Sansa Fuze 01.01.15 Latest Firmware Download

@sansaclause wrote:

My Sansa Fuze (4GB) locks up after approx. every 3rd ogg-song. And most of my songs are ogg.

This makes the Fuze unusable for me. I actually bought it because I red about the new Ogg support.

Together with the skipping/stuttering if backlight goes off (both for mp3 and ogg), the player is a really poor choice.

I am really disappointed and might send it back…

Or is there a fix coming soon ?

:cry: martin

You can help Sandisk fixing the freeze bug by sending the files where the Fuze freezes most often or even always to support@sandisk.com. I already sent them two files with a reproducable freeze at the very end of playing the first one. Which was an Ogg Vorbis file as well. See http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=6284 .

Melchior.

1. Why folders?  Tags work fine.

2. Use of AA battery would be great except the size of the unit would be much larger.  Actually the fuze is great.  An AA model should be an aditional one.

3. AM would be impossible for a unit this size as the antenna which is a carbon rod with a coil would make the unit much larger.  With FM, the earphones are the antenna.

4. Agree with you there.  However adding a second jack would mean a larger player.

5. You don’t want much do you?  :-)  Much bigger unit.

6. This plus all the above would make a much larger more expensive player.

You basically want a new player, not a modification of the Fuze.

@cfsacks wrote:

1. Why folders?  Tags work fine. 

Not as good as folder trees. ID3 tags require a lot of attention and are just too picky about some things. Before I exhaustively cleaned up all of my tags, changes in letter casing would cause duplicate entries. On my ipod, in the Genre navigation, Metal and metal would be two seperate things. Ridiculous.

“. Why folders?  Tags work fine.”

Tags don’t work fine if they are missing or if there are slight variations in the album or artist tag, and some items sort separately. Tags don’t work fine for classical music, where the artist tag might have the composer’s name or the performer’s name. If there were separate tags for composer and for performer, then tags would work much better. Tags don’t work well for podcasts that you want grouped together. Who wants to have to edit tags so the podcast can be put on the player to be listened to once.

“AM would be impossible for a unit this size as the antenna which is a carbon rod with a coil would make the unit much larger.  With FM, the earphones are the antenna.”

AM radio would make the unit slightly larger, but not huge. Have you seen some of the very small AM/FM radios? Adding AM to a player that already has FM wouldn’t increase the size much.

i am having the same problem with my ogg files causing a crash.  it’s requires resetting to reactivate.

i bought one of these things on ebay because of the ogg/flac support added.  good call, sansa.  i like the little thing so far too.

@jk98 wrote:

AM radio would make the unit slightly larger, but not huge. Have you seen some of the very small AM/FM radios? Adding AM to a player that already has FM wouldn’t increase the size much.

Maybe not, but is there REALLY enough of a demand for AM radio that it would be worth the expense to SanDisk to add it?

@wccd wrote:

Serious malfunction here…updated the firmware…after getting the all clear to unplug the Fuze, got a white screen. I did a hard shut down, now all I get is a blue-greenish screen that’s in the lower right hand corner of the screen. It will not boot up into a greeting screen at all, will not stay powered, it simply does not go anywhere.

Edit: It’s far worse than I imagined. Right now the Fuze is plugged into the pc and the pc isn’t even recognizing the connection to the device.

Second Edit: Now, it won’t shut down at all and the screen is still there .

Help…please. 

Message Edited by wccd on 10-10-2008 04:58 PM

If you have a microsd card inserted, try taking out the card and see what happens…

Something simiar happened to me and removing the card cleared it up…

Hope that works

Message Edited by Ron360 on 10-30-2008 10:23 PM

Message Edited by Ron360 on 10-30-2008 10:24 PM

@jk98 wrote:

It amazes me that mp3 player makers make their models so similar to existing models they have made, or that other manufacturers have made. While there are so many mp3 player models, none come close to having all the features I want. I hesitantly bought the Fuze two months ago, knowing that it lacks many features I want. If Sandisk wants more market share in mp3 players, they should concentrate on what most other mp3 player makers don’t provide.

1. Navigation by folders or by tags
  1. Use of a AA or AAA battery
  1. Having both AM and FM radio
  1. Having the ability to record in mp3 with a user selectable

bitrate and having a microphone jack

1. Having more than one card slot on a player, and the ability to change one card

while the player continues to play off the other card or internal memory.

1. Including a skin with a clip on it in the box with the player.

I guess I won’t hold my breath waiting for Sandisk or any other mp3 player maker

to make a player that I would be truly satisfied with. The annoying thing is that

there used to be a nice selection of AAA battery based players a few years ago,

and now there are so few models available.

The AA battery idea would make it impossible for players to be as slim as they are…

People also want thin players so as long as Ipod’s continue to be industry leaders other companies will try to 

come as close as they can to the slim design as they can…

I too like the idea of user replacable batteries but sound quality and cost are my chief concerns 

as with most people I would say…

AM radio would be nice too but I havent found any that are made in the US that include that

Message Edited by Ron360 on 10-30-2008 10:24 PM

A compromise between non-replaceable batteries and AAA batteries would be replaceable lithium-ion type batteries.  It’d be nice to have a Sansa that had a slim replaceable battery that just slides off the back of the player. 

@promisedplanet wrote:

A compromise between non-replaceable batteries and AAA batteries would be replaceable lithium-ion type batteries.  It’d be nice to have a Sansa that had a slim replaceable battery that just slides off the back of the player. 

Even adding a battery access cover would be likely to add bulk. The cover would have to be durable and survive handling which would mean it was thicker than the existing case, it would have to clear the internals (where clearance is not an issue for non moving parts) and would need a latching mechanism. All of that would increase thickness.

@ron360 wrote:

AM radio would be nice too but I havent found any that are made in the US that include that

You mean there are _ ANY _ brands at all that are “MADE IN THE USA”? I thought China has the market sewn up.

@tapeworm wrote:

@ron360 wrote:

You mean there are _ ANY _ brands at all that are “MADE IN THE USA”? I thought China has the market sewn up.

I stand corrected…“any that are available in the US”
Message Edited by Ron360 on 10-31-2008 09:28 AM

appears to be a very long pause when deleting a podcast since the upgrade. Is this normal and when will it be fixed.

Dave

"“The AA battery idea would make it impossible for players to be as slim as they are…”

Why must a player be so thin? It doesn’t work better if it is thinner. It doesn’t make you any thinner having a thinner player. :slight_smile: Why the obsession with thinness?

A replaceable lion battery wouldn’t be good, unless it is very easy to find and very inexpensive. Using a AA or AAA

battery would be so much better. I hate the idea of charging a battery within a player. I want to be able to charge up to 4 batteries at a time in a wall charger. AA or AAA batteries are good for that.

@jk98 wrote:

"“The AA battery idea would make it impossible for players to be as slim as they are…”

Why must a player be so thin? It doesn’t work better if it is thinner. It doesn’t make you any thinner having a thinner player. :slight_smile: Why the obsession with thinness?

A thinner player is much easier to carry in the pocket and will tend to be lighter too. Those are important attributes in a portable device.

Creative used to have some players with replaceable LiIon batteries. They never sold well. Its just one of those things that people complain about, but when it comes to actually buying they’ll pick whatever is thinnest (usually an iPod).

“Thin is In!”

Just look at the popularity and consumer buzz that happened when the Motorola _ RAZR _ phone came out a couple years back. Turn it sideways and you can barely see it.

AND . . . they’re still popular.

Ya the wife just got a Motorola Moto W755 purple " by the way battery life ■■■■■ during talk time so far, have to give it a few good charges to see if it gets any better"… Point is that the battery cover is paper thin and takes up no more space then the case itself… Yes it could be done with the Fuze or should I say what ever model they come out with to replace it…  The fuze was made  disposable  by design!  Just the way it is!  George

That may be true, but there are other ways of facilitating battery access. Four small screws on the back panel, visible and accesible would make it infinitely easier to open the case than prying it open, not to mention the ugly marks which are invariably left.

I have been (and still am) a very happy Clip user. I recently have acquired a Fuze and updated to the latest firmware, and have a few feature requests:

1. (Optionally) display year/month/date in addition to hour:minute while te music is playing;
  2. (Optionally) allow using smaller font to fit more information on screen. I listen to the Economist audio edition, and the tracks are named like “12 United States - Swing states: our conclusions” (that is, number, section name and then title). The number 1 reason why I wanted to switch to Fuze was because I hoped its larger screen can show more information per line to make it easier to choose tracks, it is a bit dissapointing for me.
  3. Alternatively, (optionally) scroll all entries in the list when they are too long to fitwithin the width of the screen, instead of scrolling only the one that the cursor is currently at.
  4. Improved font. If you have tracks named in Japanese, the imbalance between kana and kanji characters is quite an eyesore. Clip with its much smaller screen shows them much much better. Fuze should be able to do better.
  5. For audiobooks and podcasts, add more playback speeds, perhaps “Faster” and “Slower”.  Currently “Fast” seems to play at about 20% faster than normal, but often I find myself wanting to speed it up even more.

Message Edited by clipuser on 11-04-2008 04:37 PM