Sansa Fuze 8GB - Music File Problems

Just purchased a Sansa Fuze 8GB player and figured it would be easy to get some music loaded to listen to. Have had all sorts of strange things happening:

1. Have dragged music files from my computer to the Sansa - no problems doing this - though on one occasion I received a message saying that there was some copyright issue (this is from a legit CD that I’m trying to transfer music from)

2. When I go to play the music the first song will play, but when I try to skip to the next song - the file will skip multiples and then no song will play even though the Fuze is showing that something is actually playing.

3. I’ve tried to delete files from the Fuze both in Windows Explorer and also on the Fuze itself - seems though it appears I delete them, they keep reappearing.

Thoughts or suggestions - I’m about ready to take this contraption back to the store and go to the “DARK” side - and buy an iPod after all!

Thanks for any assistance!!!

Let’s start with something simple.  Do you use a music managing program?  (Rhapsody, Windows Media Player, Real Player, Media Monkey, etc.)  Try transferring with one of those applications and post back!

If you really want to drag and drop, try switching to MSC mode.  Settings->System Settings->USB Mode->MSC

Hope this helps!

XC Fan

What file format is the music? WMA works good with the Fuze, as well as mp3 files.

The file formats were WMA as it turns out.

We’re using the 8GB Fuze and downloaded the latest Firmware to it as well. Still having problems. We tried both loading music from Windows Media Player as well as just drag and dropping from Windows Explorer. Crazy thing is that some of the music showed on the Fuze as playing, but it really didn’t play. Also there were music files that though we kept deleting them off the Fuze they just kept popping back on! Folders that get deleted but then reappear - I’m wondering if we just ended up with a messed up piece of equipment and will consider taking it back and replacing it or will return it and buy an iPod.

Used Windows Media Player first - when we encountered some odd problems we then switched to drag and drop from Windows Explorer. The file formats were WMA as it turns out.

We’re using the 8GB Fuze and downloaded the latest Firmware to it as well. Still having problems. We tried both loading music from Windows Media Player as well as just drag and dropping from Windows Explorer. Crazy thing is that some of the music showed on the Fuze as playing, but it really didn’t play. Also there were music files that though we kept deleting them off the Fuze they just kept popping back on! Folders that get deleted but then reappear - I’m wondering if we just ended up with a messed up piece of equipment and will consider taking it back and replacing it or will return it and buy an iPod.

What is the MSC mode? I’ll look at that-- Any suggestions how to get the Fuze totally cleared out and start from scratch?

Thanks,

@sdanl22 wrote:

What is the MSC mode? I’ll look at that-- Any suggestions how to get the Fuze totally cleared out and start from scratch?

Thanks,

The MSC mode I think makes the Fuze act like a removable drive. If you want to format your Fuze (start all over) go to settings on your Fuze, then system settings then press on format. Say yes, and the device formats itself. I WOULD SUGGEST BACKING UP ALL OF YOUR FILES ON YOUR FUZE BEFORE DOING THIS. See if that works.

Message Edited by pringles on 04-12-2009 04:41 PM

Yeah, like Pringles said, try formatting it.  Once you switch to MSC mode (see my previous post for instructions) make sure that you drag and drop into the MUSIC folder.  You can have whatever folder structure within there.  (Artist/Album/Track, Album/Track, etc.)  You said that some files appear as they are playing, but you can’t hear anything?  Try playing them in WMP (Windows Media Player).  You also might try reripping them.

I really hope you can get this working!  It’s a really great little piece of technology once you get it setup.  Good luck!

Slow down for a second.

Formatting removes all the content you have added. Make sure your songs are backed up on your computer. 

MSC mode turns the Sansa into the same thing as a thumb drive. You can just drag-and-drop albums over. Make a new folder on it–My Music, Satanic Mud Wrestling, whatever–and put your music there. 

MTP mode works with Windows Media Player. But Windows Media Player is a devious dictatorial piece of…software. 

First, it has to be Windows Media Player 10 or 11. Windows XP had WMP 9, so look at Help/About/Version on WMP and see if you need to update. 

Once you have the right WMP, click on Tools (or if you don’t see Tools, right-click on the very top of the window and 

the menu with Tools should pop up). Look at Rip Music. You may, because WMP is so sneaky, be ripping your CDs to WMA with copy protection, which causes all sorts of trouble.

Change the format (in the drop-down box) from .wma  to .mp3, and pick fairly high quality, like 192 kbps. mp3 is compatible with everything, and it may solve your problems.