SanDisk Developing 128 GB Micro-SD!!!!

@pelago wrote:

@sansafix wrote:

To make your database access quickly its held in RAM.  As the database grows,  it consumes up all the available memory.

Thanks as always for your useful response, sansafix. I hadn’t considered that the device kept the database in RAM, but that makes sense.

One solution might be to have an optional non-database/browse by folder mode, where we could access as many tracks as we like, in a future firmware release.

Hear, hear.  That would confer the excellent additional benefit of letting us swap microSD cards in and out at will.

That’s a great idea.

If the available RAM for the database is the mitigating factor, then allow the user to “disable” the database and simply sort by Folder.

This would effectively eliminate the song limit.

I could switch to either “database mode” or “folder mode”  If the fuze is set to “folder mode” then the database is disabled, and I the user is responsible for naming my folders and track names to provide play order.  (I.E. I have to name my tracks 01-my song.mp3, 02-my song reprise.mp3 etc…)

Provide a 8000 song limit for the database mode… great.  Then for those of us who may actually want to go beyond 8000 tracks, allow us to do so, but simply make us browse the folder directory structure directly to play the tracks. 

This way, browse the folder to an album, and the player would simply play each track in the order as listed in the folder.

Granted, some features such as random shuffle across folders may not be possible in “folder mode”, (shuffle only tracks in a single folder might be possible), but at least it would give us high capacity users to use the files we store.  We’d have to take some sacrifices in functionality that having a fully integrated database provides.  But that would be a valid compromise on my part.

Please, Mr. Sansafix man, see if you can implement an option to switch to a folder view system that can handle more than 8,000.

That would make me very happy!

@dennisqwilson wrote:

Hear, hear.  That would confer the excellent additional benefit of letting us swap microSD cards in and out at will.

You could do that now…you could have 3 8gb microsdhc’s for the price of one 16gb. Sure, you’d have refresh time when you swapped, but think of all that you could be carrying around with you. I know it’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but is it a conceivable workaround? :smiley:

@skinjob wrote:

@gabe565 wrote:

Why is everyone complaining that is takes a long time to get through lists? With the newest (01.01.15) firmware, I can go to the music list, hold the down or menu button, and it goes through my 526 songs in about 10 seconds. That’s pretty fast, isn’t it?

@ Sansafix: Sounds cool! I can’t wait for the next firmware!

Message Edited by gabe565 on 12-10-2008 04:06 PM

I think maybe you’re talking about the Clip’s tubo scrolling (which is quite good).  AFAIK on the Fuze, there’s nothing you can do other than rotate the wheel a million times to get through a big list.

No, I’m 100% sure I’m talking about the Fuze with button scrolling. Maybe it’s because I use a diagnosis version of the firmware?
I just changed to the normal version of the firmware and it doesn’t have button scrolling, but if I go back to diagnosis firmware, it does again. That’s pretty weird! I think I like the diagnosis version better! The only difference I see is button scrolling, and in the system settings menu, there’s an item that says “Diagnosis.” (Edit) I also just discovered that the diagnosis firmware doesn’t reset your settings when you upgrade like the normal version does.

Message Edited by gabe565 on 12-13-2008 08:47 AM

@gabe565 wrote:
No, I’m 100% sure I’m talking about the Fuze with button scrolling. Maybe it’s because I use a diagnosis version of the firmware?
I just changed to the normal version of the firmware and it doesn’t have button scrolling, but if I go back to diagnosis firmware, it does again. That’s pretty weird! I think I like the diagnosis version better! The only difference I see is button scrolling, and in the system settings menu, there’s an item that says “Diagnosis.” (Edit) I also just discovered that the diagnosis firmware doesn’t reset your settings when you upgrade.

Message Edited by gabe565 on 12-12-2008 04:54 PM

Gabe-

Who’s the No + comment directed to? It doesn’t seem to pertain to the last post by Marvin. If you are replying to a previous post that isn’t directly above (or even on the same page anymore), you may want to ‘quote’ the message you are replying to just to keep things straight and refresh everybody’s memory of what was said. :wink:

And where did you get ‘diagnostic’ firmware?

@gabe565 wrote:

What’s this “diagnosis version”?

OK, sorry, I’ll edit it. When you download the firmware, just rename it from “fuzea.bin” to “fuzet.bin.” I think the “t” stands for test. That works for the Clip, too. I’ve been using the diagnosis version and it seems stable. I also noticed another difference, you can’t choose your region on the newest fimware, you can only set language if you try the test mode.

Message Edited by gabe565 on 12-13-2008 08:47 AM

How did you discover this trick about renaming fuzea.bin to fuzet.bin?

@marvin_martian wrote:

@dennisqwilson wrote:

You could do that now…you could have 3 8gb microsdhc’s for the price of one 16gb. Sure, you’d have refresh time when you swapped, but think of all that you could be carrying around with you. I know it’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but is it a conceivable workaround? :smiley:

Yes, except the player still wouldn’t recognize more than 4,000 songs total, so the internal storage would need to be kept empty, or nearly so.  And the refresh time would be punishing. (Another prime benefit of giving us the option to switch to folder-based navigation is the elimination of the detestable “refresh” process.)  So it is, as you suggest, a conceivable workaround, but a far-from-graceful one.

That also creates a problem of how to store and transport multiple micro-SD cards.  Does anyone make a suitable wallet or album for them?

@dennisqwilson wrote:

That also creates a problem of how to store and transport multiple micro-SD cards.  Does anyone make a suitable wallet or album for them?

Office suppy stores like OfficeMax or Office Depot usually have them. I think I even saw one in my local Dollar Tree store the other day. :smiley:

@dennisqwilson wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@dennisqwilson wrote:

Yes, except the player still wouldn’t recognize more than 4,000 songs total, so the internal storage would need to be kept empty, or nearly so.  And the refresh time would be punishing. (Another prime benefit of giving us the option to switch to folder-based navigation is the elimination of the detestable “refresh” process.)  So it is, as you suggest, a conceivable workaround, but a far-from-graceful one.

I don’t remember it off the top of my head, but I’m pretty sure someone does, it was created as an accessory for the SlotMusic player. Then you’d just have to label them somehow. As far as the refresh time…I’m curious if it would be the same for you with more smaller files as it is for me if the amount of card capacity is the same…like if we both filled an 8GB card. In the interest of science, right now I’m transferring what I have on my internal memory to the external…and adding my Pink Floyd FLAC library to my external. Then I will see what the refresh time is for a full 8gb card only, no internal.

I don’t remember it off the top of my head, but I’m pretty sure someone does, it was created as an accessory for the SlotMusic player. Then you’d just have to label them somehow. As far as the refresh time…I’m curious if it would be the same for you with more smaller files as it is for me if the amount of card capacity is the same…like if we both filled an 8GB card. In the interest of science, right now I’m transferring what I have on my internal memory to the external…and adding my Pink Floyd FLAC library to my external. Then I will see what the refresh time is for a full 8gb card only, no internal.

ok, it took 2 minutes 52 seconds for it to refresh, with 1,249 files at7,563mb used, 9mb free, nothing on the internal. I suspect, that you having more files, that it may take longer than that, although for your sake, I hope I’m wrong :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@dennisqwilson wrote:

Office suppy stores like OfficeMax or Office Depot usually have them. I think I even saw one in my local Dollar Tree store the other day. :smiley:

I’ll check it out.  Thanks!

@marvin_martian wrote:

ok, it took 2 minutes 52 seconds for it to refresh, with 1,249 files at7,563mb used, 9mb free, nothing on the internal. I suspect, that you having more files, that it may take longer than that, although for your sake, I hope I’m wrong :wink:

Yeah, it takes me closer to 10 minutes, but you know what?  Even 2 minutes, 52 seconds is inexcusable.  I don’t mean to sound contentious, but it’s ridiculous that we can’t simply pop in a memory card and be ready to go.

Yeah, it takes me closer to 10 minutes, but you know what?  Even 2 minutes, 52 seconds is inexcusable.  I don’t mean to sound contentious, but it’s ridiculous that we can’t simply pop in a memory card and be ready to go.

10 minutes…wow. I can see where that would get old pretty quickly. No worries on the contentiousness…I realize your issue is not with me :smiley:

@pelago wrote:
How did you discover this trick about renaming fuzea.bin to fuzet.bin?

I was looking through the Clip forums on Anything But iPod, and I found a post about a diagnosis mode if you rename the “a” to a “t”, so I tried it on my Fuze and it worked! Every other charactrer doesn’t work (other than the normal ones)
Message Edited by gabe565 on 12-13-2008 03:50 PM

In what ways does fuzet.bin behave differently than fuzea.bin? Is it just being able to use the buttons to navigate on the Fuze?

On the newest firmware’s diagnosis mode, you can’t choose your region, you can only set language. Button scrolling it working, and in the system settings menu, there’s an item that says “Diagnosis.” I also just discovered that the diagnosis firmware doesn’t reset your settings when you upgrade like the normal version does. But that’s pretty much it

The SDHC format, though theoretically limited by hardware to a capacity of 2 TB, has been artificially limited to 32 GB by the current SDHC standard (SD 2.0).  The SDHC standard IS expected to be revised, allowing production of SDHC cards with capacities of greater than 32 GB, but these will most probably NOT be backward compatible to devices designed around current SD 2.0 standard and it’s associated FAT32 file format.

The newly announced cards with capacities of 64 GB up to 2 TB will be formated as exFAT (FAT64) are are NOT compatible with existing SDHC slots at all.  They are designed around the new SDXC format standard.  They are NOT backward compatible to the older slots, whether full-size or micro, though conversely the older SDHC cards most likely CAN be read and written to by SDXC devices.

It is not possible to transform an existing slot’s functionality from SDHC to SDXC merely via firmware upgrade alone, but requires a major hardware change including a new chipset.  Unfortunately this makes upgrading existing devices such as the Fuze impossible.

Sorry for the bad news guyz.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure\_Digital#cite\_note-19

(I did not take the time to read thru this whole thread.  Sorry if this info appeared previously.)