Really Important suggestion for the next firmware!!!!!!!

I suggest a volume limiter!

Which is really important so you dont hurt your ears exceeding your preffered volume limit!!

I think this is an essential to all media players!!

Thanks,

SR 

@sr_rox wrote:

I suggest a volume limiter!

Which is really important so you dont hurt your ears exceeding your preffered volume limit!!

I think this is an essential to all media players!!

Thanks,

SR 

I think this is a terrible idea. I use my player alot thru car speakers, and thru a sterio system volume limitations are bad ideas!

I think its good cause you can set the volume limit to a certain preffered limit through settings so that you dont hurt your ears exceeding the preffered limit!

Can you explain me why you think its a bad idea?  :cry:

Thanks,

SR 

There are limiters on players sold in Europe, that everyone over there complain about. That combined with connecting to other equipment like CB mentioned, means I am also totally against this idea. I want to be able to crank it if I want to

@sr_rox wrote:

I think its good cause you can set the volume limit to a certain preffered limit through settings so that you dont hurt your ears exceeding the preffered limit!

Thanks,

SR 

If you’re suggesting setting your own limit, but being able to turn the limiter off, I guess that would be ok. As long as you control it…

Volume limiter is not an effective solution since you can easily get high volume with highly sensitive headphone even with the limitor on. Plus there is already a similar function built into the current firmware that allows you to choose b/w high and normal max volume.

In any case, I don’t think it is productive to create a new thread everytime you got one idea for the next firmware. Might as well keep everything in one thread and keep updating it. Just a thought.

@sr_rox wrote:

Thanks,

SR 

A few reasons mainly that it would be adding another layer of digital control to your music, and since digital music is in most cases do overly controlled by your computer and your encoder, that it sounds terrible. Second and maybe my biggest reason, is that most headphones have some kind of supressor anyhow, so that on top of a supressor mechanism in the player would make music almost to quiet, my suggestion here is a decent set of aftermarket headphones. Finally some cd players had these features and the issue became that some CDs were not even audible, again a nice aftermarket headphone especially an over the ear type will be your best solution.

@conversionbox wrote:

Second and maybe my biggest reason, is that most headphones have some kind of supressor anyhow,

Really? The few sets I’ve pulled apart have wires directly from the jack to the driver. Maybe I should try wrecking more expensive ones…

Message Edited by daytona955 on 03-20-2009 04:14 AM

@daytona955 wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

Second and maybe my biggest reason, is that most headphones have some kind of supressor anyhow,

Really? The few sets I’ve pulled apart have wires directly from the jack to the driver. Maybe I should try wrecking more expensive ones…

Message Edited by daytona955 on 03-20-2009 04:14 AM

After I posted that I tore apart a set of $10 headphones and yeah no supressor. My worry is that ANSI dictates that there should be a supressor. I know my more expensive ones do have them.

Are you trying to find the continuum transfunctioner in there?  Most curious.

Hehe.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Are you trying to find the continuum transfunctioner in there?  Most curious.

Hehe.

Only if i had access to plutonium (I think thats the right movie refrence). Its just that technically there is supposed to be some type of volume supression on all headphones.

@conversionbox wrote:

Only if i had access to plutonium (I think thats the right movie refrence). Its just that technically there is supposed to be some type of volume supression on all headphones.

I can’t see how a limiter can be be implemented in headphones.

You could stick resistors in series with the drivers, but that doesn’t stop the phones being driven harder from an amp with a bigger voltage swing on the out put.

You could clap a couple of back to back zener diodes across each driver? That wouldn’t sound very nice…

I suppose you could somehow limit the excursion of the driver’s diaphragm - but that would also introduce distortion.

You’ve got me interested now - what’s the number of the ANSI spec for this?

@daytona955 wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

I can’t see how a limiter can be be implemented in headphones.

You could stick resistors in series with the drivers, but that doesn’t stop the phones being driven harder from an amp with a bigger voltage swing on the out put.

You could clap a couple of back to back zener diodes across each driver? That wouldn’t sound very nice…

I suppose you could somehow limit the excursion of the driver’s diaphragm - but that would also introduce distortion.

You’ve got me interested now - what’s the number of the ANSI spec for this?

To be real honest… I dont know this first hand. It is part of the opeation manual at work. Acording to the manual, when we produce digital music we have to take into account the limitors in headphones as dictated by ANSI standards. I will check with my boss on Tuesday, he wrote the manual. 

OK - but it’s only for interest - so don’t bother if it’s going to be a pain :slight_smile:

Its no prob. In fact I am beginning to wonder why thats in there, as in my research I have not found one pair of headphones that have any kind of limitation. Its actually a pian to meet some of the requirements he has, If I could debunk one It would make my job easier.

The overall efficiency, and sound pressure capabilities, of a headphone are determined by a combination of factors. This is different for each headphone type, be it an open type headphone, an around-the ear sealed unit, or an IEM.  The driver size and efficiency, plus (in the case of the IEM) the chamber size and internal mechanical baffling, or port size, all come into play.

The maximum possible volume level can be calculated from these variables, from a manufacturer’s standpoint.

To test each type, a simulated head must be used of course.  For the IEM, a testing apparatus would have to achieve the same seal as the ear canal, and the SPL can then be measured.

As for electronic dampening, I would think that the only type that could have a limiter would be an active suppression model.

@neutron_bob wrote:

The overall efficiency, and sound pressure capabilities, of a headphone are determined by a combination of factors. This is different for each headphone type, be it an open type headphone, an around-the ear sealed unit, or an IEM.  The driver size and efficiency, plus (in the case of the IEM) the chamber size and internal mechanical baffling, or port size, all come into play.

The maximum possible volume level can be calculated from these variables, from a manufacturer’s standpoint.

To test each type, a simulated head must be used of course.  For the IEM, a testing apparatus would have to achieve the same seal as the ear canal, and the SPL can then be measured.

As for electronic dampening, I would think that the only type that could have a limiter would be an active suppression model.

I work with a few simulated heads, I think…

@marvin_martian wrote:

@neutron_bob wrote:

I work with a few simulated heads, I think…

Like these?

:smileyvery-happy:

Indeed, the Talking Heads are an old favorite.

I’m amazed at the last minute flurry of firmware suggestions, just as the new FW is almost ready for prime time.  Sounds like quite a bit of anticipation, just like the night before Christmas, doesn’t it?

@neutron_bob wrote:

Indeed, the Talking Heads are an old favorite.

I’m amazed at the last minute flurry of firmware suggestions, just as the new FW is almost ready for prime time.  Sounds like quite a bit of anticipation, just like the night before Christmas, doesn’t it?

Keep those ‘cards & letters’ coming in folks. It translates to job security for the SanDisk f/w development team :stuck_out_tongue: