Rockbox?

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Trollish?  I don’t get that at all.

Trollish because it is unmotivated and uninformative. 

If there are specific strengths or weaknesses that apply to the experience of the poster sharing that would be helpfull for others.

@7o9 wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

If there are specific strengths or weaknesses that apply to the experience of the poster sharing that would be helpfull for others.

No two people see life and what surrounds them the same way…:wink:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@7o9 wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

No two people see life and what surrounds them the same way…:wink:

Especially when one of them is hort-sighted :wink:
Message Edited by g3u5 on 07-29-2009 04:32 PM

Message Edited by g3u5 on 07-29-2009 04:33 PM

@anysam wrote:

I compiled about 3 weeks ago the latest development snapshot, and I can just tell that it was really ugly, the procedure and the Rockbox firmware. It didn’t recognized my USB anymore and the user interface of rockbox is really ugly too.

I don’t know why people want to use Rockbox, maybe because most didn’t try it, and I can tell it is nothing special,

the Sandisk Firmware is much better, only the video support ■■■■■. So nobody will rescue us…

Message Edited by anysam on 07-29-2009 02:03 AM

The default RB interface is I admit, rather . . . well, boring with an extremely small font. Which is why so many have written new ‘themes’ to gussy it up. It will be a while before there are a good variety to pick from for the Fuze project as there are for the other players that Rockbox operates on. But they will come. One could take an already existing theme & modify it to fit the screen resolution of the Fuze, but be patient . . . there are some awesome themes out there that people have written and share freely.

Bear in mind that Rockbox is just starting to support the USB connection; for years it didn’t on any platform. The fact the the Fuze project is still considered a ‘beta’ release and not ‘official’ yet, begs for more patience in this aspect of the firmware too. All the bugs aren’t worked out yet. In fact, there are darn few, if any RB versions that don’t have a ‘known issue’ list to this day, and it’s (Rockbox) been around for several years.

Nothing special? Many would argue that point 'till the proverbial cows come home, but realize . . . it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. Just as the Sansa original firmware is not. It certainly has a lot more options than the Sansa firmware and really takes advantage of what the hardware can deliver.

Just as different people use their players differently and have different ‘priorities’, so too do they have preferences for firmware. It’s all about choices; use what you want and/or need. Don’t begrudge someone else the same privilege just because it’s not the same as yours.

I really shouldn’t be saying this, because I’m sure someone will manage to brick their Fuze…

…but…

The current revision of rockbox runs perfectly fine on my Fuze, and everything works as-advertised. Doom is pretty freakin’ awesome on it! There’s a thread on the RB forums dedicated to helping RB noobz (like myself) get it installed on their Fuze. Very good stuff.

Also since RB doesn’t add anything I actually need (aside from turning the wheel light off…), I’ll be sticking to the original Sansa firmware. It’s easier to navigate, somehow. And gapless playback RULES!

Message Edited by mngrif on 07-29-2009 08:00 PM

@tapeworm wrote:

. . . there are some awesome themes out there that people have written and share freely.

Mr Worm, do you have any examples? I have tried some of the themes made for the iriver H3xx/iPod Color/Photo (like -XL-, Electric Bars Of Colour and Cabbie 3.0) and was wondering if there is anything awesomer available.

My current choice is ‘Electric Bars Of Colour’ btw.

@7o9 wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

. . . there are some awesome themes out there that people have written and share freely.

Mr Worm, do you have any examples? I have tried some of the themes made for the iriver H3xx/iPod Color/Photo (like -XL-, Electric Bars Of Colour and Cabbie 3.0) and was wondering if there is anything awesomer available.

My current choice is ‘Electric Bars Of Colour’ btw.

My favourite is ‘AW140’ - lovely big album art and very little scrolling required.

The only other source of themes I have found is a ‘sticky’ on one of the misticriver subforums (the one dedicated to the H300 series players). Only problem might be that most of the themes listed there seem to require an H300-specific ‘patch’ to work. Some of them might work with the fuze, but I haven’t tried.

I’d really love to have a go at designing my own theme (my wife trained as a graphic designer, so I’d have plenty of help). The coding bit looks hard to my beginner’s eyes though…

If I do get round to trying any of the H300 themes mentioned above, I will report back to let people know which ones (if any) are fuze compatible. Does anyone know if any of them are likely to be?

I’m still enjoying a problem free rockbox experience on my fuze. The battery life is taking a real beating, but I dare say my  constant fiddling with themes, apps and games has a lot to do with that…

Cheers

Martin  

Message Edited by horace on 07-30-2009 09:44 AM

@anysam wrote:

I compiled about 3 weeks ago the latest development snapshot, and I can just tell that it was really ugly, the procedure and the Rockbox firmware. It didn’t recognized my USB anymore and the user interface of rockbox is really ugly too.

I don’t know why people want to use Rockbox, maybe because most didn’t try it, and I can tell it is nothing special,

the Sandisk Firmware is much better, only the video support ■■■■■. So nobody will rescue us…

Message Edited by anysam on 07-29-2009 02:03 AM

Personally, I’m going for:

1. More customization.

2. More apps.

3. AAC support.

I doubt you’ll be able to “tell it is nothing special” without actually playing around a bit. Of course you could say none of that matters to you but then all it means is that you have no use for Rockbox. A blanket statement that Rockbox “is nothing special” seems rather misinformed. It can do stuff that the default firmware can’t.

Message Edited by Cashew on 07-30-2009 03:45 PM

I’m still enjoying a problem free rockbox experience on my fuze. The battery life is taking a real beating, but I dare say my  constant fiddling with themes, apps and games has a lot to do with that…

Cheers

Martin  

I’m getting around 11 hours on a full charge, just listening to MP3s at a fairly low volume.  Better than I expected, considering I’m not getting a lot more than that with the official firmware (I really wish I could replace the battery…)

– Bob

I’ve just installed the beta version of Rockbox and it works surpsingly good - I’ve encountered no serious bugs so far. Except for the fact that the battery meter seems to work incorrectly. Anyway, if battery life won’t decrease in a significantly visible manner, I guess I’ll stick with Rockbox. The new interface is really good!

I’ve been using the unofficial version for a few days now and I’m absolutely amazed how good it is. Of course, there are some minor bugs,some visual glitches from time to time, but overally…

Dear Sansa designers - you really should take a closer look at this firmware and learn from it. Learn some basic ideas, not necessarily visual concepts as such. I realize it is not possible to allow so much customizability in a mainstream device, but to some extent, this really does change a lot of things. I for instance have set a theme that is totally minimalistic and is text-only. Small white font with absolutely no graphics. One might think that this would be unappealing for an avarege consumer. But I believe its the other way around. The theme is extremely elegant and looks quite spectacular in combination with Fuze’s body , which is btw very pretty IMO. The original gui looks like Microsoft Office, with ths black and white theme you get the sensation of using something much more ‘serious’, so to speak. 

(the photo does not really capture the feel of this gui, it looks much better in real life ;P)

Not to mention how EFFECTIVE it has become. Much more readable, with quicker access to most options. Besides, there is another thing which actually kind of puzzles me. The wheel mechanics with Rockbox is MUCH better. How come an unofficial alpha version-whatever firmware can handle the hardware better than its creators themselves? Acceleration has been added to the Fuze but unfortunately it has been implemented rather poorly - it was very difficult to access the items which are in the MIDDLE of the list, because it accelarated way too fast. And here - there is absolutely no such problem. I have an 8 Gb fuze with 16 Gb card - this provides space for really a lot of music - and I can reach everything instantly and with great precision. 

!(file:///Z:/fuze/P1170298.JPG)Another feature that really should be taken into account by Sansa itself - optional reloading of the database. In Rockbox, I can decide when I want to update the database. For instance, if I only place data and use the Fuze as a storage device, I don’t have to refresh everything each time I plug in the player (which sometimes happens even if I do not access any files whatsoever). Plus, the file view does refresh, the only thing I have to wait for is the mp3 database. Which , btw, takes place much quicker.

There are tons of such useful little features here. I’m not too excited about being able to play Doom on my Fuze (although it is completely playable and fun), but the changes introduced by Rockbox really make the device much better. And don’t get me wrong - I’m not writing this to bash Sansa. On the contrary. I have done some research and I see no other player of this kind that could be compared with the Fuze. It’s size, durability, memory extension capacity, ease of use, sound quality… its just top-notch, and for a really modest amount of money. Seriously, you guys did a GREAT job. However, take a look at Rockbox. I know that certain things are too advanced for an average user and I don’t blame him/her. However , there are some very interesting ideas which could inspire future changes.

Regards 

P.S. I’m not saying that everyone should try it - if you are not absolutely sure how to handle this - don’t do it (although I can’t imagine how anyone could damage the Fuze by using Rockbox). Battery life is a bit shorter , there are some bugs from time to time… It really needs a lot of work. 

Message Edited by Riven on 08-19-2009 06:34 AM

I’m been using Rockbox since the Official Test Build, and it’s been great.

Oh man, just trying to access www.rockbox.org right now and its offline…

I hope that this firmware don’t wreck my Fuze, cause its very complicated to find another one on Brazil… :neutral_face:

Yup, it’s down. Hopefully it will be up soon.

hello all,

i am a brand new fuze buyer and very happy with it except for i’m really eager to have rockbox, and i unfortunately have only a v2 which doesnt have RB.  i’ve used RB in the past on my iAudio AND iRiver (old-school!) and love it - i really would welcome it for the v2 and judging from google/forum threads, many people are as well. is there any news on a v2 port? is the hardware that different?

@yelped wrote:

Is that what’s going on?  For several days I’ve been trying to DL the latest test build and getting no connection.  Is there another place I can find it?

@odd_bob wrote:

@yelped wrote:

Is that what’s going on?  For several days I’ve been trying to DL the latest test build and getting no connection.  Is there another place I can find it?

I saw a post in another forum claiming that “the server is under attack” but I have no idea if that is true or not.

How to update the database in rockbox after adding new songs ?

@paleskin wrote:
How to update the database in rockbox after adding new songs ?

Go to Settings->General Settings->Database->Update Now

or set Auto update to yes (updates when you turn the player on)

or initialize the database 

If you manually update while autoupdate is going on, you can mess things up a bit.  Fix that by reinitializing.

@Donp, thanks, and how to delete music files ?