Rockbox?

I acually read this in a previous post about 30 minutes ago…

DO NOT put your email on the web. You’ll probably get some guy with no life sending you ■■■■ every few munutes for 30 years (overexaggeration, but you get the point).

@saxmaster765 wrote:

I acually read this in a previous post about 30 minutes ago…

DO NOT put your email on the web. You’ll probably get some guy with no life sending you ■■■■ every few munutes for 30 years (overexaggeration, but you get the point).

It’s worse than that, actually. There are “bots” (automated programs) that search for email addresses on websites, then add those addresses to mailing lists. Those lists get traded by spammers, so posting your address just once can lead to a mountain of spam.

I’d advise taking the email off so that doesn’t happen, if it already hasn’t.

@atz wrote:

Honestly, you people are foolish imo. 

I’m foolish?  I haven’t seen you commit any patches for the Fuze port.  Maybe you shouldn’t critisize people until you’ve done some real work yourself.

@atz wrote:

Those are my standards because I don’t require for my MP3 player to be super fast or perfect and using the instructions I spread, I haven’t heard of a single bricked player so it’s BS.

As I said we took care to make it difficult to brick the AMS players after the surprising skill users showed at bricking the e200v1 players.  That doesn’t mean you should be encouraging people to use software thats not ready.  It was literally impossible to brick an e200v1 by installing rockbox (they could always be repaired using software tools we provided no matter what the user did).  Users still asked sandisk for replacements because they were too confused or uninformed to fix their mistakes, and sandisk lost money because of us.  We don’t have a proper installer, uninstaller, battery life is very poor, and its kind of crashy.  These problems will hopefully be sorted out shortly, until then its not ready and encouraging people to use the software is a bad idea thats only going to make things worse for the community.  If you weren’t clueless enough to have problems, great, but don’t assume everyone else is.  You’d be amazed how many problems users can have.

As a matter of fact, I do agree with you on one thing. Ill-experienced people could have so many problems that we don’t even think about. I do have computer knowledge, now a vast one but I would say a bit more than a basic one, and for those who don’t have this, these superbly simple instructions might prove hard. I guess I shouldn’t really be spreading these instructions, I’ll sleep on it and will decide in the morning. I didn’t want anyone to cause problems or doubts! All I wanted was for people who have been waiting for 6 months to get a little taste of what’s coming, and nothing else.

Do you have accurate battery life lenght after applying this “experimental” Rockbox?

It’s long enough for me as I use it only for school, and then for going outside, I come home every night and charge it. I would say that’s about 6-10 hours of full-on playback but it’s not accurate, it’s just an estimate

Message Edited by ATZ on 04-26-2009 05:28 PM

@atz wrote:

As a matter of fact, I do agree with you on one thing. Ill-experienced people could have so many problems that we don’t even think about. I do have computer knowledge, now a vast one but I would say a bit more than a basic one, and for those who don’t have this, these superbly simple instructions might prove hard. I guess I shouldn’t really be spreading these instructions, I’ll sleep on it and will decide in the morning. I didn’t want anyone to cause problems or doubts! All I wanted was for people who have been waiting for 6 months to get a little taste of what’s coming, and nothing else.

Do you have accurate battery life lenght after applying this “experimental” Rockbox?

It’s long enough for me as I use it only for school, and then for going outside, I come home every night and charge it. I would say that’s about 6-10 hours of full-on playback but it’s not accurate, it’s just an estimate

Message Edited by ATZ on 04-26-2009 05:28 PM

just curious ATZ…

you have “superbly simple instructions” to install Rockbox on the Fuze. Do you have superbly simple instructions to uninstall it and revert back to the official firmware?. :wink:

Pretty much, as far as I know, all you gotta do is replace one of the files with an original one and that’s you sorted.

@atz wrote:

Honestly, you people are foolish imo. … USB (which actually does work, but you have to turn off your Fuze every time you want to connect it), if that’s too much hassle for some, that’s your problem, …

USB does not work in Rockbox, because there is no USB driver for the AMS chipset in Rockbox. See here for why:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SansaAMS

The  Rockbox bootloader boots into the original firmware if you switch on with USB connected. That is not USB working in Rockbox.

The same page also has information of interest to those who might be tempted to load Rockbox, including how to do it, what you can expect to work, what side effects you might get (eg permanently disabled DRM), and whether you can unbrick you player if you happen to run into problems. 

@BTW, @atz, I don’t understand why you feel the need to prefix your post with personal insults.

@daytona955 wrote:

(on e200v2)

It runs, and it’s just about usable. It’s really slow, the battery life is poor, and USB doesn’t work. And it’s probably got some serious bugs (just because it is so immature).

Message Edited by daytona955 on 04-24-2009 03:26 PM

Citing no USB support as a hazard of this development version is pretty misleading.  E200V1 has been on the “supported” list for a long time and the latest release does not support USB (music loading is done in the Sansa firmware).

@donp wrote:

@daytona955 wrote:

(on e200v2)

It runs, and it’s just about usable. It’s really slow, the battery life is poor, and USB doesn’t work. And it’s probably got some serious bugs (just because it is so immature).

Citing no USB support as a hazard of this development version is pretty misleading.  E200V1 has been on the “supported” list for a long time and the latest release does not support USB (music loading is done in the Sansa firmware).

‘Hazard’ is your word, not mine.

It is a characteristic of the current state of the development, as are the other items in the sentence you quote.

I never said that USB works on Rockbox, I said it works if you turn your Player off and it boots into the original firmware. I don’t see how this is a major problem, it’s simple and easy enough just to turn it off.

A WORD OF CAUTION

Rockbox is NOT ready for the Fuze, period.  We have seen here from one of its active developers a warning not to install it on your player, including the reasons not to do so.

A recovery method has been described solely for the e200v2 series devices, and this method involves opening the device for PCB access.  Should the installation corrupt the Fuze, it’s dead in the water, and in any case, no longer covered under the terms of the warranty.

It’s irresponsible to proclaim that the installation is simple to load onto your player, or argue with users here do do so without the inherent risks.  Should your player freeze, it might not be recoverable. 

In their enthusiasm to try new things, new users may try this early version with disastrous results.  SanDisk cannot, logically, be expected to “pick up the pieces” following damage caused by unofficial code installed on these devices.

In the interest of preserving the possibility of Rockbox for these devices, for those who wish it, unless you are actively involved in development, I must recommend that patience is of the utmost importance.

Thank you,

_ µsansa _

The Sansa Mod Team

@microsansa wrote:

It’s irresponsible to proclaim that the installation is simple to load onto your player, or argue with users here do do so without the inherent risks.  Should your player freeze, it might not be recoverable. 

FWIW, it has been cited as a possibility, but no one, including that developer, has said they’ve seen it happen (just to keep it relevant, if you have a counter-example to cite, tell us if it’s a near current version.)

I agree the risk is on the user (as it says everywhere on the rockbox site) but if the realistic chance of wrecking your Fuze is, say, 1%, then the expected value of the damage is under a dollar (depending on what size memory.)  Even if that guess is low by a factor of 10, the value of the risk is a lot less than the value of time you will spend figuring out and performing the install.  

From browsing the developer forum, it looks like the developers are wrecking way more of their fuzes by physical damage (as in drops or bumping into a stair rail while it’s in your pocket) than any damage as a result of their hacking. 

Just trying to bring a little statistical reality to the conversation.

I expect the end result of these rockbox-on-Fuze topics will be some people (is “script kiddies” still the term?) will want to jump on it without due consideration. Maybe a few who are capable of actually contributing to the effort will get their first exposure to rockbox reading about it here.  And that’s a good thing.

Then I shall not send out any more instructions while I will keep updating my progress and how I’m doing with my Rockbox. I agree that Sandisk shouldn’t be responsible for those who have loaded Rockbox and wrecked their players but it’s their own choice as it was mine and if they want to do it - let them (while letting them not that guarantee is voided).

i dont mind

I dont care if my warranty gets voided or anything i just like rockbox, i had it on my ipod before the battery stopped working and it was great.

Thanks saxmaster765.

Hi I wanted to ask you where to get the Rockbox for sandisk sansa fuze. Please give me a link, and maybe some info on it.

Thank you.

Ever hear of Google?

www.rockbox.org

Ever hear of Google?

www.rockbox.org

But if you’ve read this thread, or the other one on this subject, you’ll know Rockbox is not yet ready for the Fuze and it is  NOT recommended that you install it.