SanDisk Guru

Re: Printing my fuzes content? or MP 11's content?

Good stuff.  Coming from the world of CP/M, the command prompt is your trusty friend.

Bob  Smiley Wink 

SanDisk Guru

@Skinjob wrote:

Assuming you use an Artist\Album style folder structure, here's another option to get a simple list from the command line:

dir X:\Music /B /AD /S | sort > AlbumList.txt & start AlbumList.txt

Where  X: is the drive letter of your Fuze.

SJ -

For those of use who have long forgotton their DOS lingo (and those who came into computers long after it was necessary) could you please de-cypher the Syntax symbols?

jmr
SanDisk User

Tapeworm wrote: 

For those of use who have long forgotton their DOS lingo (and those who came into computers long after it was necessary) could you please de-cypher the Syntax symbols?

/B - Lists only the filename; omits the header.  "Bare" format

/AD - Lists directories. 

/S  - Lists files in directories and sub-directories. 

Everything after /S is new to me though.  I never knew you could dump a directory listing to a text file.  Could come in handy some day.  

SanDisk Professor

[ Edited ]

@jmr wrote:

Tapeworm wrote: 

/B - Lists only the filename; omits the header.  "Bare" format

/AD - Lists directories. 

/S  - Lists files in directories and sub-directories. 

Everything after /S is new to me though.  I never knew you could dump a directory listing to a text file.  Could come in handy some day.  

jmr is correct about the above switches.  You can type DIR /? at the command line if you want more details.

The "|" (called a pipe) is a way to take the output of one command and use it as the input for another command.  In this case the output of the DIR command, which would normally go to the screen, is instead used as the input for the SORT command.  The SORT command is normally used to sort a text file, but with the pipe we are able to use the output of DIR instead of a physical file.

The ">" is a redirection operator.  It takes the output of the command to the left of the operator and sends it to the file on the right of the operator.  Normally, the SORT command would send its output to the screen.  Using redirection we are able to send it to the AlbumList.txt file instead.

The "&" is a command separator.  It lets you execute multiple commands on the same line.  In this case the DIR|SORT>AlbumList.txt command is executed first, then the START command is executed.

The START command is basically a command line way of double clicking on a file.  "START AlbumList.txt" is the same as double clicking on AlbumList.txt.  There's a lot more to the START command, but launching files with the associated application is the main use.

Message Edited by Skinjob on 09-24-2008 10:00 AM
SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

Here is a link to a Script that will generate a text file with a listing of all the files

in any given folder and it's subfolders.

It will prompt you to open it with Notepad so it can be printed.

http://www.machinist-toolbox.com/FileListing.vbs

Download the file and double-click on it to run it.

Message Edited by tmarkoski on 09-25-2008 07:21 AM
SanDisk User

I use a FREE and so simple to use utility called Karen's DirPrin (for Directory Printer). It works with XP and below and probably with Vista, but I'd check the site first to make sure. It easily allows me to print everything down to the smallest file buried under many folders, as well as what's on my Fuze main memory and the removable cards,  too. http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp is where you'll find it.

-Sara

SanDisk User

There is a free utility called mp3list which will create lists of mp3s and all tag info.  It prints in whatever format you like.

You can download here.  http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Misc__Sound_Tools/Mp3List.html