SanDisk Developing 128 GB Micro-SD!!!!

Holy C$%p!

SanDisk Developing 128 GB Micro-SD Card For 2011 Release

I figured we’d have flash players that big by then, but I wasn’t thinking MicroSDHC!  Presumably, that means we should see 32GB cards in 2009 and 64GB in 2010.  Which also means 16GB cards should be cheap in the relatively near future.  Sweet…

Now if only you could actually use or navigate that much storage on a Fuze.  Hopefully this will make the file limit issue and lack of indexed searching more likely to be addressed.

Maybe that is why we’re now seeing the newer hardware version of the Fuze. Sansafix said the song limit was a tough nut to crack. Maybe they changed the hardware becaues they couldn’t do it with firmware?

Maybe that is why we’re now seeing the newer hardware version of the Fuze. Sansafix said the song limit was a tough nut to crack. Maybe they changed the hardware because they couldn’t do it with firmware?  

Notice the date on that news release? Oct. 22, 2008. Almost 2 months ago now. What’s the matter with you Skinner? You slackin’? :smileyvery-happy:

Yeah, I was actually searching MicroSDHC prices and stumbled across the article by accident.  I was suprised it hadn’t been mentioned here before.

@tapeworm wrote:

Sansafix said the song limit was a tough nut to crack. Maybe they changed the hardware because they couldn’t do it with firmware?  

_ If _ that’s the case then they better be willing to exchange (or credit my purchase price) my unit because it’s bad faith to market the Fuze’s microsd “expandability” while actually having song limit that renders the feature useless. 

Robisan wrote:

_ If _ that’s the case then they better be willing to exchange (or credit my purchase price) my unit because it’s bad faith to market the Fuze’s microsd “expandability” while actually having song limit that renders the feature useless. 

Yeah . . . good luck with that! :wink:

Robisan wrote:

Yeah . . . good luck with that! :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps this is the problem with the flash memory card market. Larger sized cards are appearing, however most consumers don’t need so much storage. My 8 megapixel digital camera holds over 200 images on a one gig card at its highest quality setting(besides raw) . Do i need to get a 16 gig or 32 gig card for it? Even 4 gigs seems like too much. having a huge amount of music in an mp3 player makes it difficult to rapidly navigate through it, especially if the player doesn’t support navigation by folder. Using a higher bitrate could help consume more memory, or one could use a lossless format. Even so, navigating rapidly through so much music on a small devive with a small screen and few controls is a challenge.

Useless?  That’s a pretty strong word for something that works perfectly except under one condition.  Besides what would you really do with 3000 songs on a fuze. IMO, the only benefit to having that large of a card is better quality files and maybe more movies.  To be honest, I can’t see a real need for a micro sd card with that much storage.

@jk98 wrote:
Perhaps this is the problem with the flash memory card market. Larger sized cards are appearing, however most consumers don’t need so much storage. My 8 megapixel digital camera holds over 200 images on a one gig card at its highest quality setting(besides raw) . Do i need to get a 16 gig or 32 gig card for it? Even 4 gigs seems like too much. having a huge amount of music in an mp3 player makes it difficult to rapidly navigate through it, especially if the player doesn’t support navigation by folder. Using a higher bitrate could help consume more memory, or one could use a lossless format. Even so, navigating rapidly through so much music on a small devive with a small screen and few controls is a challenge.

That’s why I’ve been harping on index based filtering/browsing for a while now (AKA alphabet index).  My 8GB Fuze by itself is already pretty tedious to navigate.   Accelerated scrolling alone will only get you so far.  The combination of index based filtering with accelerated scrolling would allow pretty much any size library to be navigated easilly.  Unfortunately, sansafix basically said it’s not going to happen.

@shlurpee wrote:
Useless?  That’s a pretty strong word for something that works perfectly except under one condition.  Besides what would you really do with 3000 songs on a fuze. IMO, the only benefit to having that large of a card is better quality files and maybe more movies.  To be honest, I can’t see a real need for a micro sd card with that much storage.

FLAC becomes a much more realistic option on flash players once we have that kind of storage.  I’d love to be able to stop transcoding my FLACs to MP3, but for now I’d rather have more songs on the player.

New accelerated scrolling is blazing thru lists.  Its a big improvement here.  You will be happy soon.

I’ll be happy when I don’t have to edit tags, and can just navigate by folders. I realize folder navigation may never come for the Fuze, but hopefully Sandisk will have a choice to navigate by folders or by tags for players they release in 2009. It would be even nicer if one could disable tag navigation and avoid the database update waits. i would think the ability to swap cards without waiting several minutes for a refresh might encourage many people to buy a few cards for their player. Is there any chance we might see a player with more than one card slot?

@jk98 wrote:
Perhaps this is the problem with the flash memory card market. Larger sized cards are appearing, however most consumers don’t need so much storage.

If this were the case, the iPod classic should have disappeared at least a year ago. Instead, they’re still increasing the capacity. I have about 80GB of music, and the downside of the Fuze is that I have to leave most of it behind.

I haven’t tried to navigate on anything that large, though I could imagine it might be time-consuming without at least some alphabetical cues (like the iPod has). The bigger problem will be the database refresh. If it takes four minutes to refresh 16GB, it will take over a half hour to refresh the database with a 128GB card!

@shlurpee wrote:

Well, nobody’s putting a gun to your head and requiring it. :wink:

For me the benefits of larger capacity (and song limit) are two-fold: 1) If I can store/carry my entire library it eliminates the “Do I have it?” question and 2) A large part of my use is Play All + Shuffle, so larger capacity = greater diversity. 

"JK98 wrote:
Perhaps this is the problem with the flash memory card market. Larger sized cards are appearing, however most consumers don’t need so much storage.

If this were the case, the iPod classic should have disappeared at least a year ago. Instead, they’re still increasing the capacity. "

Apple’s player’s don’t have a card slot though. How many people have a large capacity hard drive based player, but put less than 32 gigs of music on it? The built in battery is now the issue for  players with a card slot, rather than finding the amount of memory inadequate. I hate the idea of buying a disposable player that I know will probably be useless within around 3 years.

Why is everyone complaining that is takes a long time to get through lists? With the newest (01.01.15) firmware, I can go to the music list, hold the down or menu button, and it goes through my 526 songs in about 10 seconds. That’s pretty fast, isn’t it?

@ Sansafix: Sounds cool! I can’t wait for the next firmware!

Message Edited by gabe565 on 12-10-2008 04:06 PM

Getting through the song lists wouldn’t be so bad (if they’re intelligently set up) on a 128gb card, but I imagine the database refresh times would be formidable!

@gabe565 wrote:

Why is everyone complaining that is takes a long time to get through lists? With the newest (01.01.15) firmware, I can go to the music list, hold the down or menu button, and it goes through my 526 songs in about 10 seconds. That’s pretty fast, isn’t it?

@ Sansafix: Sounds cool! I can’t wait for the next firmware!

Message Edited by gabe565 on 12-10-2008 04:06 PM

Pushing down in the song list takes me out of the song list…and circular scrolling for 10 seconds only gets me into the “D” songs in 10 seconds, and I currently only have 1223 songs on the Fuze. Sure you’re not thinking of the turbo-scroll on the Clip?

@shlurpee wrote:
Besides what would you really do with 3000 songs on a fuze. IMO, the only benefit to having that large of a card is better quality files and maybe more movies.  To be honest, I can’t see a real need for a micro sd card with that much storage.

I bought my Fuze after searching for the best replacement for my Rio Karma specifically because I thought I could have all my music with me (5000+ tracks as I do with my Karma) with the 8GB internal memory and 16GB card. None of Sansa’s published information that I’m aware of, makes this daft track limit clear to customers.

A better question would be, why would a manufacturer release a DAP capable of using so much storage and cripple it with a low track limit?

If this isn’t fixed, I suspect the Fuze will not only be my first Sansa purchase, but my last too. However, the last word on here from Sansa was that this will be fixed, so I’m assuming that’s still the case. My requirement was for a small form factor, high capacity DAP with excellent sound quality. I thought the Fuze ticked all three boxes, but currently it only ticks two and had I known that, I wouldn’t have bought it yet.

Message Edited by Fifer on 12-11-2008 12:12 PM