Rockbox?

@biggyshorty wrote:

hello all,

i am a brand new fuze buyer and very happy with it except for i’m really eager to have rockbox, and i unfortunately have only a v2 which doesnt have RB.  i’ve used RB in the past on my iAudio AND iRiver (old-school!) and love it - i really would welcome it for the v2 and judging from google/forum threads, many people are as well. is there any news on a v2 port? is the hardware that different?

Uh, there is a version for the V2 Fuze. It’s just not an official version. They mark it as unofficial/unstable, but I have yet to run into a problem with it.

I’ve been running it for weeks and it’s great. 

@donp wrote:

@paleskin wrote:
How to update the database in rockbox after adding new songs ?

Go to Settings->General Settings->Database->Update Now

or set Auto update to yes (updates when you turn the player on)

or initialize the database 

If you manually update while autoupdate is going on, you can mess things up a bit.  Fix that by reinitializing.

I like how it updates the DB behind the scenes so I can continue listening to my music. No having to wait for it refresh for 5 minutes! Awesome!

@isamuelson wrote:

@biggyshorty wrote:

hello all,

i am a brand new fuze buyer and very happy with it except for i’m really eager to have rockbox, and i unfortunately have only a v2 which doesnt have RB.  i’ve used RB in the past on my iAudio AND iRiver (old-school!) and love it - i really would welcome it for the v2 and judging from google/forum threads, many people are as well. is there any news on a v2 port? is the hardware that different?

Uh, there is a version for the V2 Fuze. It’s just not an official version. They mark it as unofficial/unstable, but I have yet to run into a problem with it.

I’ve been running it for weeks and it’s great. 

While there is now a port to the V2 Fuze, back in August 2009 when that post was written, there was no such port. 

“XL Fuzed” is my favorite theme. The New Update broke it though. It’s “off” a little now.

Switched Fonts (yes, you can change fonts in Rockbox, how hard does that rock?) to “GUI-Unifont” and it’s better.

Message Edited by Peregrine on 06-08-2010 03:50 PM

I like the “A New Light” theme and the “XL Fuzed” theme.

The sad part is, I have been designing a theme incredibly similar to the “Rockster” theme for possibly longer than a year now.

Just installed “A NEW LIGHT”. That is SWEET!

lol Back to the drawing board?

There was a skin breaking change made in the code last weekend. If you’re running a daily build newer then r26641 you can get the themes here: http://themes.rockbox.org/.

If you are running a daily build before r26641 or 3.6, then you can the themes in the older format from: http://themes.rockbox.org/oldsite/www/index.php.

Can you play video on a Rockboxed Fuze?

@changturkey wrote:

Haven’t tried a fuze, but in general (and on my e200) Rockbox plays video.  RTM! 

Er, and one last question, is there a way to get back to the original firmware without removing Rockbox?

Manual

Thanks, but it’s not working for me (booting in to the original firmware.)

What happens when you try?

@changturkey wrote:

Yes, but Rockbox and the original Sansa firmware each require different video encoding, so a video encoded for one firmware won’t play on the other, though I suspect that once you get using Rockbox you won’t often be booting the original firmware anyway.  You can easily use a program like WinFF to convert video for Rockbox (screen size is same as iRiver H100/H300 series so those WinFF presets are fine).  If you search this board and elsewhere you can find various programs and scripts and batch files for encoding video for either Sansa Firmware or for Rockbox. 

I was wondering what is the maximum micro SD card size supported by Rockbox? 

I was hoping to use a 32 gb card.

I’m using a Sansa Fuze V1 with Rockbox 3.6.

Thanks.

The stock firmware supports up to 32GB, the largest capacity in the microSDHC spec. As far as I know, Rockbox also supports up to 32GB. Any larger is part of the microSD X C spec, which very likely requires a hardware change.

Thanks.

32 GB will do for now, but since all my music is encoded at 24-bit/96 KHZ, that will just hold about 25-30 albums.

Has anyone heard if Sandisk plans on upgrading their players to support their next-generation 64 gb cards? 

@gwk1967 wrote:
The stock firmware supports up to 32GB, the largest capacity in the microSDHC spec. As far as I know, Rockbox also supports up to 32GB. Any larger is part of the microSD X C spec, which very likely requires a hardware change.

They don’t announce players ahead of time, but it seems likely they’ll make them eventually. 

Do you have to update your own theme(s) when a new version of Rockbox comes up?  My theme has disappeared, and I haven’t seen it come back.

saxmaster765 wrote:

Do you have to update your own theme(s) when a new version of Rockbox comes up?  My theme has disappeared, and I haven’t seen it come back.

If the new RB build “breaks” the theme coding, yes. But this happens very seldomly. Usually you don’t.