Podcasts on Micro SD cards

How do I get podcast .mp3 files to be listed as podcasts in my Sansa Fuse when I drag the files onto a Micro SD card that is connected to the device?

Setthe genre ID3 tag to Podcast.

TO Sansafix:  

I want you to know that I don’t think that  the reply you wrote is adequate. If we knew how to do what you indicate should be as simple as setting “a genre ID3 tag to podcast” we’d do it and not bother posting messages about it. As a new Fuze user (and NOT the original writer about this issue), I am frustrated because I now have to write back to say to you "What is an ID3 tag? Where do I do this? How do I change it? In which program?, etc. So I urge you to be a little more specific – and kinder – to those of us who need to understand this type of information.  Thank you.

FYI there is a search box at the top of the forum, all you need to do is search edit id3 tag.

what are id3 tags

editing id3 tags is explained in the faq section of the manual on page 32.

if you are using windows right click the files select properties then select the summery tab. on the summery tab click advanced and edit the fields you want to edit.

on mac use itunes control click the file select get info then on the info tab edit the fields you want to edit.

Ouch. The zen master gave a direct and succinct reply, taking a moment of his all too rare free time.

Main Entry: suc·cinct

Pronunciation: (ˌ)sək-ˈsiŋ(k)t, sə-ˈsiŋ(k)t\

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin succinctus having one’s clothes gathered up by a belt, tightly wrapped, concise, from sub- + cinctus, past participle of cingere to gird — more at cincture Date: 15th century

1_archaic_ a : being girded b : close-fitting2 : marked by compact precise expression without wasted words <a succinct description>

synonyms see concise

Though more prose is nice, a direct answer at the expense of verbosity sometimes fits the bill.

In cases where an answer may need elaboration, don’t hesitate to cut and paste the words into the handy search bar. I wouldn’t be mad at Sansafix, as he may have had “the boss” calling him to the dinner table, after work. I get in trouble occasionally, as I roost at the keyboard, when my wife has urgent tasks in mind.

Speaking of which, I had better shut things down and head for home…case in point!

Catch you in a little while!

Bob :stuck_out_tongue:

@sansafix wrote:
Setthe genre ID3 tag to Podcast.

As bdb observes in the second paragraph of this entry, this suggestion does not seem to work for .mp3 files (or .ogg files for that matter) on microSD cards.  Nor creating AUDIOBOOKS / PODCASTS folders at the toplevel and placing them in these folders, which is another way to show them as audiobooks / podcasts on the internal drive.

I am using  Fuze 01.01.15 firmware with a SanDisk 8GB microSDHC card.

I can confirm that setting the ID3 Genre tag to “Podcast”  or “Audiobook”  on OGG, WMA or MP3 files, then placing them on the external card results in the content being shown in the Players UI under Podcast or Audiobook.

Sansafix.

Message Edited by sansafix on 11-05-2008 11:58 AM

You have to feel badly for someone who is COMPLETELY new to the whole thing.

Poor dude.

It IS relatively complex stuff when you first look it in the face.

@sansafix wrote:

I can confirm that setting the ID3 Genre tag to “Podcast”  or “Audiobook”  on OGG, WMA or MP3 files, then placing them on the external card results in the content being shown in the Players UI under Podcast or Audiobook.

Sansafix.

Message Edited by sansafix on 11-05-2008 11:58 AM

Sorry for the noise.  I inspected the files I was trying again and found out that for whatever reason the ones that did not work either had bogus ID3v1 tag, or Id3V2 tag that said AUDIOBOOK (all capital).  After fixing them everything seems to work as expected.

Thanks for your help, as always.

I just tag one MP3 file to “Audiobook” and copy it to the root of the SD card.  It still does not show up in Audiobook.

I have tried using ID3v1.1 and ID3v2.3.  I tried using “Audiobook”, “Audiobooks”, “AUDIOBOOK”, “Podcast” and nothing shows up.  I tried copy to internal memory or SD card.

I looked at the Genre and can never find the “Audiobook” tag.

Don’t understand why it does not work.

Okay I found the problem:

1. The Album Title tag cannot be empty.  When I created the MP3 file, the Album Title was empty.  I have to tag a name to it.

2. It does not work with ID3v1.1.  I tried with ID3v2.3 and it works.  Somehow the Genre tag does not work well in ID3v1.

3. If it shows up in Audiobook, then it will not show up as “recently added”.

Sansas’ favorite variety of tag is ID3v2.3 ISO-88559-1, although v2.4 support is being added in a future f/w update. If using MP3Tag you can write ‘combo’ tags (ID3v1 ID3v2.3) for greater compatibility if you have different player(s) that use the v1 version. It will still work OK, but you have to have the v2.3.

And just to confuse things even more . . . if you use MP3Gain to ‘normalize’ or balance out the volume of your .mp3’s to a set db level, that program stores the ‘gain’ level info in APEv2 tags. This means you end up with ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3 APEv2) tags.

If using MP3Gain, you should do this after you edit/correct/write your tags in MP3Tag as it will simply add on the APE tag. If you run the file through MP3Gain first, then edit the tag in MP3Tag afterward, this will erase the APEv2 tag containing the leveling info you just applied. :wink: