New Sansa Fan, but

I was needing a new mp3 player, but I wanted to try something different other than Sony. I was pleasantly surpised after loading my prior collection to my Fuze 8gb with additional 2gb micro. Yes, it does not fit the Apple or Sony image, but is a solid competitor, but, after updates, I am still left with two major issues.

1.) Random play of all tracks feels… well… not so random! I have found myself advancing the tracks myself to keep things fresh. My player will still hit the same combination of tracks for the first 20ish songs before I hear an order that is not so familiar. I realize there is some subjective reasoning going on, but there is so many times a person can listen to the same 4 Bjork songs before expecting something different. I do have a lot of mix tracks of atleast an hour in lenght… maybe that has something to do with it.

2.) While I have come to appreciate precise sounding music, my Fuze produces too clean and precise of a sound, or rather flat. No matter how many times I use the equilizer, the sound does not feel as dynamic as it should with an equilizer. The “thump” of the bass never reaches that “thump” level when compared to my past Sony walkman players. While I am happy with the many features the Fuze has, this was a major let down as my many mix tracks do not have the same bounce as they would even on my phone’s walkman player.

Keep up the good work Sansa.

@mrradicaled wrote:

I was needing a new mp3 player, but I wanted to try something different other than Sony. I was pleasantly surpised after loading my prior collection to my Fuze 8gb with additional 2gb micro. Yes, it does not fit the Apple or Sony image, but is a solid competitor, but, after updates, I am still left with two major issues.

1.) Random play of all tracks feels… well… not so random! I have found myself advancing the tracks myself to keep things fresh. My player will still hit the same combination of tracks for the first 20ish songs before I hear an order that is not so familiar. I realize there is some subjective reasoning going on, but there is so many times a person can listen to the same 4 Bjork songs before expecting something different. I do have a lot of mix tracks of atleast an hour in lenght… maybe that has something to do with it.

2.) While I have come to appreciate precise sounding music, my Fuze produces too clean and precise of a sound, or rather flat. No matter how many times I use the equilizer, the sound does not feel as dynamic as it should with an equilizer. The “thump” of the bass never reaches that “thump” level when compared to my past Sony walkman players. While I am happy with the many features the Fuze has, this was a major let down as my many mix tracks do not have the same bounce as they would even on my phone’s walkman player.

Keep up the good work Sansa.

The EQ really isn’t very good. It’s only worth using if your headphones need one. The best quality sound out of the Fuze(and Clip) is with the EQ on Normal. I’ve used the EQ on some lower-range headphones, and gotted halfway-decent sound, but once I got better headphones that didn’t need EQ, the other ones have collected dust.With my PX100’s, there’s all the bass I need. And my Grados give me the cleaner sound, for reference listening in a quiet room.

I am using the same isolation earbuds I have had with my other Sony walkman. In that setting, I was able to appreciate the bass(or reproduction/enhancement) in my songs, but using the same earbuds with the Fuze, the sound is pretty flat… maybe if Sansa created their own version of a dynamic bass boost or something…

Sansa, please… implement your version of DBB.

The goal of a player should be precise reproduction of sound. The Sony may have been artificially boosting the bass in ways the Sansa does not.  But if you are really a bass head you should be able to crank it up on the Fuze, too. 

What IEMs are you using? Much as I love isolation phones, they are not usually great for bass. 

DS EX-29

but I mostly use these JVC marshmallow earbud things that are nice too.

I understand precise sound replication, but when I listen to my tracks on my Klipsch home system I do not expect the same sound out of my headphones or earbuds, but I prefer to have my bass kick as much as my headphones will allow.

Try the JVC Aircushions. They crank out better bass and only cost a little more than marshmallows.

And,  they dont fall out of your ears.

KOSS The Plug’s. They go down to 18Hz and they do it oh so very well. < $20 at the right place. If they are too bright, put a peice of tape on the back to cover the air holes, and then poke a single hole through the tape (and through the air hole). I use EQ settings of 5 4 0 0 -1.

@sansafix wrote:

Try the JVC Aircushions. They crank out better bass and only cost a little more than marshmallows.

And,  they dont fall out of your ears.

I definitely agree with sansafix.  The Air Cushions run about $25 online.

Amazon has 'em for $18 and change.

Agree it’s your headphones. I heard no bass in the first set of headphones I used. Then I tried my nice Plantronic PC headphones and was blown away by the bass.