Printing my fuzes content? or MP 11's content?

So far My wife and I  only ripped CD to both our units but would like to print a list of what’s in each one.  We use Microsoft Media Player  11 and I see no way to print a list from there…  Just a list of all CD’d would be great to… I don’t want to type a list out by hand then print it… Is there a good way to accomplish this? Even just a list of what we ripped to the computer would be fine…  At least we would know then … So far we have keep  our  ripped CD separate from our collection just to make it easier… We have 700 to 800 CD’d give or take Thanks! George

Message Edited by George-W on 09-21-2008 04:54 AM

The simplicity of a saved album list, or songs too, wasn’t implemented in Windows Media Player.  Go figure.

Something so basic should have been worked into the mix of featires, one would think.

I just tried pooking at a µSD card, using Windows Exploder.  I highlighted all albums, hoping to be able to print the collection, but Windows asssumes I would like to move these files somewhere, rather than save a list.

I could use [Ctrl][Print Scrn] to save the screen, then paste this from the clipboard to Microsoft Paint for a print…

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Bob,

Thanks! I thought it was me…  Thinking there must be something I’m missing… But I’ll save screen then paste in paint like you said… For now it will have to do… Maybe others had some creative way… Thanks for trying to work this out for us and for giving us a work around for now… My wife and I appreciate it!  George 

Media Monkey will create a ‘report’ of your player’s library (Artist, Album, Title, Length, Year, Bitrate, etc.) that can be exported/converted to Excel (.xls format). It’s the only reason I keep MM on my computer. Just having albums/music backed-up in not enough. I want a list of what I have on my player. I don’t always have entire albums loaded. Sometimes there are a few ‘dogs’ left out, so having a back-up ‘list’ is nice.

Media Monkey will create a ‘report’ of your player’s library (Artist, Album, Title, Length, Year, Bitrate, etc.) that can be exported/converted to Excel (.xls format). It’s the only reason I keep MM on my computer. Just having albums/music backed-up in not enough. I want a list of what I have on my player. I don’t always have entire albums loaded. Sometimes there are a few ‘dogs’ left out, so having a back-up ‘list’ is nice.  

Media Money was the only program I could find that would create a ‘list’, so I wouldn’t have to go through and manually type one up. It sounds so simple, yet nothing will do it except MM (that I’ve found).

Tapeworm,

Thanks!  Is Media Monkey a free program? It sound like it would be useful just to create a list, like you said! I’m going to check it out now and maybe load it in my wife’s desktop. It seems crazy not to have a printable list. we may have 250 Cd’s ripped now and didn’t want to put them back on the shelves until we could do something. Off to

see If i can find MM!!  Thanks again!  I think this will be a very useful topic for most… George

Yes, there is a Media Monkey version that is free. There’s also a paid version with more features. One downside though is that it likes to try and assume control of everything. It wants to be the ‘default’ media player for ALL formats of everything! So everytime I use it, afterwards I have to go through and manually re-assign Windows Media Player to be my ‘default’ player.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Assuming you use an Artist\Album style folder structure, here’s another option to get a simple list from the command line:

dir X:\Music /B /AD /S | sort > AlbumList.txt & start AlbumList.txt

Where  X: is the drive letter of your Fuze.  Or you could replace X:\Music with the path to your music library on your computer.

This will create a file called AlbumList.txt containing a sorted listing of all the artist and album folders and open it in notepad (or whatever you have associated with .txt files).

Obviously not as pretty as a formatted report from MM, but it’s a quick way to get a listing.

Message Edited by Skinjob on 09-23-2008 03:53 PM

Great! Thanks!  Space is of utmost concern for me as I’ll on a laptop with very limited space *30gb hd*…  How the list looks is not a issue!!  Thanks again! George

Good ‘old-school’ method there, Skinjob. I’m going to book-mark your post for future reference. :smiley:

Glad to help.  I’m actually one of those weirdos that enjoys the arcane art of command line scripting.  I’m always coming up with little scripts and batch files to do this sort of thing.

Good stuff.  Coming from the world of CP/M, the command prompt is your trusty friend.

Bob  :wink: 

@skinjob wrote:

Assuming you use an Artist\Album style folder structure, here’s another option to get a simple list from the command line:

Where  X: is the drive letter of your Fuze.

SJ -

For those of use who have long forgotton their DOS lingo (and those who came into computers long after it was necessary) could you please de-cypher the Syntax symbols?

Tapeworm wrote: 

For those of use who have long forgotton their DOS lingo (and those who came into computers long after it was necessary) could you please de-cypher the Syntax symbols?

/B - Lists only the filename; omits the header.  “Bare” format

/AD - Lists directories. 

/S  - Lists files in directories and sub-directories. 

Everything after /S is new to me though.  I never knew you could dump a directory listing to a text file.  Could come in handy some day.  

@jmr wrote:

Tapeworm wrote: 

/B - Lists only the filename; omits the header.  “Bare” format

/AD - Lists directories. 

/S  - Lists files in directories and sub-directories. 

Everything after /S is new to me though.  I never knew you could dump a directory listing to a text file.  Could come in handy some day.  

jmr is correct about the above switches.  You can type DIR /? at the command line if you want more details.

The “|” (called a pipe) is a way to take the output of one command and use it as the input for another command.  In this case the output of the DIR command, which would normally go to the screen, is instead used as the input for the SORT command.  The SORT command is normally used to sort a text file, but with the pipe we are able to use the output of DIR instead of a physical file.

The “>” is a redirection operator.  It takes the output of the command to the left of the operator and sends it to the file on the right of the operator.  Normally, the SORT command would send its output to the screen.  Using redirection we are able to send it to the AlbumList.txt file instead.

The “&” is a command separator.  It lets you execute multiple commands on the same line.  In this case the DIR|SORT>AlbumList.txt command is executed first, then the START command is executed.

The START command is basically a command line way of double clicking on a file.  “START AlbumList.txt” is the same as double clicking on AlbumList.txt.  There’s a lot more to the START command, but launching files with the associated application is the main use.

Message Edited by Skinjob on 09-24-2008 10:00 AM

Here is a link to a Script that will generate a text file with a listing of all the files

in any given folder and it’s subfolders.

It will prompt you to open it with Notepad so it can be printed.

http://www.machinist-toolbox.com/FileListing.vbs

Download the file and double-click on it to run it.

Message Edited by tmarkoski on 09-25-2008 07:21 AM

I use a FREE and so simple to use utility called Karen’s DirPrin (for Directory Printer). It works with XP and below and probably with Vista, but I’d check the site first to make sure. It easily allows me to print everything down to the smallest file buried under many folders, as well as what’s on my Fuze main memory and the removable cards,  too. http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp is where you’ll find it.

-Sara

There is a free utility called mp3list which will create lists of mp3s and all tag info.  It prints in whatever format you like.

You can download here.  http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Misc__Sound_Tools/Mp3List.html

The simplicity of a saved album list, or songs too, wasn’t implemented in Windows Media Player.  Go figure.Something so basic should have been worked into the mix of featires, one would think. Online printing

The simplicity of a saved album list, or songs too, wasn’t implemented in Windows Media Player.  Online printing