Rockbox & V2's

“and any powered USB connection made forces a reboot to the Sansa firmware.”

Unless you hold SELECT down. This allows you to stay in the RB FW and charge the device.

mnong wrote:

@summerlove wrote:

There was one for an older player (e200 I think), although I don’t think it was “official”.  I don’t really see the point tbh, I spend as little time in the OF as possible.  Tapeworm doesn’t use rockbox, that’s probably why there is confusion.

Eh? But Tapeworm posted that in the Fuze forum. That’s why it is potentially misleading.

Well, my wife loves the radio and the videos (accessible thru the OF but not thru RB), and hates depressing the << to boot to OF. This is one need for the reverse bootloader, which, from the comments I have received, is non-existent.

I was indeed referring to the e200v1 series player when I mentioned the reverse boot-loader. And yes, I do use RB on my player of that vintage. I even created/wrote my own theme.

I don’t have a Fuze at the current time (as it’s on semi-permanent loan-out), but saratoga would be in a position to know whether or not this BL was available or advisable on the Fuze port. You could also review and search the Rockbox site itself for more info on it. Remember the e200v1 port has been out for several years; the Fuze (and all the AMS or v2 variants) have just successfully been ported fairly recently. This feature/function/option may come in time, or it may not as demand or hardware restrictions may discourage it.

When just venturing into Rockbox some time ago, I too thought this would be a handy feature, but have to say in actual usage, it’s not a big deal to hold the REW |<< button during start-up to boot into the OF.

Sorry for the confusion; one tends to lose track of where one is when jumping around all the different boards around here, and general information sometimes gets posted without conscious thought to individual idiosyncrasies of all the different players.

mnong wrote:

@summerlove wrote:
There was one for an older player (e200 I think), although I don't think it was "official".  I don't really see the point tbh, I spend as little time in the OF as possible.  Tapeworm doesn't use rockbox, that's probably why there is confusion.

Eh? But Tapeworm posted that in the Fuze forum. That's why it is potentially misleading.

Well, my wife loves the radio and the videos (accessible thru the OF but not thru RB), and hates depressing the << to boot to OF. This is one need for the reverse bootloader, which, from the comments I have received, is non-existent.

I was indeed referring to the e200v1 series player when I mentioned the reverse boot-loader. And yes, I do use RB on my player of that vintage. I even created/wrote my own theme for it.

I don't have a Fuze at the current time (as it's on semi-permanent loan-out), but saratoga would be in a position to know whether or not this BL was available or advisable on the Fuze port. You could also review and search the Rockbox site itself for more info on it. Remember the e200v1 port has been out for several years; the Fuze (and all the AMS or v2 variants) have just successfully been ported fairly recently. This feature/function/option may come in time, or it may not as demand or hardware restrictions may discourage it.

When just venturing into Rockbox some time ago, I too thought this would be a handy feature, but have to say in actual usage, it's not a big deal to hold the REW |<< button during start-up to boot into the OF.

Sorry for the confusion; one tends to lose track of where one is when jumping around all the different boards around here, and general information sometimes gets posted without conscious thought to individual idiosyncrasies of all the different players.

Just to be clear theres no reason you can’t make a reverse bootloader safely.  Its just harder since:

1.  The dual boot choice is actually made before the bootloader in the mkamsboot program, which is written in ARM assembly 

2.  Theres no way to recover from flashing a broken binary with mkamsboot

3.  Theres no easy way to test the binary before flashing it

So basically you have to be at least a little familiar with ARM assembly and be willing to break your player to write one.  Thats not most people who use the Sandisk firmware :slight_smile:

OK Tapeworm, saratoga, thanks for the clarifications. I’m not a dev guy, BTW, but the tech details help to reinforce what you guys have said–its not advisable to go for a Reverse Bootloader at the moment.

My Fuze FM radio is not working in OF. I was hoping to see a Radio menu item in Rockbox just to verify whether it works and if it does, then it could only be some problem in the OF.

This might sound a little dumb, but how do I get to the FM radio in RB? I have the latest build of RB installed.

@mnong wrote:

OK Tapeworm, saratoga, thanks for the clarifications. I’m not a dev guy, BTW, but the tech details help to reinforce what you guys have said–its not advisable to go for a Reverse Bootloader at the moment.

My Fuze FM radio is not working in OF. I was hoping to see a Radio menu item in Rockbox just to verify whether it works and if it does, then it could only be some problem in the OF.

This might sound a little dumb, but how do I get to the FM radio in RB? I have the latest build of RB installed.

The status chart next to the install directions says “FM-Radio:  No” for the Fuze V2, so I think you have to wait for someone to add support for it.

@saratoga wrote:

The status chart next to the install directions says “FM-Radio:  No” for the Fuze V2, so I think you have to wait for someone to add support for it.

Sorry, I have Fuze V1. No radio for this too? Can you give me the URL for the status chart for V1 (Again sorry for another dumb question)

FM radio works on my Fuze. It’s on the Rockbox main menu, just under Recording.

@gwk1967 wrote:
FM radio works on my Fuze. It’s on the Rockbox main menu, just under Recording.

My fears were not unfounded, after all, I see no FM Radio under Recordings. Does it have to do with FM Radio going bust in my original Sansa firmware? Is there any connection with that?

Its possible the chip is just broken.  You could also try older versions of Rockbox (3.5 is the oldest build for the Fuzev1 you’re going to find without compiling your own) and see if any of them ever detected the radio.

@saratoga wrote:
Its possible the chip is just broken.  You could also try older versions of Rockbox (3.5 is the oldest build for the Fuzev1 you’re going to find without compiling your own) and see if any of them ever detected the radio.

If its the chip, can it be repaired? Go back to old RB version? Nah! I’m not ready for that. Is there any other way out?

If you’re not interested in debugging the problem, a new Fuze doesn’t cost that much.

Your radio is busted. If it does not work in the OF it will not magically work in RB either.

@peregrine wrote:

Your radio is busted. If it does not work in the OF it will not magically work in RB either.

Well, I’m willing to forget about the radio. But some more woes I’m not willing to forgo :

1. Using RB, I cannot see my videos anymore :angry:

2. I cannot see some of my pictures, although others show up

3. Looks like slotRadio doesn’t work in RB. Don’t know about slotMusic, though, as I don’t have a slotMusic card at present.

Then go back to the Sansa Firmware. :wink:

1. Is there a pattern? Like what type of videos don’t show? Ones that were converted using the Sansa media converter or others that you just dragged and dropped. I don’t use video at all on this tiny ass player so I can’t really help there.

2. Again is there a pattern here? The pics that don’t show up are they JPG? TIF? GIF?

3. This I can answer for sure. Slotradio\Slotmusic is a proprietary Sansa product. The RB developers will not and probably can not implement that, nor IMO, should they. This is why being able to revert to the Sansa firmware is such a great option.

Message Edited by Peregrine on 04-09-2010 03:23 PM

@peregrine wrote:

Then go back to the Sansa Firmware. :wink:

1. Is there a pattern? Like what type of videos don’t show? Ones that were converted using the Sansa media converter or others that you just dragged and dropped. I don’t use video at all on this tiny ass player so I can’t really help there.

Videos were converted with vidzForFuze & showed up in OF. In RB, video folder properties indicate 29 files in the folder, but none show up. I changed settings to show all files. Now I can see all .avi files, but trying to open them does nothing.

Again is there a pattern here? The pics that don’t show up are they JPG? TIF? GIF?

They were .bmp files

This I can answer for sure. Slotradio\Slotmusic is a proprietary Sansa product. The RB developers will not and probably can not implement that, nor IMO, should they. This is why being able to revert to the Sansa firmware is such a great option.

Yes. Its something to do with the DRM stuff they wrote about in the manual.

Sorry for the crappy formatting, my mobile was the cause, but I guess you got it.

I’m trying to install rockbox in my v2 fuze it I don0t seem to be able to get it…

I’ve followed the instructions in the sansaams page. I’ve compiled the bootloader and patched the original firmware, i’ve copied the .rockbox folder in the fuze, and i’ve flashed the patched firmware to the fuze, but then, only the OF shows up.

What am I missing? 

EDIT: i’ve tryied with firmware *17 and *26 to no avail. After firmware upgrade is complete, it boot directly into “Refreshing database”, and on next reboot it will ask me language and region.

Message Edited by ssorgatem on 04-11-2010 12:36 PM

@ssorgatem wrote:

EDIT: i’ve tryied with firmware *17 and *26 to no avail. After firmware upgrade is complete, it boot directly into “Refreshing database”, and on next reboot it will ask me language and region.

Are you sure you copied the right firmware file?  After you run mkamsboot you’ll have two firmware files, one patched, one original.  It sounds like you copied the original.  But I’m just guessing . . .

RB  don’t play avi!

it play mpeg, mpg, mpeg2, and other stuff! just read the manual