Reply
SanDisk User
Posts: 46
Registered: ‎12-25-2008

Refreshing Your Media

I've noticed this problem around and i've wondered if anyone's actually found a solution to it.

 

Whenever I unplug my mp3 player from my computer - even if i've not put anything on it - it goes to the "refreshing your media" screen. It used to be rather quick, but now it takes about 5 1/2 minutes. I suspect this has something to do with the firmware update, but I could be wrong.

 

Anyone else have this problem?

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 4,898
Registered: ‎11-17-2008

Re: Refreshing Your Media


@DocStrange wrote:

I've noticed this problem around and i've wondered if anyone's actually found a solution to it.

 

Whenever I unplug my mp3 player from my computer - even if i've not put anything on it - it goes to the "refreshing your media" screen. It used to be rather quick, but now it takes about 5 1/2 minutes. I suspect this has something to do with the firmware update, but I could be wrong.

 

Anyone else have this problem?


That 5 1/2 minutes....is that longer than it would take if you had indeed put music onto it? Seems fishy to me. It doesn't take my Fuze more than 4 1/2 minutes, and that's with 12GB to refresh.....but I only connect to the computer to add/remove content, for strictly charging I use wallchargers for both my players. I suspect something is up with yours, but I can't be sure exactly what.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk User
Posts: 46
Registered: ‎12-25-2008

Re: Refreshing Your Media

when I put music on it, it's longer, but by only about 10-15 seconds.

SanDisk Fanatic
Posts: 294
Registered: ‎03-24-2008

Re: Refreshing Your Media

I use Linux & connect in MSC mode.

 

The 'great new' KDE 4.x Dolphin filemanager, by default, leaves a little file in every folder telling it how to display the folder next time you look at it. So even if you thought you had changed nothing on the folder you were looking at, Dolphin had kindly dropped a little bit of cr&p there for you, meaning the content had changed without you intentionally doing anything to it.

 

 

Maybe something like that is happening? Maybe you have some application running that surreptitiously adds an invisible file, or changes the date stamp on files/folders?

 

Newbie
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎01-05-2009

Re: Refreshing Your Media

Agreed something is not quite right. Mine takes five seconds not minutes and thats with 12gb as well.
Highlighted
SanDisk User
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎08-29-2008

Re: Refreshing Your Media

Mine takes several minutes as well (never timed it) regardless of whether I add any music. This is on Windows XP computers. 5 seconds? wow, that would be nice!
SanDisk Fanatic
Posts: 294
Registered: ‎03-24-2008

Re: Refreshing Your Media

Mine (4GB + 8GB uSD) takes ~4min if I touch anything, but does not refresh after unplugging (to charge) if I have not altered the content.

 

That's why I wonder if something running on DocStrange's PC is touching files on his Fuze without him knowing.

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 4,898
Registered: ‎11-17-2008

Re: Refreshing Your Media


@daytona955 wrote:

Mine (4GB + 8GB uSD) takes ~4min if I touch anything, but does not refresh after unplugging (to charge) if I have not altered the content.

 

That's why I wonder if something running on DocStrange's PC is touching files on his Fuze without him knowing.


I completely agree.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk User
Posts: 46
Registered: ‎12-25-2008

Re: Refreshing Your Media

Let me answer this:

I don't have alot of things on my computer: WinAMP, Last.fm, Mediamonkey, AVG and Mozilla Firefox.

I'm slightly suspect that AVG is causing something, but it's the same with every other computer i've plugged my Fuze in.

 My Fuze was fine until I installed the firmware update. It's probably the firmware. It's not that big of a deal at all and is only a minor inconvenience. I'll wait until the next firmware update to see if it's something wrong with my Fuze or it was just a bug in the firmware.

 

Also, I timed it again, this time with a stopwatch and not a wall clock: it was about 4 minutes, not 5.

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 4,898
Registered: ‎11-17-2008

Re: Refreshing Your Media


@DocStrange wrote:

Let me answer this:

I don't have alot of things on my computer: WinAMP, Last.fm, Mediamonkey, AVG and Mozilla Firefox.

I'm slightly suspect that AVG is causing something, but it's the same with every other computer i've plugged my Fuze in.

 My Fuze was fine until I installed the firmware update. It's probably the firmware. It's not that big of a deal at all and is only a minor inconvenience. I'll wait until the next firmware update to see if it's something wrong with my Fuze or it was just a bug in the firmware.

 

Also, I timed it again, this time with a stopwatch and not a wall clock: it was about 4 minutes, not 5.


Still, this is strange. 4-ish minutes is a typical refresh time, but back to your original post, it shouldn't be doing this if your just charging and not adding or removing any content. I hesitate to indict the firmware update because I did the same update on my Fuze. And just for the sake of curiosity, I just connected my Fuze, then clicked "safely remove hardware" as I try to always remember to do, and unplugged it, and almost instantly it was back on the FM radio screen where it had been last night when I shut it off. So I don't think it is the firmware update doing this to your Fuze, but I'm not a programmer either.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520