breath.

Why not use RockBox then … never had any problems with it for now. And it works parallel to the original firmware which you can also still access. Lots of new features, incl. cover flow… (a bit hidden under Plugins -> Demos)

But don’t upgrade if you have any DRM licenses installed on your device. Installing RockBox kills all DRM features…

@mbirth wrote:

But don’t upgrade if you have any DRM licenses installed on your device. Installing RockBox kills all DRM features…

To expand on that a little: Rockbox permanently nukes DRM capabilities, even if you uninstall Rockbox.

(that is still the case, isn’t it?)

@gwk1967 wrote:

To expand on that a little: Rockbox permanently nukes DRM capabilities, even if you uninstall Rockbox.

(that is still the case, isn’t it?)

From what I read on the Rockbox forum this might not be the case anymore. Initially Rockbox did something to the Fuze’s internal clock which butchered DRM. People report their DRM’d files still work now when they go back to the Sandisk firmware.

The reason it has been vague is that none of the developers have any DRM’d tracks to test with.

On the Clip+ forum, regarding the pitch bug, Slotmonsta said that a fix is coming for the Clip+ and the Fuze, so something is coming.

Hi, I’ve been running a Rockbox test build on my Fuze V1 8GB with 4GB microsd for three weeks now with no problems.

See http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=22137.0 

Others using this forum have indicated that the DRM function was lost in early builds and has been corrected.

I can only vouch for the music capabilities which have many more features than the standard Fuze.  The dual booting feature gives you the best of both worlds.

As far as I can see, the Rockbox OS provides just about everything you could ever ask for with access to much greater menu and screen flexibility.

I still believe that the Sansa guys have provided a rock solid product, but if you are looking for more features and custom display capability, you may want to experiment with Rockbox.

Note that Rockbox Fuze is not supported…it is currently in the test phase.  Check out the link.

Does Rockbox allow for true folder navigation (which is to say, it doesn’t need to compile a new “database” every time you swap microSD cards)?

Yes, just use the Files Menu.

@yelped wrote:

No, it doesn’t. He specifically asked if it had “true” folder navigation that doesn’t require a database rebuild. It does have folder navigation, but every time the microSDHC card is moved, changed, or looked-at funny, the Fuze requires a “refresh” (rebuilding the database). This flaw makes it disapointing for some, and frankly rather unusable for some situations (considering the long delays when using large cards)

@charliesummers wrote:

@yelped wrote:

No, it doesn’t. He specifically asked if it had “true” folder navigation that doesn’t require a database rebuild. It does have folder navigation, but every time the microSDHC card is moved, changed, or looked-at funny, the Fuze requires a “refresh” (rebuilding the database). This flaw makes it disapointing for some, and frankly rather unusable for some situations (considering the long delays when using large cards)

Read the posts again…dennisqwilson was asking about true folder navigation with Rockbox firmware, not the regular firmware. yelped’s answer was talking about Rockbox , not the stock firmware.

If there’s one feature of the OF that Rockbox doesn’t do easily its the ability to play a ‘folder’: specifically a folder with subfolders (ie: a folder “Beatles” with subfolders of several albums, there’s no ‘play all’ selection at the ‘Beatles’ folder level like the OF). I know you can do it by creating a playlist, but that’s too much effort just to listen to a  few albuims.

@timn wrote:
If there’s one feature of the OF that Rockbox doesn’t do easily its the ability to play a ‘folder’: specifically a folder with subfolders (ie: a folder “Beatles” with subfolders of several albums, there’s no ‘play all’ selection at the ‘Beatles’ folder level like the OF). I know you can do it by creating a playlist, but that’s too much effort just to listen to a  few albuims.

You probably have “auto change directory” set to “No”.  Set it to yes and it will recursively play folders like you would expect:

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansae200/rockbox-buildch7.html#x10-1260007.10 

Alternatively you can just hold down select and queue folders if you don’t want this to happen automatically.   

The comment “Alternatively you can just hold down select and queue folders if you don’t want this to happen automatically.”  confuses me…   there’s no ‘queue’  do you mean “add to playlist”? I see no way to queue up a directory on a ‘long select’  only cut, copy etc  of course I’m no expert on RB

I’ve got a couple of questions to the developers of the OS for Sansa Fuze…

I wonder WHY on earth do I need the annoying and time-consuming REFRESHING DATABASE operation if I use ONLY radio and access files using ONLY folder browsing?  :dizzy_face:

Because they have no idea that you only use folder browsing (and that design may also require a database refresh)

@etoja wrote:

I wonder WHY on earth do I need the annoying and time-consuming REFRESHING DATABASE operation if I use ONLY radio and access files using ONLY folder browsing?  :dizzy_face:

Because the firmware is designed and written for millions of people using their devices in many, many different ways. They didn’t just write it with you in mind, you know.

And your 2nd question? . . .

:stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

@etoja wrote:

Because the firmware is designed and written for millions of people using their devices in many, many different ways. They didn’t just write it with you in mind, you know.

I daresay there are a great many of us who desire navigation by folder, with no reliance on any “database” and its attendant penalties.  At least give us the option to switch.

And I am one of those who would prefer folder navigation even if there would be no database at all in a player. By the way, this was the reason I bought iAudio U5 player which has no database at all with one of firmwares. But Rockbox can make of Fuze a much better player. 

@tapeworm wrote:

@etoja wrote:

You have just replied to my second question. The first one was why I need a database refresh if I use, for instance, ONLY RADIO on that player?   :smiley:

Actually both my questions are rhetorical ones. I am annoyed that there is no option to opt out of the database refresh. Among the “million of people using their devices in many, many different ways”  there should be some acquainted with computer folder structure. I disagree with this definition of Sansa OS - “million people using in many, many different ways” is more appropriate for RockBox. For me all this tag based database is just a nuisance - I use it for audiobooks.

As I said before in my postings the folder browsing is a strong selling point and it is not implemented properly in Fuze - which is a pity. I know some people who wouldn’t buy it just because of it.There is also a requirement to have a direct shortcut to folders from welcoming screen.

The recent lame introduction of folder browsing was a step in the right direction but is can’t be compared with the likes of Cowon.

Message Edited by Etoja on 10-09-2009 07:24 AM

No one is forcing you to get a Fuze.  de-Fuzed