Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

SanDisk Developing 128 GB Micro-SD!!!!

Holy C$%p!

SanDisk Developing 128 GB Micro-SD Card For 2011 Release

I figured we'd have flash players that big by then, but I wasn't thinking MicroSDHC!  Presumably, that means we should see 32GB cards in 2009 and 64GB in 2010.  Which also means 16GB cards should be cheap in the relatively near future.  Sweet...

Now if only you could actually use or navigate that much storage on a Fuze.  Hopefully this will make the file limit issue and lack of indexed searching more likely to be addressed.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: SanDisk Developing 128 GB Micro-SD!!!!

Maybe that is why we're now seeing the newer hardware version of the Fuze. Sansafix said the song limit was a tough nut to crack. Maybe they changed the hardware because they couldn't do it with firmware?  

Notice the date on that news release? Oct. 22, 2008. Almost 2 months ago now. What's the matter with you Skinner? You slackin'? Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Yeah, I was actually searching MicroSDHC prices and stumbled across the article by accident.  I was suprised it hadn't been mentioned here before.
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

@Tapeworm wrote:

Sansafix said the song limit was a tough nut to crack. Maybe they changed the hardware because they couldn't do it with firmware?  

If that's the case then they better be willing to exchange (or credit my purchase price) my unit because it's bad faith to market the Fuze's microsd "expandability" while actually having song limit that renders the feature useless. 

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Robisan wrote:

If that's the case then they better be willing to exchange (or credit my purchase price) my unit because it's bad faith to market the Fuze's microsd "expandability" while actually having song limit that renders the feature useless. 

Yeah . . . good luck with that! Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Perhaps this is the problem with the flash memory card market. Larger sized cards are appearing, however most consumers don't need so much storage. My 8 megapixel digital camera holds over 200 images on a one gig card at its highest quality setting(besides raw) . Do i need to get a 16 gig or 32 gig card for it? Even 4 gigs seems like too much. having a huge amount of music in an mp3 player makes it difficult to rapidly navigate through it, especially if the player doesn't support navigation by folder. Using a higher bitrate could help consume more memory, or one could use a lossless format. Even so, navigating rapidly through so much music on a small devive with a small screen and few controls is a challenge.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Useless?  That's a pretty strong word for something that works perfectly except under one condition.  Besides what would you really do with 3000 songs on a fuze. IMO, the only benefit to having that large of a card is better quality files and maybe more movies.  To be honest, I can't see a real need for a micro sd card with that much storage.
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

@JK98 wrote:
Perhaps this is the problem with the flash memory card market. Larger sized cards are appearing, however most consumers don't need so much storage. My 8 megapixel digital camera holds over 200 images on a one gig card at its highest quality setting(besides raw) . Do i need to get a 16 gig or 32 gig card for it? Even 4 gigs seems like too much. having a huge amount of music in an mp3 player makes it difficult to rapidly navigate through it, especially if the player doesn't support navigation by folder. Using a higher bitrate could help consume more memory, or one could use a lossless format. Even so, navigating rapidly through so much music on a small devive with a small screen and few controls is a challenge.

That's why I've been harping on index based filtering/browsing for a while now (AKA alphabet index).  My 8GB Fuze by itself is already pretty tedious to navigate.   Accelerated scrolling alone will only get you so far.  The combination of index based filtering with accelerated scrolling would allow pretty much any size library to be navigated easilly.  Unfortunately, sansafix basically said it's not going to happen.

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

@shlurpee wrote:
Useless?  That's a pretty strong word for something that works perfectly except under one condition.  Besides what would you really do with 3000 songs on a fuze. IMO, the only benefit to having that large of a card is better quality files and maybe more movies.  To be honest, I can't see a real need for a micro sd card with that much storage.

FLAC becomes a much more realistic option on flash players once we have that kind of storage.  I'd love to be able to stop transcoding my FLACs to MP3, but for now I'd rather have more songs on the player.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

New accelerated scrolling is blazing thru lists.  Its a big improvement here.  You will be happy soon.