Problem Accessing files on 8gb MicroSDHD card

Hello,

I have an 8gb microSDHD card with an 8gb fuze, and have a problem reading files on it.  All files I have put on the card are there when I look on the device when I connect it to the computer, but when I scroll through the music on the device, some artists/albums/songs are not displayed.  I formatted both the card and internal drive and filled up the card and was able to access all files.  Now, as I add files to the internal drive, I begin to loose access to the music on the 8gb card, even though all files are still physically on the card.  Does anyone have any experience with this or how to fix it?

Thank you.

All files are in a format supported by the Fuze? 
I have an 8GB card and I don’t have this problem, everything I put on the card shows up fine on my Fuze.

Hi Neco,

If I understand your post your computer sees that there are indeed files on the external card but they do not show up on the Fuze’s indexes? Did they ever? It is hard to understand what you filled up first, the external card and then added to the internal memory?

I have had a similar problem, which no one seems to have (I’ve posted this issue to this forum a few times now without anyone responding with having the Fuze behave the same).

When I have deleted a file (albums really, as I only sync full albums as released by artists which work essentially as individual playlists) on an external card and readd it later the files appear on the card according to my pc but can’t access them through the indexes on the Fuze!

It has been reported that the combined internal and external song listing capacity is around 4120 currently. Now I don’t know if that means the total that will be displayed in the SONG index list or if that once you add the 4121st song it won’t show up on ANY of the indexes (ARTIST/ALBUM/GENRE etc) 

I know that after I reformated both the internal memory and external card and readded all the contents everything was there again. What a pain!

Good luck!

Message Edited by bobletteross on 10-10-2008 05:57 AM

Bobletteross:

Can I ask whether you empty the wastebasket basket before you disconnect the fuse (otherwise the files will still be on the card, using up memory but will not be accessible to the player)? Reformatting will remove everything and the card will be empty again.

A bit of math. If your songs are at 128 kbps then you will get around 18 hours of music per gig. If your songs average 3 minutes each, then figure 360 songs per gig, or around 5,760 songs on 16 gigs. If your music is at 128 kbps and your average song length is under four and a half minutes, then the 4,000 or so song limit is probably the problem.

Hi technovant,

I am not sure of your question. When deleting the fikes from my Fuze while in WMP 11 I never added them to any the Windows recycle bin. They are “removed” from the Fuze’s memory. Thet do not show up on the internal or external memory when seeking them either from WMP 11 or the Fuze’s indexes or viewing the Fuze’s contents in the Windows Explore function.

But the problem is when I DO readd them they still can’t be found on the indexes even though WMP 11 can see them…Windows Exploer says they are there…all indications show that the memory space IS indeed used up by these tracks once again on the device…just not accessable!

The Fuze has no waskbasket to my knowledge…anyone seen one?

Another question sort of on-topic…

1.  For use with video, does an SDHC card (specifically a SanDisk 8 gb), is the “Class”: rating of the card important?  Can a Class 2 work fine for video or is a Class 4 required for smooth reading?

2.  Is the little circle and number printed on the card indicative of the Class-rating?

Based on my experience, the total number of songs is between 3900 and 4100 dependent on memory used to store the id3 tag info.  Don’t know what the memory allocation is.

In any case, the Fuze stored songs were displayed first and any songs above the limit, which in my case were on the SDHC card, were not displayed and were not listed in any of the database categories.

If the limit is exceeded and a song is added to the Fuze memory, the last song on the SDHC card would be dropped as well.  In that case, a previously listed song would disappear.

Sandisk has indicated that the song limit will be increased in the next update which I believe is scheduled for November 2008. 

Hope this helps.

When you get into video, any sense of how important the “class” rating is on these high capacity cards?

Message Edited by blackdog-sansa on 10-23-2008 03:15 PM

Hello Bobletteross,

I have a Mac.  When deleting files from the Fuze (and any other mass storage device eg a memory stick) it is necessary to empty the Trash whilst the device is still attached to the computer otherwise the deleted file stays in the device’s trashes file (invisible) and the memory used by that deleted file is still used.  To make the memory available again it is important to empty that trash file by emptying the computer’s trash (which also empties the trash file for any attached device).

Assuming you are using  PC, I am expecting that the same condition applies.  Have a look at what is in the computer’s recycle bin before you disconnect the Fuse.

Hi technovant,

Well, my experience is when deleting the files from the Fuze in the manner previously described the space taken up by the files are immediately available for adding other files.

Again, the issue is not that the files don’t get deleted…the problem I was having was when at some later time I did add these files again (after taking them off) they will not be seen by the Fuzes indexes even though they are there again and can be verified by checking on the pc.

Has no one come across this behavior? Have you tried to readd after deleting without reformatting the internal memory?..someone…anyone?

Bob-

While connected in MSC mode, simply delete the mtable.sys file in the root directory, if you have phantom files.  This is the Fuze’s result file from the database refresh process.  What could be happening is that the file is being appended, rather than overwriting the file, in which case the Fuze builds a new one from scratch.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi neutron_bob,

Sansafix suggested that too…didn’t do the job either…strange no one else is having this problem…

Only guys named Bob. :smileyvery-happy:

Correction: only 1 guy named Bob. :wink:

Bruce 1: " 'Allo Bruce!"

Bruce 2: " 'Allo Bruce!"

Bruce 3: " 'Allo Bruce!" etc…etc…

@blackdog_sansa wrote:
When you get into video, any sense of how important the “class” rating is on these high capacity cards?
Message Edited by blackdog-sansa on 10-23-2008 03:15 PM

No. 

Difference between class 4 and class 6 memory card - link with info on the cards and that if you have more “files” (music, etc.) on it, then it will take longer to reresh.  I have a class 2 card wtih a video and it doesn’t seem any different then the Class 6.