Replay Gain bug

Hi! Thanks for your great work on the new firmware! I found a bug:

Mp3 files with positive RG value are not handled correctly, eg. Track Info shows -49.57 dB when it’s actually +0.43 dB, making the file nearly silent (I use foobar2000). I noticed, however, changing the value from +0.43 dB to 0.43 dB using Mp3Tag will work.

FLAC works just fine though.

Can anyone confirm? (I’m using a v1)

Yes. I’ve already noticed that as posted here .

I did a bit more tests and apparently mp3 files with ReplayGain values between 0.01 dB and +9.99 dB will be recognized with values of -50+realvalue, which will be played at minimum volume.

I tried tagging those with mp3Tag (both in id3v2.3 and id3v2.4) and the problem remained (didn’t try to remove the ‘+’ sign).

But if you tag those files (already with ReplayGain Info) in MediaMonkey, the correct values appear.

I just installed MediaMonkey to test, because on the ReplayGain Sticky Thread they say it was tested to work with MediMonkey. I’m still figuring out how to workaround this, without having to use mediamonkey.

Message Edited by eardrum on 04-11-2009 11:48 PM

Thanks. If you want a workaround, try removing the ‘+’ with Mp3tag, like i said, it works.

I confirmed the track/disc number problem too, can’t believe no one else noticed it.

With all the mp3/id3 tag hassles, now I’m (gradually) switching to Ogg for lossy format. Not supported by iTunes/iPod? Who cares! :smiley:

I’ve noticed this as well, but never thought it could be the “+” that Foobar added!

I’d narrowed it down to tracks ripped from older CDs - those that haven’t been compressed and limited to within an inch of their lives - hence the positive replay gain tags.

I’ll redo the replay gain with Media Monkey to see if that works, if not I’ll remove the “+” with mp3tag.

Thanks for the workaround.

Message Edited by Nobby on 04-12-2009 09:00 AM

Message Edited by Nobby on 04-12-2009 09:01 AM

@justme wrote:

If you want a workaround, try removing the ‘+’ with Mp3tag, like i said, it works.

Thanks, I’ll do that. I’ll create an “Action” in Mp3Tag to massfix all mp3 files. foobar2000 still reads the correct values after removing the ‘+’, so it will also play normally.

@justme wrote:

With all the mp3/id3 tag hassles, now I’m (gradually) switching to Ogg for lossy format. Not supported by iTunes/iPod? Who cares! :smiley:

Not me, that’s for sure.:D  I’m also changing to ogg for lossy format. I guess this ‘+’ bug fix in mp3’s will be a RunOnce thing, then.

It’s a trivial bug. I’ll be surprised if it’s not fixed in the next release. You know, it’s Sandisk :wink:

Just to confirm the easy workaround for the “+” replaygain problem as described above is to download Media Monkey, sort the files into replaygain order (it’s one of the columns) then reapply replaygain to the “+” tracks using Media Monkey.

Job’s a good 'un!

@nobby wrote:

Just to confirm the easy workaround for the “+” replaygain problem as described above is to download Media Monkey, sort the files into replaygain order (it’s one of the columns) then reapply replaygain to the “+” tracks using Media Monkey.

Job’s a good 'un!

You can also do that, but that’s not the workaround.

For us with all mp3 already with ReplayGain Info calculated in foobar2000, the workaround is:

-Install Mp3Tag

-Add ALL your mp3 files

-Select All and go to Convert->Actions

-Create an action group with two “Format Value” Actions (on for Track Gain and one for Album Gain).

In Field put REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN and in Format String put $replace(%replaygain_album_gain%,+,).

-OK

Well each to his own. :slight_smile:

Having played with Media Monkey this afternoon I see it keeps “album art” when converting flac to mp3, which Foobar does not.

Isn’t this a bug in foobar, or a non standards conforming behavior of foobar, rather than a bug in the firmware?

It is important to metion that you have to insert a whitespace in front of the value.

Now I’m happy, flawless nifty little thing.^^ 

Message Edited by THORSHAMMER on 12-17-2009 12:54 PM