Problem with ogg file playback

I’ve experienced a problem with both the 01.01.22F and 01.20.26F versions of the firmware. When playing back ogg files, I have the following issues:

1. This is a consistent issue: when the backlight is off, using the wheel to change volume results in the track skipping back to the start. This happens with every ogg file, no matter the quality setting or what they’ve been encoded with. I’ve tried re-encoding with different encoders and quality settings, but this has no effect.
  2. This issue only affects some ogg files: once the backlight turns off (I have it set to 10 seconds) the playback stops, the backlight comes back on and the file skips back to the start. This goes on repeatedly. All my files have been encoded by the same encoder. I’ve tried re-encoding the files where this happens with different encoders (the default I use is the ogg plugin with Gstreamer, but I have also used the command line oggenc), but I get the same behaviour no matter what I use. This also goes the same for different quality settings (I have tried with Q4, Q4.6 and Q5).
  3. This issue only affects some ogg files: when one track ends and playback is about to progress to the next track, if the backlight is off the first second of the next track will play, but then the backlight comes on and the previous track starts playing. This again happens with seemingly random ogg files, not all of them, and doesn’t seem to be affected by changing the encoder or the quality setting. If the backlight is on during the change to the next track, this issue doesn’t happen.

Is this a known problem? Has anyone experienced any of the above problems and know a way of fixing them?

Thanks in advance.

Message Edited by oneiris on 04-22-2009 05:58 PM

I haven’t seen such issues.  Perhaps a format will help?

The format hasn’t helped. I’m still getting the same problems.

As a note, these files play fine on other players, so it’s unlikely to be something wrong with the files.

very annoying problem…

Are these files ripped straight from CD, or did you get them elsewhere?  What encoder are you using?

If you can, try using a different encoder.

These particular files have been ripped from CD to flac, and then transcoded to ogg. However, I’ve tried ripping to ogg directly from CD and I’ve also tried switching encoders. While re-ripping has helped with a few of the ogg files, the majority of the ones I was experiencing problems with still have the same issues.

Here’s what I’d try.  I use Ogg Vorbis exclusively on my Fuze, and never had a problem out of the box.

In order:

Do a soft reset, hold the power switch in the ON position for 20 seconds or so, release, then turn the Fuze on.  May want to do this a few times.

Do a format from the Fuze’s settings menu.

Do a format from Windows.  (Assuming you’re using Windows.)

After each of these, try again to see if the problem persists.  If, after all this, it still is having problems, I’d call SanDisk support 1-866-sandisk.

I’ve tried the reset and format route, and that hasn’t helped either. Exactly the same files are skipping.

I’m a bit hesitant about returning the player because apart from these issues, it works beautifully. Just out of interest, is it the decoding done by a companion chip, or is there a software decoder that handles the Vorbis format?

@oneiris wrote:

I’ve tried the reset and format route, and that hasn’t helped either. Exactly the same files are skipping.

I’m a bit hesitant about returning the player because apart from these issues, it works beautifully. Just out of interest, is it the decoding done by a companion chip, or is there a software decoder that handles the Vorbis format?

I have no clue about the decoder.

Do call the support number.  Maybe they know a trick or two that will work.