Refreshing Your Media

I’ve noticed this problem around and i’ve wondered if anyone’s actually found a solution to it.

Whenever I unplug my mp3 player from my computer - even if i’ve not put anything on it - it goes to the “refreshing your media” screen. It used to be rather quick, but now it takes about 5 1/2 minutes. I suspect this has something to do with the firmware update, but I could be wrong.

Anyone else have this problem?

@docstrange wrote:

I’ve noticed this problem around and i’ve wondered if anyone’s actually found a solution to it.

Whenever I unplug my mp3 player from my computer - even if i’ve not put anything on it - it goes to the “refreshing your media” screen. It used to be rather quick, but now it takes about 5 1/2 minutes. I suspect this has something to do with the firmware update, but I could be wrong.

Anyone else have this problem?

That 5 1/2 minutes…is that longer than it would take if you had indeed put music onto it? Seems fishy to me. It doesn’t take my Fuze more than 4 1/2 minutes, and that’s with 12GB to refresh…but I only connect to the computer to add/remove content, for strictly charging I use wallchargers for both my players. I suspect something is up with yours, but I can’t be sure exactly what.

when I put music on it, it’s longer, but by only about 10-15 seconds.

I use Linux & connect in MSC mode.

The ‘great new’ KDE 4.x Dolphin filemanager, by default, leaves a little file in every folder telling it how to display the folder next time you look at it. So even if you thought you had changed nothing on the folder you were looking at, Dolphin had kindly dropped a little bit of cr&p there for you, meaning the content had changed without you intentionally doing anything to it.

Maybe something like that is happening? Maybe you have some application running that surreptitiously adds an invisible file, or changes the date stamp on files/folders?

Agreed something is not quite right. Mine takes five seconds not minutes and thats with 12gb as well.

Mine takes several minutes as well (never timed it) regardless of whether I add any music. This is on Windows XP computers. 5 seconds? wow, that would be nice!

Mine (4GB + 8GB uSD) takes ~4min if I touch anything, but does not refresh after unplugging (to charge) if I have not altered the content.

That’s why I wonder if something running on DocStrange’s PC is touching files on his Fuze without him knowing.

@daytona955 wrote:

Mine (4GB + 8GB uSD) takes ~4min if I touch anything, but does not refresh after unplugging (to charge) if I have not altered the content.

That’s why I wonder if something running on DocStrange’s PC is touching files on his Fuze without him knowing.

I completely agree.

Let me answer this:

I don’t have alot of things on my computer: WinAMP, Last.fm, Mediamonkey, AVG and Mozilla Firefox.

I’m slightly suspect that AVG is causing something, but it’s the same with every other computer i’ve plugged my Fuze in.

My Fuze was fine until I installed the firmware update. It’s probably the firmware. It’s not that big of a deal at all and is only a minor inconvenience. I’ll wait until the next firmware update to see if it’s something wrong with my Fuze or it was just a bug in the firmware.

Also, I timed it again, this time with a stopwatch and not a wall clock: it was about 4 minutes, not 5.

@docstrange wrote:

Let me answer this:

I don’t have alot of things on my computer: WinAMP, Last.fm, Mediamonkey, AVG and Mozilla Firefox.

I’m slightly suspect that AVG is causing something, but it’s the same with every other computer i’ve plugged my Fuze in.

My Fuze was fine until I installed the firmware update. It’s probably the firmware. It’s not that big of a deal at all and is only a minor inconvenience. I’ll wait until the next firmware update to see if it’s something wrong with my Fuze or it was just a bug in the firmware.

Also, I timed it again, this time with a stopwatch and not a wall clock: it was about 4 minutes, not 5.

Still, this is strange. 4-ish minutes is a typical refresh time, but back to your original post, it shouldn’t be doing this if your just charging and not adding or removing any content. I hesitate to indict the firmware update because I did the same update on my Fuze. And just for the sake of curiosity, I just connected my Fuze, then clicked “safely remove hardware” as I try to always remember to do, and unplugged it, and almost instantly it was back on the FM radio screen where it had been last night when I shut it off. So I don’t think it is the firmware update doing this to your Fuze, but I’m not a programmer either.

I’ve always had the same issue.  Both on my home PC and my work PC.  Both are XP SP3 and MSC mode.  I suspected it might be McAfee AV since both machines had it, but I recently switched to VIPRE (awesome, BTW) at home and it still happens.  As soon as I plug the Fuze into the USB port it displays “Writing” on the screen.  As far as I can tell however, no files are actually added or changed.

It’s not too big of a deal since I use a wall adapter for charging, but it’s still annoying.

As for refresh time, I haven’t timed it, but it’s around 5-6 minutes for 16GB with around 3000 songs.   There’s no way a 12GB MSC mode refresh is taking seconds unless it’s all large video files.  Once you get into 1000’s of songs, it takes minutes.  Or maybe they’re using MTP, in which case the refresh happens as the files are transferred (which is why MTP transfers are slower).

Message Edited by Skinjob on 02-03-2009 11:17 AM

@marvin_martian wrote:

Still, this is strange. 4-ish minutes is a typical refresh time, but back to your original post, it shouldn’t be doing this if your just charging and not adding or removing any content. I hesitate to indict the firmware update because I did the same update on my Fuze. And just for the sake of curiosity, I just connected my Fuze, then clicked “safely remove hardware” as I try to always remember to do, and unplugged it, and almost instantly it was back on the FM radio screen where it had been last night when I shut it off. So I don’t think it is the firmware update doing this to your Fuze, but I’m not a programmer either.

Yeah, I always click on safely remove hardware, too. But yesterday, my girlfriend accidentally pulled my Fuze out of the computer without safely removing hardware, and it didn’t do the refresh screen (I put it in just to charge, not to put anything on it). There was no ill effects to my Fuze, but I don’t want to not safely remove it all the time. But that was interesting. I think it has to do more with the firmware than with AVG.

I’m having the same problem.

“Refreshing your media” screen appears for around 30 minutes every time I unplug the player from the PC - even if I’ve only been charging it and haven’t added or deleted any music.

Unless I can get this problem sorted out I feel I may have to send the player back.

I have an 8GB player and the lastest firmware. PC has Windows Vista Premium. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It happens to me too. Its a bug. If you need it to charge it and then listen to it immediatly after you disconnect, check into a wall charger, Its all I use to charge my fuze.

@ffa01 wrote:

“Refreshing your media” screen appears for around 30 minutes every time I unplug the player from the PC - even if I’ve only been charging it and haven’t added or deleted any music.

Unless I can get this problem sorted out I feel I may have to send the player back.

Every time? I wonder if this is a Vista thing…I’ve never had it for 30 minutes after unplugging, but I’ve got XP, SP3

@ffa01 wrote:

You are having a bigger issue. Check out the stuff about the chkdsk utility and check your id3tags these can cause problems.