Recommendations for a USB charger using batteries?

Some international travel coming up.

Might need to juice the Fuze without access to a computer or line voltage.

Can anyone recommend a USB charging pack using standard batteries as the power source?

If so, whats’ the average time for charging, assuming start from Fuze at zero charge?

BD -

There are a number of these out there and some have been discussed here. I don’t have a link handy, but you should be able to ‘search’ them out.

There was even one that was solar-powered. I think I saw it on Dealextreme.

Note: I don’t know about running your Fuze till empty though; I think periodic ‘top-offs’ would probably be better. Unless you intending to use it on the 12 - 15 hour flight. Even then you could take time out for a nap and plug’er in for a drink. :wink:

Plug in on the flight?

Maybe in first class they have 12v DC but not on coach…that I ahve seen anyway.

Yeah, so my assumption is that I’d drain the battery pretty quickly in the first 4 hours of flight and then would need a top up via a battery pack.  Also, I’f I’m out in eastern Europe, line voltage may be dubious.

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

Plug in on the flight?

Maybe in first class they have 12v DC but not on coach…that I ahve seen anyway.

Yeah, so my assumption is that I’d drain the battery pretty quickly in the first 4 hours of flight and then would need a top up via a battery pack.  Also, I’f I’m out in eastern Europe, line voltage may be dubious.

I was referring to plugging it into whatever battery-powered charging device you end up getting, not one built into the plane.

And you’re smart to consider this (battery-powered) charger option, as (at least some of) Europe operates on 220v standard, NOT 110v AC. And all their wall plugs are different, so both voltage and wall plug adaptors are needed for all the conveniences we take for granted. Electric razors, blow-dryers, cell phone chargers, etc.

I think he’s just talking about the quality of the power in Eastern Europe, and worried about spikes. Its easy enough to find the voltage and the type of plug that is common in European countries.

I’ve taken various electrical devices to several European countries (including iPod charger); just check what the adapter allows for voltage. Those were Western European countries, though, and power was reliable. The other possibility is a car adapter, if you’ll be getting a rental car.

Message Edited by bdb on 12-03-2008 02:51 PM

Right, most of Europe is 240 v, 50 cycle.

What is amazing is that most adapter/wall warts for laptops, camera battery chargers and so forth, are auto-detect.  That is, they sense if the line voltage is 120v/60 hz or 240 v/50 hz.  No switching needed.

But yes, there could easily be weird or dirty power in areas outside of large cities.

I suppose what would be ideal is a rechargable device that plugs into line voltage and allows
USB port charging of devices.  Perhaps using C-cells, perhaps not.  I’ll have to search around I guess.

I would imagine the new Boeing 787 and Airbus A380 super jets (if they ever get off the production line) will have 12v power at the seats, for laptops.

But maybe not.  Probably value-engineer that subsytem out before full production.  I’d imagine 450 laptops could really add to the electrical load.

Boeing 787 Dreamliner specs:

Generators

• Four at 250 kVA (two per engine)
  • Two at 225 kVA (on auxiliary power unit)
    [250 kW is a lot of juice but a 300 laptops pulling 50-100 W each is around 2kW.  Maybe one percent of the capacity.  Seems feasible]

12 volt requires big cable.  big cable = big weight.  That would probably be more of factor than the actual loads.

Anyway, clearly I digress.

Thanks.

Back on track…

This looks like it will fit the bill perfectly:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-UPB10-Universal-Battery-10WH/dp/B000GBN42E/ref=pd_cp_e_2?pf_rd_p=413862901&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001DDLU1Q&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=176EH6GR1NHRDJ78BZE7

APC 10wH USB charger.  Juices many different devices with a USB port and in turn gets recharged itself by a computer’s
USB port or AC wall power.  I’d assume that the AC power input option would sense line voltage.

Bit pricy for right now, ($50) but I’ll probably end up getting this thing with continued Europe travel in my future.  Got great reviews on amazon.

Anyway, thanks.

Carrying around a battery powered charger for the Fuze and a supply of batteries to charge it seems expensive, impractical, and heavy. Perhaps you could get a AAA battery powered player with a small basic screeen(perhaps a Sandisk m250?) or a Sandisk Slotmusic player. There are some other AAA and AA battery based player from other manufacturers. None are great or have a huge capacity. There are players by other makers with up to 60 hour battery life that have a built in battery. I won’t name them here, since imo it is not appropriate to do so. I wish Sandisk would make some players with such long battery life.

BD -

Just gave the link a quick glance, but it seems to have the same type battery as your Fuze (Lithium-polymer), so no extra re-chargables to lug around. Also the size is nice (smaller than a deck of cards and only 3 oz.), so you won’t have to pay any ‘baggage-surcharge’ to bring it along. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d double-check though, on the line voltage issue. Not all devices have built-in converters. Never ASSUME anything when it comes to electronic devices. many people do, as evidenced by the number of posts and issues on this forum. :wink:

BD -

Just gave the link a quick glance, but it seems to have the same type battery as your Fuze (Lithium-polymer), so no extra re-chargables to lug around. Also the size is nice (smaller than a deck of cards and only 3 oz.), so you won’t have to pay any ‘baggage-surcharge’ to bring it along. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d double-check though, on the line voltage issue. Not all devices have built-in converters. Never ASSUME anything when it comes to electronic devices. many people do, as evidenced by the number of posts and issues on this forum. :wink:

But if this trip is work-related, you’ll probably have access to a computer where you can plug’er in and recharge. I take it though, this maybe won’t be on a regular basis which is why you looking for a re-charging device in the 1st place.

BD -

I’d double-check though, on the line voltage issue. Not all devices have built-in converters. Never ASSUME anything when it comes to electronic devices. Many people do, as evidenced by the number of posts and issues on this forum. :wink:

But if this trip is work-related, you’ll probably have access to a computer where you can plug’er in and recharge. I take it though, this maybe won’t be on a regular basis which is why you looking for a re-charging device in the 1st place?