Rockbox?

@anysam wrote:

I compiled about 3 weeks ago the latest development snapshot, and I can just tell that it was really ugly, the procedure and the Rockbox firmware. It didn’t recognized my USB anymore and the user interface of rockbox is really ugly too.

I don’t know why people want to use Rockbox, maybe because most didn’t try it, and I can tell it is nothing special,

the Sandisk Firmware is much better, only the video support ■■■■■. So nobody will rescue us…

Message Edited by anysam on 07-29-2009 02:03 AM

The default RB interface is I admit, rather . . . well, boring with an extremely small font. Which is why so many have written new ‘themes’ to gussy it up. It will be a while before there are a good variety to pick from for the Fuze project as there are for the other players that Rockbox operates on. But they will come. One could take an already existing theme & modify it to fit the screen resolution of the Fuze, but be patient . . . there are some awesome themes out there that people have written and share freely.

Bear in mind that Rockbox is just starting to support the USB connection; for years it didn’t on any platform. The fact the the Fuze project is still considered a ‘beta’ release and not ‘official’ yet, begs for more patience in this aspect of the firmware too. All the bugs aren’t worked out yet. In fact, there are darn few, if any RB versions that don’t have a ‘known issue’ list to this day, and it’s (Rockbox) been around for several years.

Nothing special? Many would argue that point 'till the proverbial cows come home, but realize . . . it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. Just as the Sansa original firmware is not. It certainly has a lot more options than the Sansa firmware and really takes advantage of what the hardware can deliver.

Just as different people use their players differently and have different ‘priorities’, so too do they have preferences for firmware. It’s all about choices; use what you want and/or need. Don’t begrudge someone else the same privilege just because it’s not the same as yours.