Pretty pissed right now :(

Just got my fuze in this morning from ebay and when I plug it in to change the album titles in winamp, winamp freezes and shuts down.  When I plug in my view, it works perfectly, How do I fix this?

Also Is it me or is the view alot louder than the fuze O_O. 

You have Windows Media 11 installed. There’s a runtime that operates with WM 11 that doesn’t work correctly with Winamp. Using most Sansa players with Winamp will crash it unless you roll back to WM 10. 

The only problem is rolling back to WMP10 doesn’t remove the WMP11 runtime.  I’ve rolled back to 10 and the 11 runtime will not go away.  From what I’ve been told you’ll have to reinstall Windows if you want to get rid of the WMP11 runtime.  I didn’t feel like going through all that so I left it.  I get along just fine dragging and dropping in MTP mode.

you can manually uninstall the wmp11 runtime. in add and remove programs, if you show updates, it should show the windows media player 11 SDK runtime. although the picture below show I have WMP10, I’ve downgraded and upgraded many times between WMP10 and WMP11. 

Well it worked somewhat.  Winamp recognizes it now, but guess what The device wont show up in my computer and it cant be recognized so I cant delete files.  Also I cant see the files on my device when connected to winamp :(. 

@aircraftkiller wrote:

You have Windows Media 11 installed. There’s a runtime that operates with WM 11 that doesn’t work correctly with Winamp. Using most Sansa players with Winamp will crash it unless you roll back to WM 10. 

I haven’t heard of this one.  Presumably it only applies to MTP mode?  I have a 4GB Clip that I use in MSC mode without problem.  I’m planning on getting an 8GB Fuze.  Can I assume the Fuze should work OK with Winamp in MSC mode since my Clip does?

it WORKed in msc mode for me BUT showed absolutely no files so I cant delete anything.  Ill summarize what the heck happened to me for someone to help me.

I plug my sansa fuze in, computer recognizes and installs it. 

It crashes winamp but shows up as a device in my computer so I just dragged and dropped my music files in. 

I uninstall “WMP 11 RUNTIME”  and then it STARTS to work in winamp BUT doesnt show any files when I plug it in so i cant delete any songs.  Not only that but my computer doesnt recognize my device anymore and doesnt show up in my computer so I cant drag and drop any more songs.  I can only add through winamp.  The rest of my songs dont show in winamp, only the ones that I added through winamp show up.  :frowning:

@kingofpop3 wrote:

it WORKed in msc mode for me BUT showed absolutely no files so I cant delete anything.  Ill summarize what the heck happened to me for someone to help me.

I plug my sansa fuze in, computer recognizes and installs it. 

It crashes winamp but shows up as a device in my computer so I just dragged and dropped my music files in. 

I uninstall “WMP 11 RUNTIME”  and then it STARTS to work in winamp BUT doesnt show any files when I plug it in so i cant delete any songs.  Not only that but my computer doesnt recognize my device anymore and doesnt show up in my computer so I cant drag and drop any more songs.  I can only add through winamp.  The rest of my songs dont show in winamp, only the ones that I added through winamp show up.  :frowning:

if files were added while the device is in mtp mode you can not see them in msc mode. if you are using the device in msc mode just format the device and reload all your files.

By putting hold on and holding the left click button while plugging the player in is that msc mode to?

yes that is msc mode.

so whats the difference between msc and mtp? Is it better to transfer in mtp or msc?

MTP is only needed for subscription music. if you do not use that you will be fine using MSC.

I prefer to use MTP, since read/writes are accounted in realtime, rather than the “background” movements of MSC mode.  I’m scared to death of removing USB drives, after I lost a semester assignment due to corrupted files. >.<;

Also, Rhapsody To Go uses MTP, so it’d be an extra step to switch before syncing if I was using MSC.

I started a thread awhile back to compare and contrastthe two: link

Now Im really pissed.  My songs wont play because I gotta synchronize with subscription so I retransferred in mtp mode, but seeing how it wont show up in my computer I cant drop the album art with my music.  Damnit.

@romzombie wrote:

I prefer to use MTP, since read/writes are accounted in realtime, rather than the “background” movements of MSC mode.  I’m scared to death of removing USB drives, after I lost a semester assignment due to corrupted files. >.<;

Quick FYI since I imagine some people may not be aware of the “Write caching and Safe Removal” options for removable storage devices in Windows.  You can find the setting in Device Manager, Disk drives.  Right click your USB drive, select properties and go to the Policies tab.

If you use the “Optimize for quick removal” policy, writes are committed imediately (not cached).  So as long as you are not in the middle of a file copy or some other write operation, you can always safely remove the USB device.

If you use the “Optimize for performance” policy, write caching will be enabled on the USB drive.  So you have to use the “Safely Remove Hardware” feature to ensure all writes are committed before the device is removed.

I think MTP must always use the “Optimize for quick removal” policy since my Fuze doesn’t seem to show up in the Safely Remove Hardware list in MTP mode.  I always use MSC though, so I’m not 100% sure.

@kingofpop3 wrote:
Now Im really pissed.  My songs wont play because I gotta synchronize with subscription so I retransferred in mtp mode, but seeing how it wont show up in my computer I cant drop the album art with my music.  Damnit.

You might be in a catch 22 situation now.  MTP is more stable with the latest WMP, but the latest WMP hoses Winamp’s MTP.  And if you’ve got DRM music, you’re stuck with MTP.

You might try uninstalling all WMP versions and runtimes and then resintall 10.  I think MTP drag-drop and Winamp both worked fairly well with WMP 10.  Or go with WMP 11 and live without Winamp until they come up with a fix (not a pleasant prospect).

Argh well is there anyway to make my computer recognize my sansa fuze to display as a drive so I can drag and drop? It worked before I uninstalled and reinstalled wmp11.

And why hell are my songs appearing in chinese? wtf 

Where are you getting your music from?  It may be that the ID3 tags are Asian?  Try to rip from a physical CD and see if all is well.

Bob  :smiley:

I dont get it, alot of my songs are turning up chinese, whats the deal? How do I change it