Rockbox & V2's

@harvey wrote:
I have a silly question:  I am exclusively interested in installing Rockbox’s bookmark feature on my Sansa V2. Is it possible to do this without going through the (to me) complicated and, apparently, risky, procedure of installing the full Rockbox package?  Thanks a lot.

The answer is no.

That would be like installing the tabs feature of firefox in WMP. You can’t split and mix programs… unless they’re designed to do so, which is not the same.

Rockbox is a replacement firmware for your fuze, which means that the original firmware itself is left untouched (although the DRM playback capability may be lost).

But of course, you could install rockbox and then remove all its plugins, apps, codecs, languages and so on, leaving only the bookmark plugin… which would be pretty useless. And more complicated.

Rockbox is great! The latest version is awesome and gapless playback is wonderful. I didn’t believe it would work very well but have been impressed with the work the coders have done.

how can i install rockbox after upgrade to 02.03.33?

the same way?

I cannot get Rockbox to install after updating to 2.03.33, nor can I revert back to any other firmware all I get is “Refreshing your media”.

The only firmware that will perform a firmware install is the 2.03.33 firmware, even a patched version of this won’t install.

That’s weird. Today i’ve installed, reinstalled, upgraded and downgraded with patched and non-patched versions the firmware without problems. Are you putting the files with the correct filenames in the correct place?

@blcistheking wrote:
how can i install rockbox after upgrade to 02.03.33?

You need to build (or somehow obtain) a patched version of the Sansa firmware.  The patched version includes the Rockbox bootloader which allows you to dual boot Sansa and Rockbox. You can find some basic instructions at SansaAMS < Main < Wiki

Last time I tested the standard mkamsboot available from the download link on the Sansa AMS page only worked with older firmwares <= 2.2.26. To make a firmware file using the new 2.3.32 you will need to either find an updated version made by someone else or build your own.

Other than that the steps and files described on the Sansa AMS page should work fine. I have a new build of mkamsboot for linux 32-bit that I am using fine but I don’t have a place to upload it so others can get it.

Just to clarify, here is a simple step by step:

(you can skip steps 1 and 2 if you got the resulting files from elsewhere)

1 - Get the 4 needed files,

- fuzpa.bin from the original firmware (2.2.26 if you use the std mkamsboot tool)

- the rockbox build zip usually named rockbox-sansav2.zip

- the bootloader file usually called bootloader-fuzev2.sansa

- the mkamsboot utility compiled for your pc system and version of original firmware

2 - Build the replacement Rockbox dual boot firmware file using a command like,

mkamsboot fuzpa.bin bootloader-fuzev2.sansa rockbox.bin

3 - Connect your Fuze (make sure MSC mode).

4 - Copy two things to your Fuze root directory,

- rockbox.bin but renamed as fuzpa.bin

- unzipped contents of rockbox-sansav2.zip (should make /.rockbox directory)

5 - Unplug the Fuze and it should show a message that it is updating firmware and then shutdown.

6 -  Turn on your Fuze. It should boot into Rockbox (you can hold down “<<” to boot original firmware).

Now you can customize your Rockbox if you like by adding theme packs from the rockbox web site. As a nice starting point I would suggest Cabbie2 or Cabbie2 Enhanced as these look quite nice. To do this you download the theme zip file and unzip into your fuze /.rockbox directory. This will add the needed theme files and then you can select the theme using the Rockbox menu under the Settings item.

If this seems like more than you can handle (it’s not really) then you should wait for Fuze v2 to get integrated into the RB Utility that will handle automated installation. Given the recent pace of development I don’t think that is too far off.

Edit: Here is a link to an updated windows version of mkamsboot posted by user (jfinnie) on the rockbox forums. I have not tried it as I am on Linux. Probably fine but use at your own risk. Well, that goes with any of this stuff anyway.

Message Edited by csavery on 05-27-2010 01:52 PM

Yes, I have even compiled my own version from the svn.

Renamed the patched firmware to fuzpa.bin and placed on the root of the internal memory using MSC mode along with the .rockbox folder.

No matter which patched version I throw at it I only get “Refreshing your media”.

The only time I can get a firmware install is using the official unpatched 2.03.31 and 2.03.33 firmwares.

Weird, then something’s wrong with your fuze: it should at least try to upgrade and refuse it if the fuzp.bin file was bad. Look for help at #rockbox on freenode.

I have the same problem here, It only patches 03.31 and 03.33. On my v2 fuze. So weird and now i cant install rockbox:(

Got myself another Fuze today and worked first time. Something must be faulty with the other one.

@djpathic:

Have the same problem. You noticed any difference between the returned and the new unit? Which firmware had the new unit installed? And which version have you flashed on it then?

BR Robert

Hi Rob

Unfortunately I didnt check which firmware was originally installed on the player when I received the new unit but I used a patched version of 02.03.33 to install Rockbox on the new player.

With the original player when I first got it I updated the original firmware to 02.03.33 with Sansa Firmware Updater and I could only revert back to 02.03.33 or re-install 02.03.33.

Unfortunately for me, I can’t return the other unit as I bought it from ebay so I will be putting it back on there.

djphatic wrote:

Hi Rob

Unfortunately I didnt check which firmware was originally installed on the player when I received the new unit but I used a patched version of 02.03.33 to install Rockbox on the new player.

With the original player when I first got it I updated the original firmware to 02.03.33 with Sansa Firmware Updater and I could only revert back to 02.03.33 or re-install 02.03.33.

You cannot use the Updater to revert back, or install an older version of firmware. It’s job is to update, not backdate. You also cannot re-install the same version with it. For the times when a re-installation or an older version is required or desired, you must use the manual method for firmware installation.

Yeah, but my player refuses to flash everything other but the 02.03.31 and 02.03.33.

I can flash between those on both directions but no chance for a RB-Ptached-FW or a older FW.

Goes not from .31 as start nor from .33 as start. :frowning:

BR Rob

Same here for me, you can manually downgrade and upgrade between 03.31 and 03.33 but not manually downgrade to 02.26 so weird.

I know, I never tried to use the Updater to revert back to any firmware or install any other firmware after it had updated the player to 02.03.33. I always tried the manual method but like the other users it would only detect 02.03.31 and 02.03.33.

Something must have changed in the recent firmware.

djphatic wrote:

I know, I never tried to use the Updater to revert back to any firmware or install any other firmware after it had updated the player to 02.03.33. I always tried the manual method but like the other users it would only detect 02.03.31 and 02.03.33.

Something must have changed in the recent firmware.

It’s a sinister, diabolical plot by SanDisk to prevent people from reverting back to a firmware that doesn’t incorprate the SlotRadio icon in the main menu.

Ssshhh . . . little to they know that somone has discovered a way around that! :wink:

F1 ?

Is this a guess or you know its cause the radio slot?

BR Robert

Message Edited by Rob2222 on 05-29-2010 02:06 AM