New Fuze - No software disk?

I sent my sister a Fuze cause i love my “sansa view” so much, but she didn’t get a disk with software. i have rhapsody. should she have gotten something? or can we download anything? i am doing the troubleshooting by phone and she isn’t the best at computers so any help or suggestions would be great! arghhhh… ha-ha

thanks,

banjonancy

forgot to mention that the player is plugged in and says “connected” on the fuze, but it is not showing up on her “my computer” in explorer. i guess you can make playlists in windows media and use that soomehow? i have never used anything but rhapsody and hate it really. what is the best program to organize and transfer files ot the player?

thanks for ANY help!

and merry christmas!

Why do you need any software for Sansa Fuze?

Just connect Sansa to your computer and copy music files to Sansa, Or

You can use Windows Media Player to sync music to Sansa. Windows Media Player should be always available on Windows machine. Just make sure you get the most udpated version.

For music subscription, you can search internet, there are a lot of services: Amazon, Bestbuy, Rhaposdy, Napster, etc.

@banjonancy wrote:

I sent my sister a Fuze cause i love my “sansa view” so much, but she didn’t get a disk with software. i have rhapsody. should she have gotten something? or can we download anything? i am doing the troubleshooting by phone and she isn’t the best at computers so any help or suggestions would be great! arghhhh… ha-ha

thanks,

banjonancy

If you are on Windows Machine, Windows Media Player is the best to organize and transfer files.

I assume that you are on Windows machine. You should see Sansa as a Portable Player at the bottom of “My Computer” Page; if not, make sure that your Sansa use “MTP” mode and connect it again.

@banjonancy wrote:

forgot to mention that the player is plugged in and says “connected” on the fuze, but it is not showing up on her “my computer” in explorer. i guess you can make playlists in windows media and use that soomehow? i have never used anything but rhapsody and hate it really. what is the best program to organize and transfer files ot the player?

thanks for ANY help!

and merry christmas!

@kevin02454 wrote:

If you are on Windows Machine, Windows Media Player is the best to organize and transfer files.

Sorry, but I have to dis-agree with this statement! Windows Media Player has got to be  THE most cantankerous, discombobulated, archaic source of frustration for every person new to mp3 players ever designed! I’ll bet at least 20% of all posts requesting help here result from people either not understanding how WMP works, or trying to ‘sync’ their players with WMP, to say nothing of the numerous ‘duplicate’ copies of songs it likes to sneak in there and songs ‘disappearing’ from their players because WMP decided to erase them!

That’s why most people who have been using these devices for any length of time use another media player such as Media Monkey or Winamp. And except for ripping your own CD’s, you don’t even need to use it at all, unless you got suckered into Rhapsody’s 30 day free trial or Napster or something else that requires you to use MTP mode because of the DRM-crippling it imposes, essentially forcing you to ‘rent’ their music and paying many times more than it’s worth month after month after month.

All you need to do is drag & drop music files from your computer to your player, bypassing WMP altogether. “So simple a caveman can do it!” :smileyvery-happy:

SanDisk has even made it easier on the Fuze in that you can do it while in MTP mode. You don’t have to switch to MSC like you did on the e200 series.

Life is short and complicated enough. Anytime you can simplify things, by all means, do it! :smiley:

All I do is open up My Computer and select the Sansa Drive and go to the Music Folder. Then I go to the music folder on my computer and drag it over into the Sansa Folder. I don’t understand why anyone would do otherwise like the previous person posted. This is the easiest way to do it.

I’m not sure if these replies are helpful to the original poster. I had no problem connecting my Sansa Fuze to my laptop and having XP recognize it as a drive. But I just tried my Fuze on my mother’s desktop computer, also running Windows XP, and Windows doesn’t recognize the Fuze here. At first, it recognized a new device, but said that it might not work properly (which was correct). I’ve tried plugging and unplugging, different USB ports, rebooting–all to no avail. If I switch the Fuze to MSC mode the computer recognizes it, but I can’t access any of my files, which were loaded in MTP mode. So the original poster may have a real problem here, like I do. Any ideas what might be going on here?

@gf1701 wrote:
If I switch the Fuze to MSC mode the computer recognizes it, but I can’t access any of my files, which were loaded in MTP mode. So the original poster may have a real problem here, like I do. Any ideas what might be going on here?

You answered your own question here. Files put on in 1 mode are not visible or accessible in the other. There’s no way around it.

You have to decide which USB mode is better for your needs and stick to it. MSC makes your computer see your player as just another flash storages device, so it’s easier to connect, drag & drop. MTP is only needed for DRM-encrypted content, like Rhapsody or Napster. So if you’re dead set on using these type of subscription services, then you are stuck with MTP and all the problems associated with it. You’re also stuck with paying your ‘rental’ fee month after month essentially allowing those sevices to make about 1000% profit (or more) on the rights (theirs, not yours) to the music. If you don’t pay, you don’t play. It’s musical extortion!

No, I did not answer my own question, and your reply does not address the issue in this thread. I only mentioned the mode switching to indicate that I had indeed established a connection with the computer, that it was not a USB or cable problem that was causing the Fuze not to be recognized. Everything I’ve done with the Fuze has been in MTP mode, except for that MSC test. I would appreciate any suggestions that address the issue of the unrecognized Fuze on Windows XP, as the original poster asked about.

@gf1701 wrote:
I’m not sure if these replies are helpful to the original poster. I had no problem connecting my Sansa Fuze to my laptop and having XP recognize it as a drive. But I just tried my Fuze on my mother’s desktop computer, also running Windows XP, and Windows doesn’t recognize the Fuze here. At first, it recognized a new device, but said that it might not work properly (which was correct). I’ve tried plugging and unplugging, different USB ports, rebooting–all to no avail. If I switch the Fuze to MSC mode the computer recognizes it, but I can’t access any of my files, which were loaded in MTP mode. So the original poster may have a real problem here, like I do. Any ideas what might be going on here?

If a Fuze works on one computer and not on another, my first thought is that the problem is in the second computer.  What service pack is installed on your mother’s desktop computer?  If I remember correctly, USB 2.0 support was added with SP2.

Think you should contact the sansa fuze makersbecause a software disk should come but you can work without it. 

email:support@sansa.com

gl! hoped this helps 

@banjonancy wrote:

I’ll second the recommendation for Media Monkey to organize and transfer files.  That is the program I use.

If the USB Mode setting is still set to its default value of Auto-Detect, you should see an “Other” section at the end of My Computer window, and a player named “Sansa Fuze 8gb” (or whatever memory size you have) should be visible there.  If the USB mode is set to MSC, then it should show up in the Removable Storage section and have been assigned a drive letter.

If in the Other section, double click on it, then double click on “Internal Memory” and drag some mp3 files to the Music directory.

When the device is attached to the computer, does the computer make any sounds or display any messages at all?

What version of Windows is she using and what service pack is applied?  (Click Start button, right click My Computer, select Properties to show what service pack is applied – for Windows XP anyway, I don’t know about Vista.)

Playlists are a separate issue.  Ignore them for now until you have music working at all.

the software disk that comes with it is just raphsody…you don’t need it…the media converter that you need you get from the sansa website

@gf1701 wrote:
No, I did not answer my own question, and your reply does not address the issue in this thread. I only mentioned the mode switching to indicate that I had indeed established a connection with the computer, that it was not a USB or cable problem that was causing the Fuze not to be recognized. Everything I’ve done with the Fuze has been in MTP mode, except for that MSC test. I would appreciate any suggestions that address the issue of the unrecognized Fuze on Windows XP, as the original poster asked about.

Alright, maybe I mis-read your post. I’m sorry. But if you were genuinely concerned for the original poster, you would start your own thread about your own problem, rather than confusing the contributors and getting all huffy when someone points out a quirk of these devices and how the USB modes work in an attempt to be helpful.

Since the original poster did not give us enough information in their initial plea for help to properly ‘address the issue’ and since they haven’t been back to check on the status of their thread, we cannot assume that you have the same problem as they do.

Your issue seems to be that your player connects fine in MTP mode on one computer, but not another. If you do a search on the subject, you’ll find that that same issue has been discussed before and there is a procedure to help get Windows to recognize it in MTP mode.

I hope you find this answer more to your liking.

That was really good thinking, and I suspected that you’d hit upon the answer. My mom’s computer was only at SP1. Unfortunately, installing SP2 didn’t fix the problem. I’m glad you pointed it out, though, because if you hadn’t, this machine would never have been updated, and who knows . . .  Along those lines, I also installed WMP 11; that didn’t make any difference either. I verified that the USB ports are USB 2.0. The Windows hardware troubleshooter just shows that a USB Mass Storage device is connected and is not working, and goes no further. As long as the Fuze still works on my laptop, it’s not vital that I get it to work with my mom’s computer (unlike the original poster of this issue). I would love to get to the bottom of it, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

While updating the XP installation, download the MTP Porting Kit from Microsoft, and install it.

With the Sansa connected (manually select MTP mode), find the Sansa in the Device Manager.  Look through the Universal Serial Bus Controllers, starting with the last one in the tree (Murphy’s Law fix).

Windows likes to hide the Sansa, so click on the Power tab in each of these entries, now that you have USB2.0.  The Sansa will show up.

Select uninstall , and unplug.  Reboot, and Windows should finally find the device, once you plug in again.  The sign of success is the wee balloon: New MTP device found.

It’s quite the hairball, isn’t it?

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Windows Media Player is crapware.

I think the first thing a new Sansa Fuze owner should do is: set the date and time; format the device; switch it to MSC mode and leave it there. Use Windows Explorer to drag & drop songs. Unfortunately, this doesn’t work if you’re buying those 99¢, DRM-crippled, 128kbps, barely FM quality MP3s online.In that case, you have to use MTP mode and hope for the best.

Hallelujah! Neutron_bob’s procedure worked (MTP Porting Kit, uninstall device, reboot and replug). Thanks!

@g33z3r wrote:

Windows Media Player is crapware.

I think the first thing a new Sansa Fuze owner should do is: set the date and time; format the device; switch it to MSC mode and leave it there. Use Windows Explorer to drag & drop songs. Unfortunately, this doesn’t work if you’re buying those 99¢, DRM-crippled, 128kbps, barely FM quality MP3s online.In that case, you have to use MTP mode and hope for the best.

I’m in agreement with you on using MSC mode, and Explorer to drag and drop. However, even in MSC mode, you can still add and subtract music from your Fuze and/or microsdhc card with either WMP 11 or MediaMonkey. Some people( I’m not saying you are one of them) get the impression that if they are going to use a music manager they have to be in MTP mode (or, as Tapeworm says, Auto-Defect) when that’s not the case. I’ve been in MSC mode since about my 2nd or 3rd day with my Fuze, and I drag/drop, use WMP11, and use MediaMonkey. However, this will not work if someone is using Rhapsody, Zune, Napster, or any of the other subscription services.:wink:

Edit: I say all this, as someone that does not use playlists. If you do use them, that’s a whole other potential set of issues which don’t necessarily apply to my examples above:stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 12-27-2008 02:26 PM

Yes, many run into issues when they try playlists in MSC mode.  MTP does many things in the background, and this is one of them.

A playlist in MSC mode must be in .m3u format, and the playlist file MUST be in the same folder or path as your desired music.

MTP generates playlists in .pla format, and this format cares not whether your music is in the internal or external memory, or the path.

If you desire to use MSC, I believe Media Monkey will generate the requisite m3u lists for you.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue: