New Fuze doesn't show menu or Drive letter

Hello! I just bought a new Fuze.  It’s fully charged.  First all, when I turn it own the screen lights up but it’s blank. The blue light around the wheel lights up.  My computer (XP sp2) shows Sansa in the windows explorer, but not a Letter Drive.  I can add things to the internal memory in the appropriate folders.  I’ve tried to reset it numerous times.  When I try to download the firmwear update installer it acts like it’s adding to my computer but at the last second it give an error and says to try back later.  Any one got any ideas? Please help!

Elaine

Follow the instructions in the firest post in the Sansa Fuze Firmware Update to do a manual update of the firmware. This may help.

Hello, this won’t work because I have no screen to look at and no drive letter to manually add a new version of software to.   The only thing I can see is where music, etc is added and that won’t let me add a .bin file.  Any other ideas?  It seems like it needs to be reformatted but there is no way to do that.

Elaine 

Sorry forgot you need to force it into msc mode. This is done by pushing the power switch to Lock and holding down the |<< (left side of wheel) while you connect to the computer. You should get a drive letter if this works.

Yes!! it did it, finally. Now what?  Sorry I am so dense!  But I’ve been messing with this for hours and I am frazzled.  I downloaded both of those versions of firmware. When I unzip them they both have a .bin file.  Now what?

Elaine

@elaine1959 wrote:

Yes!! it did it, finally. Now what?  Sorry I am so dense!  But I’ve been messing with this for hours and I am frazzled.  I downloaded both of those versions of firmware. When I unzip them they both have a .bin file.  Now what?

Elaine

You dont know whether you have a V1, or a V2 fuze right? Try the V1 firmware, right click on it> copy, then go to my computer, and open the fuze, then right click and paste in any blank space.  If nothing changes then try the same instructions with the V2 firmware. If there is still no change use Windows to format the player, and see if that helps.

Ok, I tried both versions.  Nothing happened.  Still have a white screen.  It’s like it’s own but nothing is there.  What did you mean about using Windows to format?

E.

plug the fuze in the same way you did before. then in my computer, right click on it, then choose format, and run that. It will erase everything off the fuze except the firmware. Then unplug and see what happens.

Ok, I did that, and it erased EVERYTHING.

E.

Ok wait, everything is back, but still nothing but a white screen. ARG!!!

E.

Take it back tomorrow and get another one. YOu got one that is defective or was hurt in shipping.

Now I also have an additional letter drive…everything is (and was) under E Drive.  Now I also have an F Drive. But it doens’t do anything.  is that good?

E.

@elaine1959 wrote:

Now I also have an additional letter drive…everything is (and was) under E Drive.  Now I also have an F Drive. But it doens’t do anything.  is that good?

E.

Do you have a card inserted? If not I would recomendyou restart your computer. but as I said before its defective. The place you bought it should give you a new one no problem.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.  Naturally I ordered this online (ANTOline.com) and I don’t think I can return it.

Elaine

@elaine1959 wrote:

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.  Naturally I ordered this online (ANTOline.com) and I don’t think I can return it.

Elaine

Then Call SanDisk. you have a 1 year warranty and the WILL replace it. They may ask you to send them pics of the screen to verify your problem but they should replace it.