PC recognizes one Fuze, but not the other

My partner and I recently bought 2 identical Fuzes (both 4 GB). We also have 2 new (identical) computers.  Until yesterday, everything was working fine.

Both computers are running Windows XP, with WMP 11 installed.

As of today:

a) both Fuzes work fine on my computer (I can read either Fuze, in either mode, on either cable, on any USB port).

b) MY Fuze works fine on her computer (it recognized my Fuze and I can use it in either mode, with either cable, on any USB port)

BUT…

c)  her computer will NOT recognize her Fuze in MTP mode no matter using either cable, in any USB port. 

Out of desperation, I even went so far as to reformat her Fuze, uninstall and refresh the device driver, reboot, etc etc etc.

I’m completely out of ideas. Why would her computer recognize MY Fuze but not hers, particularly when my computer recognizes both? 

I’ve searched throughout the forums and although there appear to be many problems getting a computer to recognize a device, I haven’t found anything that works in this situation. 

Can anyone think of anything else for me to try?

Is each of you logged in as Administrator on the respective computers?

Switch to MSC mode, which is simpler, and that should work. Does it? 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 09-25-2009 12:24 AM

@black_rectangle wrote:

Is each of you logged in as Administrator on the respective computers?

---- Yes, we are

Switch to MSC mode, which is simpler, and that should work. Does it? 

---- Yes, it does work in MSC mode, but I was under the impression that it was best to connect in MTP mode, especially if we need to use Sansa Media Converter to convert video. Can that be done in MSC? 

I’d still like to figure out why it doesn’t work properly, though. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 09-25-2009 12:24 AM

In a pinch you can use Media Converter in MSC mode, though it’s supposed to work better via MTP.

MTP mode is only necessary for files with DRM information, and of course it’s useful  if your preferred music library and interface is Windows Media Player. MSC is more direct and won’t do weird things like changing filenames or auto-synching–it just makes the Fuze work like a thumb drive. I do everything in MSC–it’s more transparent.

Your computer can only see files that were transferred in one or the other mode–not both at once, though the Fuze itself doesn’t care how they got there. So if you do switch to MSC, it’s probably better for your sanity to take off the MTP files and return them to the Fuze via MSC. 

Windows Media Player is just plain temperamental and defies human understanding. If you’ve connected any other MTP device to the USB port it might be jealous and throwing a hissy fit. Or maybe it woke up on the wrong side of the soundcard one morning.

Since you have XP, you can uninstall WMP–why don’t you do that and try WMP 10? Sometimes simply reinstalling WMP 11  helps too. Why? Ask Bill Gates.

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 09-27-2009 02:11 PM

He won’t tell you the reason behind it , I’m sure. That’s how he got rich isn’t it?

Black-Rectangle —

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I’ll try them all (although I almost fell off my chair because, when you said “reinstall it” I thought you meant Windows XP!! … whew!)  I’m not overly concerned since she can walk across the room and work on my computer if she wants to, but it’s just such a puzzle that I *have* to at least try to figure it out. 

I’m marking this thread "solved"but I’ll be sure to come back and update is as soon as I figure out which of your ideas worked for me.

By the way, I love your technical analysis that SMC “might be jealous and throwing a hissy fit.”  Now, that’s geek talk I can understand!

Again … my thanks for your help (and my partner thanks you too!)

Barbara

@black_rectangle wrote:

In a pinch you can use Media Converter in MSC mode, though it’s supposed to work better via MTP.

MTP mode is only necessary for files with DRM information, and of course it’s useful  if your preferred music library and interface is Windows Media Player. MSC is more direct and won’t do weird things like changing filenames or auto-synching–it just makes the Fuze work like a thumb drive. I do everything in MSC–it’s more transparent.

Your computer can only see files that were transferred in one or the other mode–not both at once, though the Fuze itself doesn’t care how they got there. So if you do switch to MSC, it’s probably better for your sanity to take off the MTP files and return them to the Fuze via MSC. 

Windows Media Player is just plain temperamental and defies human understanding. If you’ve connected any other MTP device to the USB port it might be jealous and throwing a hissy fit. Or maybe it woke up on the wrong side of the soundcard one morning.

Since you have XP, you can uninstall it–why don’t you do that and try WMP 10? Sometimes simply reinstalling WMP 11  helps too. Why? Ask Bill Gates.

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 09-25-2009 10:26 AM

@luke2007 wrote:
He won’t tell you the reason behind it , I’m sure. That’s how he got rich isn’t it?

Chances are, he doesn’t know either<G>   I remember reading about a big trade convention he appeared at to debut one of the Windows versions. He was surrounded by his technical staff and when the dramatic unveiling moment arrived … none of them could get the computer to work!

But for all his faults, I still feel indebted to Gates and Microsoft. I started out my computing life on a Kaypro (a Pre-PC machine that ran an early competitor to DOS) and every day when I get behind my keyboard, I marvel at how far we’ve come.