Playlist confusion over (UTF-8) encoding

The following playlist does not work for me (contents show as [Empty] ):

playlist1.m3u:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:434,Symphony No. 5 In C Minor Op. 67: Allegro Con Brío
Lubov Orchestra\Beethoven- Symphonies No. 5 And 8\01 Symphony No. 5 In C Minor Op. 67_ Allegro Con Brío.mp3

Notice the accented ‘i’ in ‘Brío’.

Now the following playlists, which use UTF-8 encoding, all *do* work:

playlist2.m3u (UTF-8 encoded, still with ‘.m3u’ file extension):

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:434,Symphony No. 5 In C Minor Op. 67: Allegro Con Brí-­o
Lubov Orchestra\Beethoven- Symphonies No. 5 And 8\01 Symphony No. 5 In C Minor Op. 67_ Allegro Con BrÃ-­o.mp3

playlist3.m3u8 (same as #2, but with ‘.m3u8’ extension):

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:434,Symphony No. 5 In C Minor Op. 67: Allegro Con Brí-o
Lubov Orchestra\Beethoven- Symphonies No. 5 And 8\01 Symphony No. 5 In C Minor Op. 67_ Allegro Con Brí-o.mp3

playlist4.m3u8 (with ‘.m3u8’ extension and leading Byte Order Mark):

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:434,Symphony No. 5 In C Minor Op. 67: Allegro Con BrÃ-­o
Lubov Orchestra\Beethoven- Symphonies No. 5 And 8\01 Symphony No. 5 In C Minor Op. 67_ Allegro Con Brí-o.mp3

[I believe #4’s success is new with 01.01.15; I think it failed with earlier firmware.  Note: I had to fudge the above UTF-8 sequences to get them to appear on this web page as they do in my text editor.  The actual byte values for the accented ‘i’ are x’C3AD’.]

I’m glad to see UTF-8 supported with the .m3u8 extension, but shouldn’t the .m3u extension imply the file is *not* UTF-8 encoded and assume ISO encoding?

Solved: turns out the faulty playlist was created by MP3Tag and was written out using ISO encoding when the Fuze wants playlists as UTF-8.  I will no longer recommend using MP3Tag for playlist generation (unless all of the titles conform to 7-bit ASCII (English) characters).