Not enough space for music DB. Please free 90 MB

I got a 2GB Fuze last week and proceeded to update the firmware and put enough music on the internal memory to leave only 1 MB unused. Here are my particulars

Windows XP SP3

Windows Media Player 11

latest firmware version (but I can’t get the player to stay on tell me the version number - read on)

I got a 4 GB uSD card to expand the player. I connected to the player and and almost filled the card. I disconnected and used the player for a day. When I connected the player a third time, my computer some how switched the player to MSC mode (it had defaulted to MTP mode originally). WMP did not find any music on the internal memory (presumably since the music was added while the player was in MTP mode). Using Windows explorer and looking for the files in the music folder on the internal memory showed that the internal memory contained 1.88 GB of files, but none were visible. When I disconnected the Fuze and tried to start it up I got (get) the error message in the title and then the Fuze shuts down. Is there a way to get the player back into MTP mode so that I can access the music and use the player? Or should I just reformat the internal memory and set the player to always run in MSC mode? Thanks. 

In SETTINGS > SYSTEM SETTINGS > USB MODE you can switch from MTP to MSC, or vice-versa. There is also a AUTO-DEFECT setting (which I don’t recommend for obvious reasons). Use one or the other. Auto will default to MTP is possible; but if not connect in MSC. This, as you’ve found out can lead to confusion.

Files put on in one mode are not visible or accessable in the other. That’s why you’re not seeing them.

The error meesage and solution are detailed in the FAQ. The numbers may be different as this FAQ is on the e200 board, but the cause & fix are the same. Check for errors and/or Format the device. There are many problems addressed here that also affect the Fuze.

Thanks for the quick response. However, I cannot access the Fuze’s settings until I can get the player to stay on. I went ahead and reformatted the drive. With only 1.88 GB of usable space it was easy to add the music back onto the internal memory. I was conflicted about which format setting to use - FAT or FAT32, but since the drive was being read as FAT I used FAT (on another thread a poster suggested using FAT32).

The player was set in MSC mode (not auto).

It needs to be FAT32! Now that you’ve done it in Windows, format it again using the on-board Format function in the SETTINGS menu. Not only will it format itself in the correct file system (FAT32), but it will allocate 32kb clusters instead of the minscule 4kb clusters Windows uses. Much better (& faster). :wink:

It should be FAT32, although with only 2GB FAT may be OK. But now that you’ve done it in Windows, format it again using the on-board Format function in the SETTINGS menu on the Fuze. Not only will it format itself in the correct file system (FAT32), but it will allocate 32kb clusters instead of the minscule 4kb clusters Windows uses. Much better (& faster). :wink:

This question is asked quite frequently, I will be adding it to the FAQ thread later tonight.

The answer is to format the Fuze, the database of the song tags has been corrupt and can’t be “updated”… I think… if you had read the FAQ thread you would not have asked this question becuase it is asked so frequently.

I read the FAQ as well as other threads of people who have encountered the same problem. However, my two main questions were not answered in either place

1. Can you get the Fuze working again WITHOUT having to reformat the internal memory? - the answer is no

2. What formatting should be used (FAT or FAT32) when you reformat the internal memory? - FAT32 

If both of those questions had been in the FAQ (and Tapeworn is adding them soon), I wouldn’t have needed to post. 

@joeinde wrote:

I read the FAQ as well as other threads of people who have encountered the same problem. However, my two main questions were not answered in either place

1. Can you get the Fuze working again WITHOUT having to reformat the internal memory? - the answer is no
  1. What formatting should be used (FAT or FAT32) when you reformat the internal memory? - FAT32 

If both of those questions had been in the FAQ (and Tapeworn is adding them soon), I wouldn’t have needed to post. 

1. Sorry I have seen the question too many times and skipped reading the entire post. That was entirely me fault, I do try and avoid that but hey I’m human.
  2. You don’t format the internal memory using Windows, use the option on the Fuze to do that. It does not have any options (FAT, FAT32 etc) just a confirmation.
    I would suggest in any future formating of the Fuze use the internal thingy.

So Joe . . . is your Fuze up & running again?

I am having the same problem…but my Fuze won’t stay on…and when I plug it to my computer and open it all of my folders are empty…and it shows that the memory is full…could you help me?

@trisigma wrote:
I am having the same problem…but my Fuze won’t stay on…and when I plug it to my computer and open it all of my folders are empty…and it shows that the memory is full…could you help me?

It could be that your Fuze is connected in the opposite USB mode than the music was put on in. Music put on in MTP cannot be seen or accessed on the computer whitle connected in MSC mode, And vice-versa.

Are you saying your Fuze displays the “Not enough space for music DB. Please free 90 MB” error msg. when you turn it on, and then it shuts down?

If so, and you can successfully connect it to your computer (and it stays on), how is your player identified in Windows Explorer (or My Computer)?

In MTP mode, it will show up under Other and the icon will be a little picture of the Fuze.

In MSC mode, it will be under Devices With Removable Storage, and there will be 2 additional & separate drive letters, signifying the player’s internal memory and the external memory card slot (whether there’s a card inserted or not).

If you’re in MSC mode, you can run run ChkDsk and/or format as described in the FAQ linked to in one of the above posts.

If you are in MTP mode, un-plug from the computer and let it shut off. Now, slide the power switch on the side down to the LOCKED or HOLD position. Now press & hold the REW |<< button while at the same time, plugging the cable into the bottom of the unit. It should fire up and connect to the computer in MSC mode now.

Caution: Formatting will erase all content you’ve put onto the player, so make sure these files are backed-up before ‘pulling the Format trigger’. :wink:

I found an easy solution when it happened to me.  Connect it to a computer  and delete the file mtable.sys in the root directory.  When I disconnected it did a refresh and made a new mtable.sys.

I am having the same problem, with the added issue of not having a PC, only a Mac. When I plug it in, I am only able to see some of the music on there. I know this means I must have added some music in one mode, and some in another mode and can’t view the songs in the other mode, but now it says there is not enough space and I need to free 90MB. I can’t do anything to change the settings, and I can’t do most of the other suggestions because I’m using a Mac. I tried deleting mtable.sys, and nothing changed. Help?

I contacted SanDisk and was told in order to solve this problem, I have to format the drive which will erase everything from it. I would like to be able to see what’s on there first though, to make sure all those songs are backed up. I put some random songs on there at one point and want to be able to put the same ones back. Is there any way I can see all the music I have on there? Would it help if I plugged it into a Windows computer?

Yes, use a Windows computer. Go to Settings/System Settings USB and put it on MTP and connect to a Windows computer with Windows Media Player 10 or above.

I tried connecting it to a Windows computer and it showed the exact same files as when it was connected to Mac. The player wouldn’t turn on at all, only display that error message then turn itself off, so changing the settings was not an option. I wound up formatting it. I was never able to see the names of the songs i had on there unfortunately. Thanks for your help though.