Rockbox?

@donp wrote:

Tapeworm wrote: In the ‘It’s no skin off our nose’ department, you’ve been warned, advised and cautioned by several here. 

again  and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again…

How many more times before you think it’s sufficient?  As explained earlier, the expected value of the risk is somewhere under a dollar, less than the chance of ruining  your player by cracking the screen.   Hard to pin down precisely, since no one on or quoted in this forum has said they’ve actually seen a fuze wrecked by rockbox. 

I haven’t seen nearly as many warnings against setting one’s Fuze down near the edge of a table, or using it without a hardshell case.

Probably when people stop saying, “Oooh, shiny, how do I do that?”

The above indicates to me that they do not have the technical savvy to do it themselves, don’t really understand the risk, and will come crying here, or, worse yet, send their (potentially) bricked unit back to SanDisk wanting a replacement.

And again, if you understand the risk, can contribute to the development, and are able to find the source, compile it yourself, load it on your player, and correct your errors, then by all means, go for it.

Doing it just for the cool factor is, IMO, stupid and shortsighted.  Contributing to the development is intelligent and forward-looking, and the folks who are capable won’t be asking here how to put Rockbox on their player.

Comparing it to dropping your player off a table or scratching it is apples and oranges.