Please help

Ok… I purchased this 4GB Fuze so I can listen to lectures I downloaded off the internet.  I synced them to my fuze however when I try and listen to them there is nothing there.  I mean they show up under the music folder but the duration is at 0 and it scrolls through until it come across the sample music already on the player and starts playing that. These files play fine in media player and only format I can find that it is Wave sound or WAV.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can’t figure out why I bothered writing the FAQ read BEFORE posting info, it’s obvious first time posters never read it.

@csc wrote:

Ok… I purchased this 4GB Fuze so I can listen to lectures I downloaded off the internet.  I synced them to my fuze however when I try and listen to them there is nothing there.  I mean they show up under the music folder but the duration is at 0 and it scrolls through until it come across the sample music already on the player and starts playing that. These files play fine in media player and only format I can find that it is Wave sound or WAV.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you post a link to one of the internet lectures that don’t work?

@hazza wrote:
I can’t figure out why I bothered writing the FAQ read BEFORE posting info, it’s obvious first time posters never read it.

Curious how this has anything to do with helping this person?    Does the FAQ address this problem,  if so where?   There is nothing I can see that addresses playing of WAV files, or WAV compatibility.     Please point me too it .   Any why the attitude toward someone who is requesting help?   This is a Sansa Support board.   I’m not sure, how Sansa has envisioned this to work, but I’m sure they want their customer treated with some respect, and not disdain.

@csc wrote:

Supported audio formats for the Fuze include MP3, OGG, FLAC, WMA, and WAV.   If your lectures are available in mp3 I’d suggest trying that format first.   As someone mentioned be sure your Fuze has the latest firmware, and post a link to the lecture download page if its not password protected.

Cheers

@niko_sama wrote:

Curious how this has anything to do with helping this person?    Does the FAQ address this problem,  if so where?   There is nothing I can see that addresses playing of WAV files, or WAV compatibility.     Please point me too it .   Any why the attitude toward someone who is requesting help?   This is a Sansa Support board.   I’m not sure, how Sansa has envisioned this to work, but I’m sure they want their customer treated with some respect, and not disdain.

It doesn’t specifically have the solution to thier WAV compatabilty problem but it is obvious they completely ignored section 13, specifically:

1. Choose a good heading… their heading was almost a carbon copy of the BAD example.
  2. Give us info… wow you have a Fuze… wow you have a computer… ahh bit more info please.
  3. I give all that choose to be ignorant the same attitude… the FAQ is there for a reason, read it.

Although your intentions are good,  people coming here will not take the time to read everything,   they have a problem that they are trying to fix.  It’s not realistic to expect them too.   Direct them to your FAQ if it will help them.   But I wouldn’t beat on everyone coming here for not reading everything, and exhausting all the resources before posting.   Support is to help someone,   not cut them down, or treat them like children.   Don’t feel bad if they don’t read your FAQ, it has a lot of useful information,  but fact of life, people don’t like to read the manual    RTFM doesn’t work on a support board, specially one that should be consider customer satisfaction and is sponsored by the corporation.

Peace

@hazza wrote:

1. I give all that choose to be ignorant the same attitude… the FAQ is there for a reason, read it.

Your FAQ is good,  Calling someone ignorant that comes here for support just because they don’t do things your way, is not good customer service.    In my opinion it doesn’t belong here.  I’d be surprised if Sansa would want the site run that way either.

I might request you to clean up your FAQ concerning the attitude, considering Sansa Moderators have pinned it.  People coming here might mistake you for someone with authority, and get the wrong impression of Sansa support, and how they would want their customers supported.

In an attempt to get back on-topic and stop the hazza -bashing, I would offer that while WAV is supported on the Fuze, it is not that well supported. (quote from Sansafix ). Also you didn’t mention what bit-rate these lectures were that you downloaded. If they’re too high, that might be relevant here but realistically, the stuff you download ususally is pretty low-quality/bit-rate to keep the file size small and D/L time short.

You can get a free audio-editing program Audacity, where you can open up your WAV file in it, then save (export) it as an MP3. There’s probably other programs and utilities that will do this too; I just happen to know about this one.

Bottom line? . . . Spend a couple minutes converting your .wavs to .mp3 format and they should play fine in your Fuze. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

In an attempt to get back on-topic and stop the hazza -bashing, I would offer that while WAV is supported on the

There was both an attempt to be on-topic, and stop the customer bashing,   no bashing was intended on hazza, only making a valid and important point, that should be taken seriously.

I do agree with hazza's points though and feel the same frustration as I spent quite a bit of time writing something similar on the e200 series board recently.

The fact remains though as you niko , point out that the majority of people come here hoping to find a quick answer, solution, or fix for their problem ‘du jour’. They don’t want to spend the time pouring over pages and pages and searching and searching to find what they need.

That is the purpose of the FAQ. To have one place where anyone can go to find answers to the most commonly asked questions and problems. And even if they (newbies) claim to have read the FAQ, and then state their problem, a good share of the time the FAQ really did address their issue after all.

This forum and it’s members are pretty lenient with newcomers and for the most part, very helpful. There are forums where a breach of protocol or not reading the FAQ or searching first would launch a barrage of flame posts against the perpetrator. Pretty harsh, but the point is driven home and those forums are ‘cleaner’ because of it.

It would be nice to somehow ‘encourage’ new members to first read the FAQs, like immediately after registering, the FAQ page is displayed and you have to signify that you’ve read it before you’re allowed to post for the 1st time. Although, it would probably be just like the Terms & Conditions of any software you install; you just scroll down to the bottom of it and check the ‘Yes, I have read and understand the terms above’ without actually doing it. Still though, it would at least put it in the face of everyone who joins and some might actually benefit from it.

^^^

Well said Tapeworm…

Everyone has their own unique style in an open forum. I’m an old-timer when it comes to forums, etc. as I was hanging around similiar “haunts” before the internet was widely used by us common people and we had to rely on the good old BBS systems.

For me getting into a forum argument is pretty much pointless and each side will never agree anyway.

I take a very simplistic approach to people that I feel didn’t read the FAQ or have asked a question that has been answered 1000 times elsewhere in the forum…Don’t answer!!!

Maybe they will get the hint when no one responds to their question.

That is my 2 cents (worth only a penny) for today…

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

^^^

I take a very simplistic approach to people that I feel didn’t read the FAQ or have asked a question that has been answered 1000 times elsewhere in the forum…Don’t answer!!!

Maybe they will get the hint when no one responds to their question.

That is my 2 cents (worth only a penny) for today…

I feel similar.     There is no need to bash people who come here for help,   if you take the time to say read the FAQ take two seconds and give them a link and what they should search for in it.    And don’t call someone ignorant just cause they didn’t follow some forum guidelines, most people won’t take the time.   Courtesy to Sansa’s customers will make this forum outstanding.    If the topic is an obvious flame, spam, or otherwise ignore it.   But keep the attitude someplace else.

Cheers to everyone who helps this place be as good as it is  :)

@tapeworm wrote:

I do agree with hazza's points though and feel the same frustration as I spent quite a bit of time writing something similar on the e200 series board recently.

In a perfect world everyone would know exactly how to get help on this forum.     Don’t get frustrated when a first timer comes on here and says Please help.   There’s more important things in life to be frustrated over.    If you don’t feel compelled to help someone then don’t respond to their post.     If you do respond  leave the attitudes someplace else, this is a support site, and if there are attitudes here  I hope we have responsible moderators who understand what kind of image this place gives to Sansa Customers.   

@tapeworm wrote:

It would be nice to somehow ‘encourage’ new members to first read the FAQs…

Encourage, yes.  Flame, no.

“Please read this FAQ, and post back if it doesn’t fully answer your questions”.

Since this thread has went way off topic I am locking it.

I know everyone here was trying to be helpful however please try to refrain from personal attacks. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

Message Edited by slotmonsta on 01-30-2009 12:10 PM