Sansa Fuze 01.01.15 Latest Firmware Download

I really wish there was a way to queue up only certain albums/artists/songs/etc. Say I want to listen only to Artist X and also Artist Y. I can select Artist X, but I can’t add Artist Y to the list, I have to choose one or the other.

Something similar to the “Enqueue in Winamp” right-click option in Winamp.

Pretty please?

Hi everyone,

the new support for ogg and flac is really great (I actually bought the Fuze again because of it). Still I noticed another problem: Sometimes, the Fuze locks up at the end of playing a file. It can only be switched off then, and even this just by holding the switch for a few seconds. When switching it back on again, the player reloads the media database. This seems to happen with ogg files only, so far. I will do more testing over the next few days.

Regards,

soenke

Additional info:

Sansa Fuze 2GB

FW updated manually

Play mode tested: shuffle

@cosmocat wrote:

And I want to take advantage of the congratulation to bring some ideas / wishes :

• play a little sound (like a beep) at the end of the playlist to let be aware of that

cosmocat,

– I like an “end-of-the-list” cue, as well, so I converted a .wav file sound effect (mine’s a doorbell) to an MP3.  I always load it as the last song in a playlist.  As long as you don’t shuffle the list, it works just fine

– Ed

Many thanks for the Ogg support. It was the only thing missing.

I got my Fuze yesterday. Thank you very much for continuing to support the Fuze and adding features. I especially like the Ogg Vorbis and FLAC format support, it works flawlessly :):), actually this was a key feature for me and without it I wouldn’t have bought the Fuze so willingly.

One thing that annoyed me was that the Fuze crashed sometimes. Then it needs to be reset to work again.
Sometimes while in the middle of a song. Two times at the end of two songs, but this might be because i converted them from yourube videos to Ogg files with VLC and VLC might have messed something up.

However, the most ridiculous crash was when no music or radio was playing at all! It happened when I choose light blue as background colour, then choose dark blue and the screen simply froze :D:D:D. Fascinating that this task can overwhelm the player :D. Maybe I was just scrolling to fast for it to compute. However, this is only an minor annoyance, as reset works always. Maybe you could employ people as product tester who click and scroll as fast as possible ;).

And i second the German Translation bug. In empty menus it shows in brackets “Leeg” . This should be “Leer” :).

Greetings from Germany
Melchior.

Message Edited by melchior on 10-23-2008 08:39 PM

Message Edited by melchior on 10-23-2008 08:40 PM

Hi SansaMe,

1. Can you please answer to my replay from 10-15-2008 04:31 AM.

(The difference between the AMERICAS and the EUROPE firmware?)

1. Have you seen the German translation bug?

(Reply from 10-15-2008 05:13 AM)

Thanks,

Andreas

My Sansa Fuze (4GB) locks up after approx. every 3rd ogg-song. And most of my songs are ogg.

This makes the Fuze unusable for me. I actually bought it because I red about the new Ogg support.

Together with the skipping/stuttering if backlight goes off (both for mp3 and ogg), the player is a really poor choice.

I am really disappointed and might send it back…

Or is there a fix coming soon ?

:cry: martin

question: if you buy a new player, does the latest firmware already come installed?

@newbee wrote:
question: if you buy a new player, does the latest firmware already come installed?

Chances are no, since the device was probably manufactured before the firmware was released. Kinda like how that computer I bought two years ago didn’t have Vista installed on it. (Don’t worry - it still doesn’t. :slight_smile: )

Firmware is very easy to install using the Sansa Update software. Totally automated.

Message Edited by SilverZero on 10-28-2008 05:24 PM

Next firmware release is November…that’s really close.  Hang in there!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I’m planning to get one around christmas, thanks for the info!

best thing that could happen in next release is browse by folder. For me it would be Definetely most useful feature. Would it be possible thing to happen or it will never be added?

I agree. I don’t know if the Sansa devs responded to this request, but hopefully that means we’re in for a surprise? :smiley:

Folder browsing will eliminate the need for database refreshes. But, will it add more life to a battery charge? When browsing the database on my Rockboxed Ipod, that thing works HARD (browsing through menus is also very sluggish) compared to typical folder browsing.  

@animal wrote:
best thing that could happen in next release is browse by folder. For me it would be Definetely most useful feature. Would it be possible thing to happen or it will never be added?

That would probably go a long way toward placating those of us who want to be able to enqueue songs/albums/artists to the music already playing (another pending update, hopefully).

SilverZero wrote: 

That would probably go a long way toward placating those of us who want to be able to enqueue songs/albums/artists to the music already playing (another pending update, hopefully).

if browse-by-folder will lead to the ability to enqueue whole albums/artists instead of individual songs, i’m all for it. this is the most lacking feature on the fuze, in my opinion.

It amazes me that mp3 player makers make their models so similar to existing models they have made, or that other manufacturers have made. While there are so many mp3 player models, none come close to having all the features I want. I hesitantly bought the Fuze two months ago, knowing that it lacks many features I want. If Sandisk wants more market share in mp3 players, they should concentrate on what most other mp3 player makers don’t provide.

1. Navigation by folders or by tags

2. Use of a AA or AAA battery

3. Having both AM and FM radio

4. Having the ability to record in mp3 with a user selectable

bitrate and having a microphone jack

1. Having more than one card slot on a player, and the ability to change one card

while the player continues to play off the other card or internal memory.

1. Including a skin with a clip on it in the box with the player.

I guess I won’t hold my breath waiting for Sandisk or any other mp3 player maker

to make a player that I would be truly satisfied with. The annoying thing is that

there used to be a nice selection of AAA battery based players a few years ago,

and now there are so few models available.

@sansaclause wrote:

My Sansa Fuze (4GB) locks up after approx. every 3rd ogg-song. And most of my songs are ogg.

This makes the Fuze unusable for me. I actually bought it because I red about the new Ogg support.

Together with the skipping/stuttering if backlight goes off (both for mp3 and ogg), the player is a really poor choice.

I am really disappointed and might send it back…

Or is there a fix coming soon ?

:cry: martin

You can help Sandisk fixing the freeze bug by sending the files where the Fuze freezes most often or even always to support@sandisk.com. I already sent them two files with a reproducable freeze at the very end of playing the first one. Which was an Ogg Vorbis file as well. See http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=6284 .

Melchior.

1. Why folders?  Tags work fine.

2. Use of AA battery would be great except the size of the unit would be much larger.  Actually the fuze is great.  An AA model should be an aditional one.

3. AM would be impossible for a unit this size as the antenna which is a carbon rod with a coil would make the unit much larger.  With FM, the earphones are the antenna.

4. Agree with you there.  However adding a second jack would mean a larger player.

5. You don’t want much do you?  :-)  Much bigger unit.

6. This plus all the above would make a much larger more expensive player.

You basically want a new player, not a modification of the Fuze.

@cfsacks wrote:

1. Why folders?  Tags work fine. 

Not as good as folder trees. ID3 tags require a lot of attention and are just too picky about some things. Before I exhaustively cleaned up all of my tags, changes in letter casing would cause duplicate entries. On my ipod, in the Genre navigation, Metal and metal would be two seperate things. Ridiculous.

“. Why folders?  Tags work fine.”

Tags don’t work fine if they are missing or if there are slight variations in the album or artist tag, and some items sort separately. Tags don’t work fine for classical music, where the artist tag might have the composer’s name or the performer’s name. If there were separate tags for composer and for performer, then tags would work much better. Tags don’t work well for podcasts that you want grouped together. Who wants to have to edit tags so the podcast can be put on the player to be listened to once.

“AM would be impossible for a unit this size as the antenna which is a carbon rod with a coil would make the unit much larger.  With FM, the earphones are the antenna.”

AM radio would make the unit slightly larger, but not huge. Have you seen some of the very small AM/FM radios? Adding AM to a player that already has FM wouldn’t increase the size much.