Sansa Fuze Battery Meter wrong...not showing full charge

I recently purchased a Sansa Fuze and I love it. However, I notced that the battery meter never shows full. I charged it overnight the one night and the meter shows about half full on the Sansa screen. However, when I right click on Sansa on My Computer, it shows 100% Battey life. How can I fix the Sansa screen to show the correct battery life? Is there a factory reset or something? And if I do that, does it erase everything on the Fuze?

Do you have the latest firmware version 1.01.11?  Possibly, updating your firmware may help with the resolution issue.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I have the latest firmware installed.  I noticed that my PC may have not been running at full power though.  We have brown-outs in my area.  I actually had my Sansa Fuze chared up, but it actually DISCHARGED!  I plugged it in at work today and it was only 61% charged today.  I hope I do not have a defective Fuze.  I will charge again here at work during my meeting to see what it says after that and see if the battery meter is full. 

Try letting the battery go all the way down until the Fuze automatically shuts itself down.  That will (probably) recalibrate the battery meter for you.

Hello-

I just got a Sansa Fuze 2gb, and I have the same problem.  After it is plugged in and indicates a full charge, I unplug it and it instantly shows the battery guage at half.  I have the latest firmware, and it has done this since I received it a few days ago.

Any ideas?  I can try to let it run down to see if it resets the battery indicator, but it sounds like it may be a bug somewhere (as we both have the exact same issue - unless both our batteries need resetting, probably not likely?)

It could have something to do with our names being similar-

thanks!

Johnny

Guys, don’t worry. The battery needs to go through 4 or 5 charge cycles before it reaches its capacity, and starts behaving normally. If after you unplug it and the charge indicator drops from a full charge to half a charge, if you attach it again and let it charge will the meter go back to a full charge after a while? Will it stay at a full charge after the player is disconnected?

Hi JK98-

I had just seen another thread on here and even a magazine review mention the battery guage problem, so I wanted to make sure my experience was on here also, to try and get this resolved.  It is a nice player and to see it have a problem like this continue would be a shame.

About the 4-5 charge cycles, I’ll just keep an eye on the guage then and see if it improves over time.  The battery has never yet had the chance to run down fully.  (I have been having some minor WMP 11 sync issues also - I’ve been trying to fix those and may post about it in another thread).  I had been using the player some and charging / syncing it about 3 times.

About your questions, here is as an example: yesterday I charged / synced it fully, disconnected it, meter went to half, used for maybe 3-4 hours and meter barely moved.  Today I plugged it back in and it should report (as it has the past few times) a full charge in about 10 minutes.  I have not seen the player report a full charge once when it has been unplugged.  Once I unplug it in a bit, if I get anything other than a 1/2 charge reading I will post an update.  (if no email after 30 minutes assume it is behaving the same)

thanks for your help-

Johnny

The first few times my Fuze wouldn’t indicate a full charge, even if I connected it for a long time. After I ran the battery down to around half a charge a few times, the battery started acting better, and indicating a full charge after a reasonable amount of time.

you should charge the fuze battery for at least 3 1/2 hrs for a full charge dont worry about the battery indicator.

@drlucky wrote:
you should charge the fuze battery for at least 3 1/2 hrs for a full charge dont worry about the battery indicator.

Good point, but one should be able to depend on the battery charge indicator for at least a reasonably accurate reading. Showing only 1/2 charge when it is actually 100% is not anywhere close.

Hi,

Just a note my wife’s 4 gb unit did this once. I charged her unit when it was down to half or a little less then half charge and it took about  2 1/2 hours to show full charge with no lighting bolt showing… I unplugged the player an the charge indicator went right back to half… I shut down the unit and then turned it back on and it showed full charge… I’ll have to keep a eye on it the next few times i charge it…  Just thought you should know that at least a few of us experience this issue along with you!!  The first 3 or 4 charges we had no issues… I hope this is just a firmware glitch that will be worked out eventually… George

Message Edited by George-W on 10-03-2008 08:36 AM

Yes it’s me again with more info.  Well I ran it today until it powered off, plugged it in and charged it fully, and (crossing my fingers) unplugged it and did get different results this time - only the battery meter showed only a tiny bit of the green charge meter.  ???  Just ran it for a few minutes, turned it off and back on, and now it shows the meter at half again.  Will fully discharge and recharge it a few more times and see if anything changes.

If nothing much changes after a few more cycles, does anyone know if Sandisk actively monitors these boards or should I submit a ticket?

thanks-

Johnny

@zanther4 wrote:

If nothing much changes after a few more cycles, does anyone know if Sandisk actively monitors these boards or should I submit a ticket?

There’s been 2 or 3 SanDisk people here most of the day since they released not only the new Fuze firmware update, but also 2 different Clip version updates. It’s nice to know they were here for support. I imagine they’ll be checking in & monitoring the forum more frequently than usual for the next few days, or until they’re sure everyone’s comfortable with the changes and there are no major problems. :smiley:

George is correct.If for instance you have a half a charge left on your battery and plug it in to recharge,the battery gauge won’t show a full charge until the Fuze is turned off a then on again.At least thats what mine does.It’s a non-issue for me to tell the truth. 

@shmince wrote:
It’s a non-issue for me to tell the truth. 

Does this mean you always or never tell the truth? :smileyvery-happy:

Always! For sure,you betcha…must be more careful with the punctuation.

Message Edited by shmince on 10-05-2008 04:15 AM

so you telling me that this need ne on charging about 3 1/2 hours.

@tapeworm wrote:

@drlucky wrote:

Good point, but one should be able to depend on the battery charge indicator for at least a reasonably accurate reading. Showing only 1/2 charge when it is actually 100% is not anywhere close.

My SANSA 200 4GB started only charging to the 1/2 way point a few months ago. I used to get a full 12 hours playtime on a full charge. Now I get about 6 if I am lucky. So it is only charging to the 1/2 way point, according to my prior experience.

I searched all of the forums and cannot find a fix. I even bought a new battery. SOS.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this, or am I just SOL?