Please help us by running a test on your Fuze

@14124all wrote:
BAD MOVE POSTING SERIAL NUMBERS! You might find your Fuze is already registered by someone who bought a busted unit on Ebay!

It would be pointless for someone to register their Fuze with a different serial number than the one printed on their unit, because if the serial stealer sends their Fuze in for repair, Sandisk will see that the serial number on the unit doesn’t match the serial number they registered. Right?

@tstq wrote:

Mp3 128kbits 44100Hz  =  http://www.sendspace.com/file/sjrqp4

PCM 16Bit 44100Hz  =  http://www.sendspace.com/file/aebeqz

Ogg 128kbits 44100Hz  =   http://www.sendspace.com/file/459sb6

Recorded on TotalRecorder V 7.1 High Criteria

Version:  V01.01.22A

S/N:    BH0805AVUK-4G

Your Fuze is 7 hz (0.7%) fast!

@marvin_martian wrote:

@maxplanck wrote:

Buk-buk-bukaw!  The test file is only 80kb!  I would bet $100 that you have 80kb free on your Fuze.

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-16-2009 08:38 PM

When are you going to buy one and test it? You want everyone else to test theirs when you don’t even have one :stuck_out_tongue:

Touche! :stuck_out_tongue: But I do think that it makes more sense to research a product before buying it, than for one who already owns the product to put his head in the sand when he hears that it may be defective. Especially if he works in a modern recording studio, he should understand that 0.7% is significant. Try pitching up or down any one of the clients’ files, then passing it off as “finished.”  Then you’ll see how big of a deal it is! (and probably lose a client too)

@daytona955 wrote:

Different test method, similar results.

I used an Agilent 53181A (with opt 001, med. stab. oven) to measure the frequency of the player’s output directly. The counter was  calibrated by Agilent last September - i.e. it’s in cal.

I generated 10kHz tones in Audacity at 44.1k & 48k sample rates. I used 10kHz rather than 1kHz because the more transitions the better for frequency counters.

I tried 44.1k first, generating MP3 CBR, MP3 VBR, and FLAC versions.

I loaded the files to these players:

Fuze v1 01.01.22F

e260 v2 03.01.16A (not FLAC)

Both players produced a measured output frequency of 10.069kHz regardless of file encoding. (The observant among you will note that the 53181A has 10 digits. Not surprisingly, only the MS 5 were stable, so I left the rest off.)

I then generated a VBR file from a 10kHz tone at a 48k sample rate. I didn’t bother with other formats, as the 44.1k test showed no sensitivity to encoding type.

Both players generated a measured output of 10.044kHz.

Both players use AMS hardware, so I suppose the similarity in results is not surprising. 

It would be intersting to try other players…

In retrospect, I should have measured the PC’s output for interest’s sake. Maybe I’ll try that later. Better do some work now :slight_smile:

Message Edited by daytona955 on 02-17-2009 12:42 AM

Thanks Daytona!  Your test using files of a 44.1 kHz Sample Rate is very interesting.  I haven’t asked people to perform that test here due to the possibility that by providing two test files, people may get them mixed up and thus create a lot of con(FUZE?)ion.  Once this thread fills up, I will create another one using a 48 kHz test file.

I’m surprised that your Fuze is off pitch when playing 48kHz files too!   :dizzy_face:

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-17-2009 07:36 AM

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-17-2009 07:36 AM

@maxplanck wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@maxplanck wrote:

Buk-buk-bukaw!  The test file is only 80kb!  I would bet $100 that you have 80kb free on your Fuze.

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-16-2009 08:38 PM

When are you going to buy one and test it? You want everyone else to test theirs when you don’t even have one :stuck_out_tongue:

Touche! :stuck_out_tongue: But I do think that it makes more sense to research a product before buying it, than for one who already owns the product to put his head in the sand when he hears that it may be defective. Especially if he works in a modern recording studio, he should understand that 0.7% is significant. Try pitching up or down any one of the clients’ files, then passing it off as “finished.”  Then you’ll see how big of a deal it is! (and probably lose a client too)

Fine I will make my defenc one last time. I dont believe it is productive for someone to go around makeing problems where there are none. This as I said is a nonissue in my book. If we had hundreds of people on here saying “Hey my fuze plays funny” then ok we can pursue it, but instead 3 or 4 people came on and said something and now you are asking otherwise happy users to test their player and are then telling them how far off it is. It seems counterproductive and dare I say trollish. I work in the most modern studios in the US and none of us here can hear a difference against orgional recordings. If you want to waste a bunch of time ruining peoples experice and scaring people away from the player then you can go a head. But I will not be a part of it. And as for me Burrying my head in the sand… I prefer to be a productive member of the boards, and atually help people not investigate an issue that 6 people noticed before this witch hunt started. I agree with Marvin, Max go out and buy yourself a fuze and test it. IF its sooo far of that you feel like you need to have your ears replaced just return it. There I said my peace, I am done with this.

^^^

Bravo!!!  CB !!!  (Standing Ovation, please)

Yet again, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Do Ipods or Zunes have perfect playback?

Thank you so much CB for saying what so many of us must be thinking.This cats thread has been disingenuous from the start.This whole subject has been a crock and the OP’s motivations are deeply suspect and must be called into question.Well done CB. 

@maxplanck wrote:

Touche! :stuck_out_tongue: But I do think that it makes more sense to research a product before buying it, than for one who already owns the product to put his head in the sand when he hears that it may be defective.

Whoa, hold it for a second.   The wording of your first post (ie “Please help us”, " We are using this information…" ) led me to believe you were doing this test solely for the purpose of helping Sandisk/Sansa identify and potentially fixing the slow (or fast) playback issue, _ NOT _ to help you determine whether or not you wanted to buy the player.

I probably would have helped out either way, but your (intentionally?) misleading word choice irks me.

Message Edited by jmr on 02-17-2009 10:49 PM

lol are you guys kidding?  It’s mostly serious musicians (people who play) who I’ve seen posting complaints.  If they play a properly tuned musical instrument along with their Fuze, the net result is obviously out of tune, and useless. 

In addition, people with the ability to measure the problem have confirmed that it exists, on a whole greater order of magnitude than with the other devices measured.

@donp wrote:

So the Clip’s pitch error (and presumably play speed error) is over 20x worse than my other portables, and 200x worse than the difference between my CD player and DVD player.

Arranger wrote: 

My fuze was replaced by a new Sony NWZ-e438f that reproduces tracks precisely on pitch and at identical speed to the same tracks played on all of my other devices.

I don’t think that Arranger has run the test with his Sony, I’d be interested to see the results of that test.  However, since he’s a musician who plays a properly tuned instrument along with his player, and who detected the Fuze’s off pitch playback with his ears in that situation, I think that he’s probably right about the Sony playing back on pitch.  BUT, to be certain, let’s see his test results. Arranger, do you mind performing the test for us, and uploading the file so we can all verify the results?

If you think the people who have identified, quantified, and complained about this problem are disingenuous, then you must be disingenius.

If you are so confident that your Fuze plays back on pitch, then why not prove it? I would like to see how far this problem extends, so far I have yet to see a test run on a Fuze which didn’t indicate this problem was occurring. Run the test, and post a link to your file here. 

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-17-2009 06:31 PM

jmr, when I said “us,” I meant me and the users who have been experiencing and complaining about this problem. How is using the word “us” to refer to a group of people including myself misleading?

You posting your test results will hopefully help to bring the problem to Sansa’s attention, and result in a fix. I forwarded certain key posts and links to key threads covering this issue to Sansa’s customer support, with instructions to forward them to Sansa’s Engineering Department. So, “our” efforts here are directed toward identifying the extent and magnitude of the problem, and getting it fixed if possible. 

Disclaimer: The word “our” used in this post refers to me and the other users who are interested in learning more about this problem, and seeing it corrected if possible. Don’t want anyone to get confused now :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-17-2009 06:37 PM

maxplanck wrote:

BUT, to be certain, let’s see his test results. Arranger, do you mind performing the test for us, and uploading the file so we can all verify the results?

There you go with that ‘we’ stuff again! What, do you have a mouse in your pocket?

I agree with jmr that your wording implies an official note as this is after all, a Sansa forum. You speak as though you represent everyone here, and I sure don’t remember voting you in. In fact, it seems it is just you that is obsessed with this. Not the majority of members here. In fact, quite the contrary. Less than a handful af people seem to find this troublesome.

The other musicians you mentioned have already moved on to other players; maybe you need to move on too.

There’s an old saying, “S**t or get off the pot!”

Buy a Fuze, try it. If you don’t like it, return it and get another player. But we don’t need a self-proclaimed saviour spouting doom & gloom where none exists just to make himself appear superior. One who does that is just a legend in his own mind.

maxplanck wrote:

BUT, to be certain, let’s see his test results. Arranger, do you mind performing the test for us, and uploading the file so we can all verify the results?

There you go with that ‘we’ stuff again! What, do you have a mouse in your pocket?

I agree with jmr that your wording implies an official note as this is after all, a Sansa forum. You speak as though you represent everyone here, and I sure don’t remember voting you in. In fact, it seems it is just you that is obsessed with this. Not the majority of members here. In fact, quite the contrary. Less than a handful of people seem to find this troublesome.

The other musicians you mentioned have already moved on to other players; maybe you need to move on too.

There’s an old saying, “S**t or get off the pot!”

Buy a Fuze, try it. If you don’t like it, return it and get another player. But we don’t need a self-proclaimed saviour spouting doom & gloom where none exists just to make himself appear superior. One who does that is just a legend in his own mind.

Gentlemen!   Get back on topic please.

This is a worthy topic and I’d rather not see it end in a battle between those who are doing some interesting work here, and those who should just stay out of their discussion if they don’t agree.     Who said the world was round anyways .   On with the show.  please :slight_smile: (not the useless battle).

@maxplanck wrote:
jmr, when I said “us,” I meant me and the users who have been experiencing and complaining about this problem. How is using the word “us” to refer to a group of people including myself misleading?

Well, since you admittedly don’t own a Fuze, there’s no way you can consider yourself to be among the group of people ‘experiencing’ the problem.   

@maxplanck wrote:
Your posting your test results will hopefully help to bring the problem to Sansa’s attention, and result in a fix. 

That’s what I’m hoping will happen, but honestly, I’m not all that concerned.  I’m not about to return my Fuze simply because it plays every-so-unnoticably-faster than it should; it’s not really an issue to me.  (I kinda understand your comment about musicians who may be more concerned, but honestly, if a musician was THAT much of a perfectionist, he’d/she’d probably be using some sort of high-end audio gear, not a relatively low-budget, made-for-the-common-man MP3 player. )

Just as an aside, I’m not all that fond of the way you’ve been handling this topic.  The “Buk-buk-bukaw!” and the chicken photo in particular come off as pretty immature.

EDIT: Looks like you edited your post several times while I was typing up mine.  

@maxplanck wrote:

I forwarded certain key posts and links to key threads covering this issue to Sansa’s customer support, with instructions to forward them to Sansa’s Engineering Department. So, “our” efforts here are directed toward identifying the extent and magnitude of the problem, and getting it fixed if possible.

Good move, in my opinion.

@niko_sama wrote:

Gentlemen!   Get back on topic please.

This is a worthy topic and I’d rather not see it end in a battle between those who are doing some interesting work here, and those who should just stay out of their discussion if they don’t agree. 

Yes, please.  

Message Edited by jmr on 02-17-2009 11:23 PM

Message Edited by jmr on 02-17-2009 11:27 PM

my Fuze is V0.1.01.22A

And people SHUT UP no one wants to read this ■■■■, type what needs to be typed about the problem and SHUT UP

Message Edited by jrdnkasparek on 02-17-2009 10:01 PM

At this point, I’d like to ask the mentally retarded people to leave the thread. Thank you.

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-17-2009 07:05 PM

oh that’s real mature

@maxplanck wrote:

lol are you guys kidding?  It’s mostly serious musicians (people who play) who I’ve seen posting complaints.  If they play a properly tuned musical instrument along with their Fuze, the net result is obviously out of tune, and useless. 

<–Snip–>

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-17-2009 06:31 PM

1 Serious Musicians? I ahve been playing professionally since age 7. Thats 2/3 of my life. And I do play a properly tuned instrument. My Guitar is tested and tuned by computers DAILY (And yeah the computer tunes it), My Bass undergoes the same process. My Drum kit (Its a little more of an unexact science) Are mechanically calibrated once a week. And My Piano Is tuned once a month (I play it least). I can sit down and read the music to any song an play back that recording againt my fuze and its spot on. So dont ask about serious musicians unless you have credentials at least as good as mine. And Oh yeah mine include contracts with 4 of the Big 5 record labels.

1. Until you go get a fuze and test your own nothing you say is valid. Period. So Go away! When you are willing to put your own cash on the line I will be more than happy to listen to you.

Cbox, run the test and post your results or gtfo.

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-17-2009 07:15 PM

maxplanck,

As you have seen there are very few Fuze users who consider this an issue. While the tests you have requested have shown some interesting results the overall community of users do not see this as a deal breaking issue. My suggestion to you is to purchase a Fuze and test it for yourself. If you can indeed hear a noticeable difference in the sound quality of the files played on the Fuze, return it for a refund and move on to another device. This thread is starting to move off topic resulting in personal attacks on other members so I am locking the thread.  

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

Message Edited by slotmonsta on 02-17-2009 08:10 PM