One hour to refresh

I have asked about this before and still don’t get it. I have a 16g and 8g card with what says to be 280 hours of music. I decided to press reformat and then it went into refresh mode and I am waiting an hour again. All my songs are in 128kbps. Why does it take so long? And what am I refreshing?

If you had a lot of files on the card before formatting, you still have a lot of files on the card. The “format” command in the Fuze menu only formats the internal storage, not the card.

When it says “refreshing database”, it’s building an index of all the files in the player, both in internal storage and on the card. It has to do this every time you format, change the contents of the internal storage, or insert a card (even if you’ve inserted the same card before with the same files). If there are a lot of files, the refresh can take a long time.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 08-23-2009 11:12 PM

So now I left it on sync and went to bed and in the morning it had only synced half of my songs. Very slow sync going on. I have no idea what to change in settings?

What are you using to synch files?

Windows Media Player

If you ripped your songs from CD with the default WMP settings, it creates protected files. Protected files takes significantly longer to sync because WMP has to transfer the file licenses along with the files, in addition to WMP just being generally slower than drag-and-drop.

Very few of them are protected files, maybe 100 or so. There are 4,000 files so how can you drag 4,000 files, is there a way to do it?

I’ll give you a number for reference: the expected time to “refreshing your media” with 4000 audio files is about 6 minutes. This applies to firmware v01.02.26. Note that this covers the database rebuild on the Fuze once disconnected from pc.

An the other hand, if you are looking for the time needed to copy music from pc to the Fuze, you can expect a transfer rate of about 4MB/s (which is 4 minutes per 1GB). The is valid for a copy to the Fuze’s internal flash storage on MSC USB connection mode (limited to non-DRM files).

Why even bother with crappy WMP when drag and drop is so, so easy?

I am still trying to get an answer to the question of can you drag and drop 4,000 songs all at once or do you do it one song at a time.  My music is in “My Recordings” can I drag and drop from that? without going from WMP?

Message Edited by siclmn on 08-26-2009 10:02 PM

@siclmn wrote:
I am still trying to get an answer to the question of can you drag and drop 4,000 songs all at once or do you do it one song at a time.  My music is in “My Recordings” can I drag and drop from that? without going from WMP?
Message Edited by siclmn on 08-26-2009 10:02 PM

Sure! You can copy entire folders into the MUSIC folder on the Fuze. This way you could even organize things

into nested folders. Everything (music files you are going to listen to) just needs to be somewhere under MUSIC.

Only thing to watch out is your music files tags. They must be in a format the Fuze recognizes. If you encounter problems with files beeing skiped, not found or other issues then it is a good idea to transfer your files in smaller chunks. Otherwise it might be hard to find the offending file(s).

@siclmn wrote:

I don’t know if I would try copying all 4,000 files in one fell swoop. Remember, the success (or failure) of this is going to depend on how much RAM your computer has to temporarily store this information while it’s writing it to the player’s memory.

I’d probably break it up into more manageable ‘bites’ for your player to digest. Even so, this shouldn’t take a great deal of time on your part. Highlight some folders, drag & drop, sit back & play a game of Solitare or walk away & do something else for the time it’s going to take to copy them over.

Come back when it’s done with that batch . . . lather, rinse & repeat. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@siclmn wrote:

I don’t know if I would try copying all 4,000 files in one fell swoop. Remember, the success (or failure) of this is going to depend on how much RAM your computer has to temporarily store this information while it’s writing it to the player’s memory.

I’d probably break it up into more manageable ‘bites’ for your player to digest. Even so, this shouldn’t take a great deal of time on your part. Highlight some folders, drag & drop, sit back & play a game of Solitare or walk away & do something else for the time it’s going to take to copy them over.

Come back when it’s done with that batch . . . lather, rinse & repeat. :wink:

Tapeworm, I don’t get your first point. If I do a copy of about 8000 files (3.5 GB) to the fuze, then the copy process takes about 4MB of RAM - almost nothing! Of course all RAM not allocated by any running application is used as filesystem cache. But this has no impact on the copy proces, in particular it is not related to success or failure of such operations. I must confess these numbers are taken from my linux box but I would be very surprised if it is much different on windows if you copy a folder as a whole.

Am I wrong?

Nevertheless I agree on your second point. I’d go for smaller chunks too. The only reason to go for >1000 files in one single shot is probably to restore the fuze’s content from a backup which you know is working properly (e.g. having ‘good’ tags).

Message Edited by ewelot on 08-29-2009 10:56 PM

Ok, I did 3,000 songs at once and no problem. It took less then an hour. But the refresh took an hour as usual. Very little album art was transfered but I could care less about that.

@ewelot wrote:

Tapeworm, I don’t get your first point. If I do a copy of about 8000 files (3.5 GB) to the fuze, then the copy process takes about 4MB of RAM - almost nothing! Of course all RAM not allocated by any running application is used as filesystem cache. But this has no impact on the copy proces, in particular it is not related to success or failure of such operations. I must confess these numbers are taken from my linux box but I would be very surprised if it is much different on windows if you copy a folder as a whole.

Am I wrong?

Sadly, I have an inferior Windows machine so I wouldn’t have access to those figures like you Linux guys. :stuck_out_tongue:

Regardless, I’d still do a few hundred at a time.

@siclmn wrote:
Ok, I did 3,000 songs at once and no problem. It took less then an hour. But the refresh took an hour as usual. Very little album art was transfered but I could care less about that.

One hour refresh time is definitely not satisfiying. Please check if you run the latest firmware (x.02.26). The refresh time has been improved with respect to former firmware versions. If you already run the latest firmware you should consider to reinstall it and reformat the players flash storage (after backing up your data). See here or search the forum for many related threads.