New 8gb Fuze/tried using SDHC card w/Rhapsody to GO songs from other Fuze

Not sure if this has been asked before, if so, I appologize.

I bought my son a new 8GB Fuze and we tried to plug and play his SDHC 4gb card loaded with Rhapsody to Go songs from his old Fuze. Of course the files did not play, so we gave up on it.

Now the Fuze is acting strange. It has an album with “!” as it’s title and I have no way of deleting it. I tried doing so from the player and no luck and I pluged into the Desktop PC and the “!” won’t show. My son now said he sees a folder named “Y” … also strange.

We have Rhapsody 4, updated, we use Windos Vista on our Laptop and Windows XP on our Desktop PC. The Fuze has the V2…26 Firmware factory  installed.

Another thing that happens is when we plug into the Desktop PC ,the Rhapsody to GO files show Transfer “with Purchase” , but plugged into the Laptop they show Transfer “OK”.

I am wondering…

could we have ruined the Fuze8GB by trying to use the Old memory card with those Rhapsody to Go songs on it which were meant for use only with the old player?

Could a reformat clear the issue?

Help please, and thanks in  advance!

Message Edited by ubis13 on 11-11-2009 10:13 AM

Before you re-format, try Error-Checking. It might get right of those weird files. 

Put the Fuze in MSC mode (under Settings/System Settings/USB mode), connect it, right-click on it, Properties/Tools/Error-checking.  If it asks you whether you want to save bad chains, or anything else bad, click No.

Otherwise, yes, a format will fix it too, but it will take all your music with it. Error-Checking can be a little more surgical about it, if it works. 

I don’t use Rhapsody, but perhaps someone else here can help you with that–and you could also try Rhapsody Customer Service. You paid for those songs, and you should be able to use them. See if you can get someone on the phone and be (politely) pushy. 

As I understand it, and I might be wrong, Rhapsody knows which computer it is installed on and the digital-rights keys it sends to the exported files include information about which computer they came from. So one computer looks famiiar, and the other doesn’t–hence the difference. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 11-11-2009 12:14 PM

@black_rectangle wrote:

I don’t use Rhapsody, but perhaps someone else here can help you with that–and you could also try Rhapsody Customer Service. You paid for those songs, and you should be able to use them. See if you can get someone on the phone and be (politely) pushy. 

As I understand it, and I might be wrong, Rhapsody knows which computer it is installed on and the digital-rights keys it sends to the exported files include information about which computer they came from. So one computer looks famiiar, and the other doesn’t–hence the difference. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 11-11-2009 12:14 PM

Rhapsody To Go tracks are “rented” (they only work as long as you pay the subscription fee) and besides being tied to your account, they can only be played on devices that are authorized with your account. In addition to authorizing your computer, you need to authorize every player (up to three) you want to use with your account.

Thanks for the advice  Black-Rectangle! I will try the “surgical removal” first (error checking),

I’ve read about that in other posts, and it makes sense to try.

About the two computers and the Rhapsody identifying the files, I think you may

be on the right track with that theory. I called Rhapsody customer service last night

and, YES, I need to be a little more “politely” pushy. I was not satisfied with the response given.

The rep insisted that I was looking in the wrong place onmy screen and I repeated three times

that I was not. He said I was looking at “Burn status” and I know I was looking at “Transfer status” where it read “with purchase”

thanks gwk1967 ! I have both PC and Laptop Authorized and all my devices authorized.

I personally feel that the Rhapsody program on the desktopo PC needs to be reinstalled.

I’ve had Rhapsody to Go for over 2 years now, pretty much know how it works.

But I never had this problem before.

I tried the error checking but those weird “bogus” files would not go away I ended up reformatting, luckily we hadn;t loaded to many songs on the player yet. I first formated through Rhapsody and then unplugged the unit and formatted from the player. All is well so far! Thanks! :slight_smile:

The Rhapsody files transferred to the µSD card will play only on the device that they were transferred with.  This is part of the Janus (DRM-10) system.

I swap µSD cards between players regularly, and have some files that are specific to each device.  The individual leaf licenses for each file are updated if the correct device is signed on to Rhapsody.  The card can hold “universal” tracks if they are mp3, or saved as wma without copy protection enabled.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks for the input Bob!

I forgot to mention, I haven’t connected the player to my Desktop PC yet, I think there may be a bug in it, or the Rhapsody needs to be reinstalled. I will be looking into that ove the weekend.

To play it safe, I am using just the laptop for Rhapsody at the moment.