Resuming at same point

I use my Fuse for listening to the radio, audio books and classical music. The only query I have is that when listening to an audio book, I can restart where I left off but in the case of my large music collection, it will revert to the first symphony downloaded. Is there any way that i can coax it to resume at the point where I stopped listening.

many thanks

Vinaigre 

If you hit pause and then turn the Fuze off, it will resume from that point when you turn it back on.

It is annoying that such basic functionality as bookmarking is not implemented for music on Fuze…

Should have bought something else then. :wink:

@peregrine wrote:

Should have bought something else then. :wink:

The benefits outweigh the shortcomings

I put the classical music on my players in the audiobooks folder, as I don’t listen to audiobooks, and don’t want movements of symphonies and concertos to be listed in song lists with my rock music, and don’t want the classical movements to be mixed in with my rock music when I use the shuffle mode. Having classical music in the audiobooks folder will also give you autobookmarking for it.

@jk98 wrote:
Having classical music in the audiobooks folder will also give you autobookmarking for it.

Really? So, if I put all the music into Audiobooks folder, I’ll be able to bookmark? 

"Really? So, if I put all the music into Audiobooks folder, I’ll be able to bookmark? "

Yes, except that you won’t have all the features that are available for music, just the features that are available for audiobooks. No shuffle mode, no repeat mode, no song list, just a list of the albums to choose to play. I like using it just for classical music for that reason. I never want to shuffle the movements of different symphonies and concertos.

Many thanks for all your kind assistance.

Vinaigre

Yes, except that you won’t have all the features that are available for music, just the features that are available for audiobooks. No shuffle mode, no repeat mode, no song list, just a list of the albums to choose to play.

Thanks!

Makes me wonder, how hard could it have been to implement bookmarking for music too? Seems like a trivial thing to do, no more that a couple of hours of coding+testing - it is not rocket science like gapless playback. Is it because nobody cares? 

Most people have no desire to bookmark places within songs. I wonder where the autobookmark for the podcasts and audiobooks are kept. If it is in some sort of table that gets into ram when the player is booted, then having it for all songs might decrease the maximum number of songs the player can recognize.

Well, I mean the following functionality: listen to an album -> stop for whatever reason -> in order to be able to come back later to the same place, bookmark the location. It doesn’t have to be automatic , in fact, it is better to be a per user request thing. It can be limited to, say, 10 bookmarks (quite enough), so that there is no real memory overhead.

I think you are one of the very few people who would want to bookmark music files. Most people see the value in bookmarking a podcast or audiobook, but not in bookmarking music. I guess players that have explicit bookmarks will probably let you bookmark any files on the player.

If you pause the Fuze before turning it off, it will resume in the place you left off when you turn it back on.

On reflection I have another question for all you experts. Having an 8 gb card, is there anyway, I can resume listening to my music on it?

Again my thanks

Vinaigre

@jk98 wrote:

I think you are one of the very few people who would want to bookmark music files.

Well, I listen to music on the way to work and from work. Suppose I arrive before the album (call it album A) has finished. I stop. Next day I am not in mood to listen to album A but rather to listen to album B. However, in a few days when I am in mood to resume listening to album A, I’d like to start from where I stopped last time. This is not such an outlandish scenario isn’t it? Happens to me all the time.

P.S. Fuze will also forget where you stopped if you add files to it - so, even the current limited functionality is not working very well.

If I listen to part of an album one day, I don’t mind starting it from the begining when I am in the mood for it again. It isn’t like a podcast, which if I listened to part of it, I wouldn’t want to start from the begining again. I guess preferences vary, so having a player that is very customizable is a good thing. 

Knowing that you can put music files in the Audiobooks folder is very helpful. It would be nice if the documentation covered the differences in functionality assigned to each of the different folders. Unfortunately I don’t think Rhapsody will let you decide where to put music on the device, so this workaround doesn’t work on subscription tracks, unless you can manually move them within the player after being uploaded by the Rhapsody client. I’ll have to play with this a while but like the idea of putting my classical tracks there for the reasons stated up thread.

“It would be nice if the documentation covered the differences in functionality assigned to each of the different folders.”

Press the button at 6 oclock while a song is playing, and you can see the functions available. When music is in the audiobooks folder, you can only basically choose to play it by album, unless you get creative in your use of subfolders, then play the music in the audiobooks folder through music>folders.