Question for Audacity users

Hi, I recently used Audacity to split up a long file that I downloaded from a radio station website. When I listen to it on the Fuze, I hear squeaking noises (like a squeaky tape reel). However, when I listen to the same file on Windows Media Player there is no such sound! Now, the original file has a bitrate of 128, and I saved it to 64. I did a quick test of saving a portion at 128, and I don’t get the squeaks on the Fuze. So I guess that’s my answer–I’ll have to redo my editing.

Still, I am puzzled that I only here the sound artifacts on the Fuze and not WMP. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

ugh, why would you reduce the quality even more by going to 64kbps? leave it at 128 at least. 

Message Edited by lillitnn92 on 04-18-2009 07:03 PM

@cmhodge wrote:

Hi, I recently used Audacity to split up a long file that I downloaded from a radio station website. When I listen to it on the Fuze, I hear squeaking noises (like a squeaky tape reel). However, when I listen to the same file on Windows Media Player there is no such sound! Now, the original file has a bitrate of 128, and I saved it to 64. I did a quick test of saving a portion at 128, and I don’t get the squeaks on the Fuze. So I guess that’s my answer–I’ll have to redo my editing.

Still, I am puzzled that I only here the sound artifacts on the Fuze and not WMP. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Those artifacs could come from a few places. One of them is that you took a (some would say) terrible quality file and made it worse. Any downgrade like this is going to give you issues. It could also be something in the tags or something audacity embedded in the file, these are things the Fuze reads, and WMP doesnt.