Sansa Fuze Firmware Update 01.02.26 & 02.02.26

@ewelot wrote:

@snowcrash wrote:

Can someone please tell me how many levels of folders are possible in Folder\File view? For example, is it possible to set up a U2 folder with 1980’s as a subfolder and the names of each of their albums as an additional subfolder?  Such a setup would have four levels of folders: Group-Decade-Album Name-Songs.  I currently don’t have a Fuze but am considering one after the latest firmware upgrade.

Message Edited by snowcrash on 04-22-2009 01:18 PM

I just checked out with four and even five levels of directories. No problems at all. Both folder browsing and original tag based browsing are working fine. Note that I’am transferring files in MSC mode only.

You should get a Fuze now!

That’s great news!  Previously, my options for folder viewing were pretty limited.  The Samsungs, for example allow for folders but no subfolders.  I was going to get a Sony Walkman because it can handle folders up to eight levels.  With Folder\File view now available, the Fuze is a much better choice because of the external memory capability.

Ewelot, thanks! That’s great. Didn’t expect it would go that deep and it is a nice implementation indeed.

@snowcrash

I tried to find the limit for the number of folder levels. Maybe I could beat the Sony Walkman? …

But I gave up at MUSIC/dir1/11/111/1111/11111/111111/0702/0801/0901/something.mp3 which is still working properly :dizzy_face:

Wow. That’s awesome.  Looks like you got up to 11 folder levels.  I’ll never need that many, but four or five levels without a glitch is great.

Thanks again Sandisk for putting in folder nav in this update.

There is a problem with folder navigation: Some folders can be merged.
I don’t know if it has already been reported.

Here is my “real” folder structure :

MUSIC
  + M
    + En Tête A Tête
      * 01 - Mon Ego.ogg
      * …
  + Madona
    + GHV2
      * 01 - Deeper And Deeper.ogg
      * …
    + The Immaculate Collection
      * 01 - Holiday.ogg
      * …

Here is the structure that I see using folder navigation :

MUSIC
  + Madona
    + En Tête A Tête
      * 01 - Mon Ego.ogg
      * …
    + GHV2
      * 01 - Deeper And Deeper.ogg
      * …
    + The Immaculate Collection
      * 01 - Holiday.ogg
      * …

Actually, yes.  I have noticed this.  But for me it was folder “1” combined with folder “10” but it was resolved by using folder “01” instead.

Except it’s difficult with a singer called “M”! Maybe with -M-?

By the way, in French, no capitals on every word. It should be « En tête-à-tête » :slight_smile: I know Amazon and Fnac have now the very bad habit of adding capitals letters when they are not needed (and removing diacritics in the process…), just because that’s the way it’s done in English, but that’s no reason to do the same :stuck_out_tongue:

cf. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage\_des\_majuscules\_en\_français#Titres\_d.27.C5.93uvres\_ou\_de\_p.C3.A9riodiques

So for M, the songs should be called:

Mon ego

Monde virtuel

Attaba

La Bonne Étoile

Souvenir du futur

Le Blues de Metz

Quand je vais chez elle

Onde sensuelle

À tes souhaits

Mama Sam

Ma mélodie

Flocon, fighting for correct French spelling in general, and correct alphabetic order on the fuze :slight_smile:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=featuresuggestions&thread.id=997

Now after all that initial joy about folder browsing it is becoming slightly annoying. I do find it illogical that the FOLDERS shortcut is placed at the end of the whole list of functions under MUSIC shortcut. This is too important function (and a great selling point) and shouldn’t be hidden. The best way is to put a special separate FOLDERS shortcut alongside with Music, System, Video, Photo, Fm Radio on the welcoming screen.

As an audiobook listener I never use the list of functions under Music apart from Folders. 

PS. And contiuning being logical: that would be a good thing to rename the Music shortcut to “Sound” shortcut. Podcasts and Audiobooks can hardly be categorized as “music”.

Message Edited by Etoja on 04-26-2009 06:06 AM

@etoja wrote:

Now after all that initial joy about folder browsing it is becoming slightly annoying. I do find it illogical that the FOLDERS shortcut is placed at the end of the whole list of functions under MUSIC shortcut. This is too important function (and a great selling point) and shouldn’t be hidden. The best way is to put a special separate FOLDERS shortcut alongside with Music, System, Video, Photo, Fm Radio on the welcoming screen.

As an audiobook listener I never use the list of functions under Music apart from Folders. 

PS. And contiuning being logical: that would be a good thing to rename the Music shortcut to “Sound” shortcut. Podcasts and Audiobooks can hardly be categorized as “music”.

Message Edited by Etoja on 04-26-2009 06:06 AM

I also listen to audiobooks/podcasts far more often than folders.  I wouldn’t mind that they’re at the bottom of the list,  if I could scroll “up” from the top directly to the bottom, and vice-versa, like we can inside song lists. The option to reverse the Music menu order in Settings would also work: folders, audiobooks, podcasts…

The option to put “spoken” or “audio” on the main menu for audiobook, podcast, perhaps voice recording, would be nice but a lot more work (would need a pretty icon, to name one.)

Ok, sorry to be a pain in the neck.  Just installed the update to my dad’s 8gb fuze, which went fine.  Until we took it off the USB cable and now the drated thing is stuck at start screen with Sansa logo.  Help. I don’t want to have to buy him new one.  If I have to put all the music back on, I don’t care. Help

Message Edited by misscrystalyn on 05-09-2009 11:34 PM

slide the power switch up for 15 seconds and then turn it on

@reviewboy wrote:

I also listen to audiobooks/podcasts far more often than folders. 

Well, I actually listen to audiobook/podcasts via folders choice :)  The introduction of folders was the reason I’ve bought the Fuze in the first place. I don’t use playlists, genres or other stuff. 

PS. Bookmarks! Bookmarks! The firmware badly need proper listed bookmarks. The RESUME which works good at the moment is hardly can be called bookmarking.

Message Edited by Etoja on 04-26-2009 01:30 PM

Sorry if I may sound like some guy who doesn’t know what he’s talking about, but what’s so extremely important about folder browsing? It’s arranged exactly the same way in the folders as it was before the update.

Actually, alot of people use it in place of playlists.  They like to easily organize their music via MSC mode on their computer.  It can be a pain otherwise to put playlists together in MTP mode.

thats what i was saying

Did that.

@saxmaster765 wrote:
Sorry if I may sound like some guy who doesn’t know what he’s talking about, but what’s so extremely important about folder browsing? It’s arranged exactly the same way in the folders as it was before the update.

Eh… you mean the playlists show the files as they arranged in folders? Well, I really have no time to generate playlists for audiobooks which can have a couple of hundred files. And besides I think in folders not in playlists - the computer habit you may say… :slight_smile: I just can’t perceive a device without a folder browsing as a mp3 player.

The playlists are mainly for the music.

Crystalyn - congratulations!  I ran into that freezing problem myself just a week ago - that was scary! :slight_smile:

Message Edited by Etoja on 04-26-2009 04:35 PM

Thank You for DIRECTORIES support!!! Fuze is now perfect player for me!!! Great customer support! :smileyvery-happy:

Now I can listen to my old messy MP3s directories :slight_smile:

So what did you do to get it working…didn’t have problems with my two 4gb fuzes. I’d hate to call tech support.

@misscrystalyn wrote:

So what did you do to get it working…didn’t have problems with my two 4gb fuzes. I’d hate to call tech support.

Oops. I have wrongly assumed you kept the switch up for 15 seconds and it was back to normal (which was my case). Obviously the upgrade gone somewhere wrong. If I were you I would format the player via computer in FAT32 and drag and drop the bin file again. Are you sure you are using the right version of the firmware?

PS. To be honest, I never formatted the Fuze via computer, only via Fuze inside format option.

Message Edited by Etoja on 04-27-2009 05:00 PM