Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: Rockbox?

@fuze_owner-GB wrote:

Trollish?  I don't get that at all.

Trollish because it is unmotivated and uninformative. 

If there are specific strengths or weaknesses that apply to the experience of the poster sharing that would be helpfull for others.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@7o9 wrote:

@fuze_owner-GB wrote:

If there are specific strengths or weaknesses that apply to the experience of the poster sharing that would be helpfull for others.

No two people see life and what surrounds them the same way....Smiley Wink

"Before I sink into the big sleep...I want to hear the scream of the Butterfly"
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

@fuze_owner-GB wrote:

@7o9 wrote:

@fuze_owner-GB wrote:

No two people see life and what surrounds them the same way....Smiley Wink

Especially when one of them is hort-sighted Smiley Wink
Message Edited by g3u5 on 07-29-2009 04:32 PM
Message Edited by g3u5 on 07-29-2009 04:33 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@anysam wrote:

I compiled about 3 weeks ago the latest development snapshot, and I can just tell that it was really ugly, the procedure and the Rockbox firmware. It didn't recognized my USB anymore and the user interface of rockbox is really ugly too.

I don't know why people want to use Rockbox, maybe because most didn't try it, and I can tell it is nothing special,

the Sandisk Firmware is much better, only the video support sucks. So nobody will rescue us...

Message Edited by anysam on 07-29-2009 02:03 AM

The default RB interface is I admit, rather . . . well, boring with an extremely small font. Which is why so many have written new 'themes' to gussy it up. It will be a while before there are a good variety to pick from for the Fuze project as there are for the other players that Rockbox operates on. But they will come. One could take an already existing theme & modify it to fit the screen resolution of the Fuze, but be patient . . . there are some awesome themes out there that people have written and share freely.

Bear in mind that Rockbox is just starting to support the USB connection; for years it didn't on any platform. The fact the the Fuze project is still considered a 'beta' release and not 'official' yet, begs for more patience in this aspect of the firmware too. All the bugs aren't worked out yet. In fact, there are darn few, if any RB versions that don't have a 'known issue' list to this day, and it's (Rockbox) been around for several years.

Nothing special? Many would argue that point 'till the proverbial cows come home, but realize . . . it's not everyone's cup of tea. Just as the Sansa original firmware is not. It certainly has a lot more options than the Sansa firmware and really takes advantage of what the hardware can deliver.

Just as different people use their players differently and have different 'priorities', so too do they have preferences for firmware. It's all about choices; use what you want and/or need. Don't begrudge someone else the same privilege just because it's not the same as yours.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

I really shouldn't be saying this, because I'm sure someone will manage to brick their Fuze...

...but...

The current revision of rockbox runs perfectly fine on my Fuze, and everything works as-advertised. Doom is pretty freakin' awesome on it! There's a thread on the RB forums dedicated to helping RB noobz (like myself) get it installed on their Fuze. Very good stuff.

Also since RB doesn't add anything I actually need (aside from turning the wheel light off...), I'll be sticking to the original Sansa firmware. It's easier to navigate, somehow. And gapless playback RULES!

Message Edited by mngrif on 07-29-2009 08:00 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

@Tapeworm wrote:
 . . . there are some awesome themes out there that people have written and share freely.

Mr Worm, do you have any examples? I have tried some of the themes made for the iriver H3xx/iPod Color/Photo (like -XL-, Electric Bars Of Colour and Cabbie 3.0) and was wondering if there is anything awesomer available.

My current choice is 'Electric Bars Of Colour' btw.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

@7o9 wrote:

@Tapeworm wrote:
 . . . there are some awesome themes out there that people have written and share freely.

Mr Worm, do you have any examples? I have tried some of the themes made for the iriver H3xx/iPod Color/Photo (like -XL-, Electric Bars Of Colour and Cabbie 3.0) and was wondering if there is anything awesomer available.

My current choice is 'Electric Bars Of Colour' btw.

My favourite is 'AW140' - lovely big album art and very little scrolling required.

The only other source of themes I have found is a 'sticky' on one of the misticriver subforums (the one dedicated to the H300 series players). Only problem might be that most of the themes listed there seem to require an H300-specific 'patch' to work. Some of them might work with the fuze, but I haven't tried.

I'd really love to have a go at designing my own theme (my wife trained as a graphic designer, so I'd have plenty of help). The coding bit looks hard to my beginner's eyes though.....

If I do get round to trying any of the H300 themes mentioned above, I will report back to let people know which ones (if any) are fuze compatible. Does anyone know if any of them are likely to be?

I'm still enjoying a problem free rockbox experience on my fuze. The battery life is taking a real beating, but I dare say my  constant fiddling with themes, apps and games has a lot to do with that....

Cheers

Martin  

Message Edited by horace on 07-30-2009 09:44 AM
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

@anysam wrote:

I compiled about 3 weeks ago the latest development snapshot, and I can just tell that it was really ugly, the procedure and the Rockbox firmware. It didn't recognized my USB anymore and the user interface of rockbox is really ugly too.

I don't know why people want to use Rockbox, maybe because most didn't try it, and I can tell it is nothing special,

the Sandisk Firmware is much better, only the video support sucks. So nobody will rescue us...

Message Edited by anysam on 07-29-2009 02:03 AM

Personally, I'm going for:
 1. More customization.
 2. More apps.
 3. AAC support.
I doubt you'll be able to "tell it is nothing special" without actually playing around a bit. Of course you could say none of that matters to you but then all it means is that you have no use for Rockbox. A blanket statement that Rockbox "is nothing special" seems rather misinformed. It can do stuff that the default firmware can't.

Message Edited by Cashew on 07-30-2009 03:45 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk User

I'm still enjoying a problem free rockbox experience on my fuze. The battery life is taking a real beating, but I dare say my  constant fiddling with themes, apps and games has a lot to do with that....

Cheers

Martin  

I'm getting around 11 hours on a full charge, just listening to MP3s at a fairly low volume.  Better than I expected, considering I'm not getting a lot more than that with the official firmware (I really wish I could replace the battery...)

-- Bob

Highlighted
SanDisk User

I've just installed the beta version of Rockbox and it works surpsingly good - I've encountered no serious bugs so far. Except for the fact that the battery meter seems to work incorrectly. Anyway, if battery life won't decrease in a significantly visible manner, I guess I'll stick with Rockbox. The new interface is really good!