New Fuze Owner!

Hi All!

First of I want to thank Sansa for the new firmware update release, in doing so you answered my biggest problem with the player, the one that almost had me not buying. That improvement is the addition of the folder/file view option. Many thanks for this!

I literally got the the player today in the mail at 5:00pm, and the firmware was available at 8:00pm when I got home from my walk to try out the new player. Thats what I call service. Originally I had a black 4gb model on order at Amazon, but it had been on back order for a couple of weeks now. While on the net this weekend I noticed on that someone had posted that NewEgg had the silver 8gb’s (refurbs) on sale for the same price I had paid for the one at Amazon. Cancelled the order at Amazon and bought the one from NewEgg, the rest is history.

My initial impressions:

• The other players that I own are Cowon & iRiver, so in comparison to those I find that the fuze is light on gain, you have to turn it up a quite a bit to get any volume on my easy to drive KOSS Sportspro headphones. Not sure I like this aspect so much, got to turn classical music up pretty high to get a reasonable volume.

• In terms of sound quality, it too is different than either of my other two players. Not better, not really worse. I would best describe it as being dryer and more analytical, it will take a little getting use to, but I’m sure as time goes by I’ll adjust, along with adjusting the EQ some.

• I really wanted a black player, but now that I have the silver one there are no regrets. The photos on the web don’t do the silver one any justice, the silver is great looking in real life. In fact I wouldn’t describe it so much as silver, but more as a pewter color, it’s quite attractive.

• Also like the the radio reception is great, and that it is possible to record, that will come in handy.

Well that’s all for now,

happy listening,

Augustwest

Welcome to our Sansa crew!  You’ll find that the Fuze is an amazing little device.

As a die hard classical fan, go to the Custom EQ and select Jazz.  “Classical” has too much attenuation for my tastes, as you’ll see.  The Jazz setting is perfect, much better than “normal”, which is actually the same as “EQ off”.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@augustwest wrote:
Hi All!

<snip>

My initial impressions:

• The other players that I own are Cowon & iRiver, so in comparison to those I find that the fuze is light on gain, you have to turn it up a quite a bit to get any volume on my easy to drive KOSS Sportspro headphones. Not sure I like this aspect so much, got to turn classical music up pretty high to get a reasonable volume.

<snip>

Augustwest

Did you do Settings->System Settings->Volume = High?

“As a die hard classical fan, go to the Custom EQ and select Jazz. “Classical” has too much attenuation for my tastes, as you’ll see. The Jazz setting is perfect, much better than “normal”, which is actually the same as “EQ off”.”

• Yes, I’ve already discovered that the “jazz” setting seems to be the best all around one, also have played a bit with the “custom” EQ settings. Still haven’t found exactly what I want, so it’s still a work in progress.

“Did you do Settings->System Settings->Volume = High?”

• Yes, I’ve been using it on the “high” setting, and still find the gain somewhat low, especailly for Classical Music.

Thanks,

• Augustwest

Your new Fuze can now apply the benefits of ReplayGain too.  For details, check this thread.  If the recording matches the live performance, the dynamic range of classical (I spent several years enjoying performances both in the orchestra level and dead-center at the first tier, now how cool is that?) means that the average level is lower than “pop music”.

You can adjust the gain to bring the average level up a bit.

Greetings!

I too am a new Fuze owner (one for me, one for the wife) and I love it so far.  I followed all instructions and was quickly able to download songs from Rhapsody.  I do have one problem though and I have tried to follow the rules of this board by reading the users manual first, looking through the posts to see if my question has already been answered, etc.  However I am very electronically and computer challenged and though I’m sure my question has been answered on this board I can’t find it right now.  I hope someone can answer my question or point me to the right place to get the answer.

As I chose the songs from Rhapsody to download, I chose them for both Fuze’s in the order I wanted the songs on the players but when the songs were transferred they were downloaded in alphabetical order.  I simply wanted to take the list I made and transfer it over.  The shuffle mode is off on my Fuze.  What should I be doing to transfer the songs in the order I want?

Thanks for any help y’all can offer me!!!

I own two 4GB Fuzes, one’s dead, and one works perfectly. I haven’t tried the micro SDHC cards yet, but I am pretty excited to get one, seeing that it will make my Fuze even bigger!

WILL ONLY WORK WITH MTP MODE (OR AUTODETECT WITH MTP)

Hi Joeyno!  Welcome to the forums.  What you want to do is go into Rhapsody and click on the “Playlists” tab.  (It is right below the “My Library”, “My Channels”, “Rhapsody Music Guide” buttons.)  Now start dragging the songs you want over into that pane.  (After the first one, the playlist name will be named the first song.  You can change this so that it is what you want.)  Go back to “My Library” and continue to drag songs over to that list name and plug in your Fuze.  (If you use this process, I recommend the default auto detect, or MTP modes)  When you are satisfied with your songs, click on the playlist and you can drag them up and down until you get the desired order.  Now, under the “Sources” pane, you should see something in bold font that says Sansa Fuze.  Drag the playlist over to your Fuze and ta-da!  The playlist will appear under playlists on your Fuze.

Thanks XC Fan!  I appreciate the info and I’m looking forward to trying this.  When I first added songs I picked the ones I wanted, dragged them to the “Mixer” list, then moved them to "My Library and transferred them to my Fuze.  I saved them in the playlist I created.  I have no idea what the default setting is but I’ll try to find this and change it to what you have recommended.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Joeyno

Hey XC Fan:

I told you I am very challenged at this stuff.  I followed your directions (and the Rhapsody instructions).  Here’s where I’m stuck:  where is the default setting you suggested?  I can’t fnd any default settings to change.  Also, I loaded my songs into “My Library” but no matter how I click on them I can’t seem to change them to my desired order.  What am I doing wrong?  Help!!!

Thanks for taking the time to sort this out for me.

Joeyno

With the latest builds of the Rhapsody 4 client, playlists and Rhapsody Channels are treated as subfolders under your Sansa.  If you generate a playlist using the “Mixer” in the lower left corner, select the Playlist tab to start a drag and drop session.

Then expand your Sansa in the Sources pane, and drop the playlists (named as you desire) into the Playlists position on the tree.

If you have music on your computer, you can easily generate playlists within Windows Media Player if desired, simply look for the Playlists option in the upper left.  After clicking on the Sync tab, note that it will refer to “playlists” in the pane at the right side.

If you’re in MTP mode, using Windows Explorer, there is a very handy trick.  Simply right click and start a playlist from your music files.  The box that opens is where you start dragging and dropping your desired tracks.  Note that, in this mode, the songs are not actually going into the box!  It’s just populating a list of the titles for playback, stasrting with the first song you right clicked on.

Oh, and the ORDER of your list can also be changed by highlighting the desired track, and using the arrow keys at the bottom of the box.

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 04-14-2009 06:46 AM