Question about playlists and file nav

Looking into getting a Fuze, or a variant of the Sansa, b/c I’m getting lazy with the long method involved in having to sync up songs w/ipod and their playlists, same with the Zune.

I read the manual for Fuze, and it looks like I can just drag/drop files onto the player. My question is can I make folders, like driving music, trance, etc. And then put different songs into each folder, and then be able to go to that folder and shuffle the songs only within that folder?

Second question (assuming my previous answer is no), is about playlist creation. It sounds like I have to make playlists inside WMP and then sync it up? Is there an alternative way? I read an old thread about using other software to generate the playlist, but my playlist would basically be all the songs in a particular folder (the one I’m talking about in 2nd paragraph).

Thanks for any input!

You can trick the Sansa all kinds of fun ways using ID3 tags. That’s the information like Album, Artist, Song, Genre, that’s part of each .mp3.

So if you want to shuffle a certain batch of songs, you could label them all the same Genre and shuffle the Genre. 

More ID3 info here:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=announcements&thread.id=201&view=by\_date\_ascending&page=1

You don’t have to use WMP to make playlists. You can also use Media Monkey (in MSC mode) or Winamp. 

eli2k wrote:

I read the manual for Fuze, and it looks like I can just drag/drop files onto the player. My question is can I make folders, like driving music, trance, etc. And then put different songs into each folder, and then be able to go to that folder and shuffle the songs only within that folder?

Yes, with the most recent firmware you can browse and play by folder.

Sounds perfect. Thanks!