New Firmware Problem

Since SanDisk packages the Rhapsody software with the Fuze and has integrated Rhapsody into the player, you would think that the MSC vs MTP mode issue would appear prominently in the instructions from both sources.

It would have taken minimal effort from SanDisk, Rhapsody, or both to do something smarter than just disappearing the Authorize function and refusing to transfer subscription media.  A message on the screen “Player must be in MTP or Automatic Mode to transfer Subscription music”  would have been a piece of cake to do and much more helpful. 

The half dozen or more “try this” steps on the Rhapsody help pages never mentioned that the first thing to check was USB mode. 

By the way, I’m almost positive that the transfers worked in MSC mode until Rhapsody &/or SanDisk updated software.  When I first got the Rhapsody software with a replacement Fuze, I’m sure I had put the Fuze in MSC mode.  Up to that point, I always used MSC mode because I preferred using Windoz Explorer to move ripped files to the player.  I tried downloading and transferring a few songs under their free trial period to see if I wanted to use Rhapsody.  Worked just fine.  Problem cropped later when files no longer played on Fuze and could not fix the problem by following steps on help pages.  By then, both Fuze and Rhapsody software had been updated.

Filed under “Now we know” and hopefully making its way to an instruction manual in the near future.