Please help me with organizning my audio files on my Sansa 4gb

Hi,

I have a lot of audio books and lectures downloaded to my Sansa. This is my first ipod (so I lack experience). It seems the files get randomly loaded into folders already created on the Sansa. I would like to create separate folders and subfolders for certain files, but when I create these folders while my Sansa is connected my computer, the folders either don’t show up when I disconnect the Sansa, or the files are not in the folders I’ve moved them to. I’m doing something wrong, but I can’t figure out what. I have tried to look for help in the archives, and downloaded the Mp3tag software that I saw recommended, but I don’t really know if that is what I need, and I don’t know how to use it. 

It seems that what I want to do should be a lot easier and straight forward than it appears to be.

I’d appreciate any help and thanks…

WG

You should go into Settings > USB and switch to anything but “Auto Detect”, as that might be what is causing your problems. Files added in MTP mode can only be “seen” in MTP mode, likewise for MSC Mode.

If that fails, the file system might be corrupted. I might try backing everything on the player up (assuming you haven’t already), and reformat. Make sure the files from BOTH modes are backed up.

@woolgirl wrote:

This is my first ipod (so I lack experience).

This is a SanDisk forum. If you’re looking for the iPod forum iLounge you can find it here.

It seems the files get randomly loaded into folders already created on the Sansa. I would like to create separate folders and subfolders for certain files, but when I create these folders while my Sansa is connected my computer, the folders either don’t show up when I disconnect the Sansa, or the files are not in the folders I’ve moved them to.

That’s because what you are viewing on the player is not the folder/file structure. The information you are seeing is from the file’s ID3 tags. You can make any folder/subfolder/file system you want, but the player is not going to display it that way, unless you use the Folders option at the bottom of the Muisc menu.

I have tried to look for help in the archives, and downloaded the Mp3tag software that I saw recommended,

That’s a good start.

but I don’t really know if that is what I need,

Yes, it is.

and I don’t know how to use it.

You can find lots of tips in the MP3Tag forum or in any of the many discussions on the subject of ID3 tags here on the forum.

If you have podcasts or lectures that you want to find in one place, the Genre tag in mp3tag will help you. Find them on your computer and use mp3tag to change the genre to something consistent like Podcasts or Lectures. Then, when the tags are fixed, transfer them to the Fuze and browse via Genre.