Photos on micoSD produce..."Unsupported Media Format"

New Fuze…10/17/09

Firmware Version: V02.02.26A

Installed 60 pictures on a new micoSD…installed it into the new Fuse, the Menu shows " (1) Photos A-Z (2) View Thumbnails (3) Go To List  (in this section all the pix titles do show but will not produce a picture, just the erroe message Unsupportes Media Format)

Menu > Photos A-Z > Fuse Photos or Unknown

Unknown is an an option, which doesn’t seem right either…click on that and only 4 of the 60 thumbnails show…

All are simply j-pegs and all show just fine when viewed on the computer…

Those 4 load and show perfectly…in place of all the others " Unsupported Media Format"

Suggestions…??

Message Edited by Alaskan on 10-18-2009 06:48 PM

Message Edited by Alaskan on 10-18-2009 06:49 PM

Message Edited by Alaskan on 10-18-2009 06:51 PM

Unfortunately, all photos need to go through the Sansa Media Converter.

You can’t just drag and drop them. And the Media Converter is, shall we say, not perfect. But the Sansa is not your computer–it has a tiny processor and a little screen, and SMC converts your photos to suit it. 

Thanks…I’ll look into that

Funny…I took the micoSD out of my JVC HD video camera, installed it into the Fuze and not only did the Fuze recognize the camera and model, it shows all the pictures perfectly…

However…it didn’t like the JVC video codex

@black_rectangle wrote:

You can’t just drag and drop them. And the Media Converter is, shall we say, not perfect. But the Sansa is not your computer–it has a tiny processor and a little screen, and SMC converts your photos to suit it. 

This isn’t exactly true. You can drag & drop photos without the bother of SMC. SMC will reduce the size of the image and convert the format to .bmp to save memory space, but as we all know, .jpg’s are a supported format too. That’s the format of added album art.

So when using the .jpg format, make sure that they are regular 'ol white-bread .jpg format; no progressive or JPG 2000 nonsense. Also you might consider re-sizing the image yourself. With a view screen size of 224 x 176 pixels, there’s no logical reason to store a photo at 2576 x 1932. Besides takinig up way more memory than needed and possible choking the Fuze in it’s attempt to display it, trying to compress this large an image is going to result in a very grainy looking picture on the Fuze’s tiny screen.

I’d save them in a size similar to my album art in the 150 - 300 pixels range.

@black_rectangle wrote:

This isn’t exactly true. You can drag & drop photos without the bother of SMC. SMC will reduce the size of the image and convert the format to .bmp to save memory space, but as we all know, .jpg’s are a supported format too. That’s the format of added album art.

So when using the .jpg format, make sure that they are regular 'ol white-bread .jpg format; no progressive or JPG 2000 nonsense. Also you might consider re-sizing the image yourself. With a view screen size of 224 x 176 pixels, there’s no logical reason to store a photo at 2576 x 1932. Besides takinig up way more memory than needed and possible choking the Fuze in it’s attempt to display it, trying to compress this large an image is going to result in a very grainy looking picture on the Fuze’s tiny screen.

I’d save them in a size similar to my album art in the 150 - 300 pixels range.

Interesting…thanks-a-alot

I’ll experiment with resizing prior to uploding to see if that is the problem…

Oh yeah . . . MSC mode is recommended too. :wink:

Please explain that…

I read through the online manual… not explain very well the USB vs. MSC vs. MTP    ?

http://www.sansacommunity.com/downloads/file/11/FUZE\_UM\_0608\_ENG.pdf

Simple fix…it was indeed a size related issue

I ran them through IRFanview, resized them to 350x262 jpegs and reloaded them to my Fuze and they all show just fine

IRFanview…very cool free photo tool…I suppose the Sansa Media Converter mentioed above will do the same thing

Thanks-a-lot guys  !

@alaskan wrote:

I read through the online manual… not explain very well the USB vs. MSC vs. MTP    ?

You’re right, tha manual IS a bit sketchy on a lot of subjects. Try this FAQ:

What is MTP and MSC mode, and how do I change it?

@alaskan wrote:

You’re right, tha manual IS a bit sketchy on a lot of subjects. Try this FAQ:

Glad to hear you were able to sort out the photo issue. :smiley:

@alaskan wrote:

You’re right, the manual IS a bit sketchy on a lot of subjects. Try this FAQ:

Glad to hear you were able to sort out the photo issue. :smiley:

What is the benefit or nescessity of changing that setting to MSC  ?

I have not changed it…but its working fine

Message Edited by Alaskan on 10-19-2009 06:22 PM

No need to change anything if it is working for you.

The important thing is that your computer can only see one mode at a time: MSC or MTP. Files transferred in the other mode will not appear in My Computer (or Computer in Vista). So since you’ve been using MTP, keep using it so everything stays visible. 

MTP allows Windows Media Player to control the unit. WMP has a lot of automated default settings that have proved troublesome to people–like its default Auto-Sync that tries to dump everything in the computer’s Windows Media Player library onto the Fuze. But you may have a WMP that’s older than version 10 (needed for MTP connection), you may have changed your defaults, etc. Anyway, if MTP works, use it. 

Personally I have no love for WMPlayer, so I do everything in MSC.  Different strokes etc. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 10-19-2009 11:23 PM

Thanks-a-lot Tw & BR…  great help  !

All your help/instructions leads me to ADD that I was downloading all these pictures directly to a new microSD card…to then be used in my new Fuze…rather than directly to the Fuze itself.  So the MSC setting was probably not important anyway, correct  ?

In addition…that allowed me to bypass the Windows Media crappolla, and the Sandisk Media Converter…I’m with you, I’m not a fan of anything related to MS

I suspect the SanDisk Media Converter does nothing more than what I accomplished using IRFanview…size reduction, resolution reduction and making sure its a simply JPEG format…correct  ???