New 8GB Fuze - White Screen

Hi All,

Ive just today received a new 8GB Fuze.  I initially turned it on to be greeted with a white screen, nothing else.  Ive got it on its first charge via USB right now, still just a white screen with no battery indicator or anything else I would expect to come up.  It registers on Windows XP as I would expect, with 2 drives showing (one must be the internal memory and the other the 8GB microSD).  Ive tried updating the firmware using the auto installer and Ive also tried copying the bin file manually on to the root drive.  Ive tried several resets, unplugged, plugged back in etc etc

Still white.

Im now wondering if theres an obvious answer…does the Fuze need to be fully charged before it will display anything other than a white screen - or is the unit simply borked!?

Ive searched though the countless white screen threads and have not yet found a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Seeing as your question is exactly the same, read this post, my response to you is the same.

Message Edited by hazza on 02-13-2009 06:56 AM

What Hazza is trying to say in his own (sometimes less than friendly) way, is to please do a search of the thread for your issue. Then If you don’t find a solution after a search come back and post and say so, and we would all be glad to help.

Welcome to the forum.

(See Hazza I can repeat myself over and over again just like you)

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 02-12-2009 04:04 PM

Try formatting the fuze,  if you see two drives, then you are in MSC USB mode.    Right click on the First Fuze drive, and format it.  then disconnect and see if you still have the white screen

then try updating the firmware

and loading some music

Mine did a similar thing after 1 week of use. Was trying to delete song. Found you can hold the ON slider up about 15 seconds and Fuze will do a soft restart. Wasn’t plugged into computer when this happened. Sansa says to delete in computer for now. Fine with me. Formatted the machine and all is fine. Hope you get it working. Its a great machine.

thanks

barondla

@hutchy wrote:

I initially turned it on to be greeted with a white screen, nothing else.  Ive got it on its first charge via USB right now, still just a white screen with no battery indicator or anything else I would expect to come up. . .

Ive tried updating the firmware using the auto installer and Ive also tried copying the bin file manually on to the root drive.  Ive tried several resets, unplugged, plugged back in etc etc

Still white.

Im now wondering if theres an obvious answer…does the Fuze need to be fully charged before it will display anything other than a white screen - or is the unit simply borked!?

You have a defective unit! No amount of formatting, firmware updating or dancing around a fire under the light of the full moon swinging a de-capitated chicken in a counter-clockwise circle while chanting, " SAAANNN-SA, SAAANNN-SA" will help.

Take or send it back immediately (if not sooner) and get another one! The white screen is not SanDisk’s way of welcoming you to the Sansa family and you should not (and do not deserve to) have to deal with things like this out of the box!

Do it now!  . . . OK, you can wait until morning . . . but no longer! :wink:

Well, the white screen issue was resolved in the linked thread, by reinstalling the firmware.

As a footnote, remember that there are two revisions of the Fuze, running slightly different firmware on each.  If loading one version of the firmware does not work, try downloading and installing the second version.

Since we cannot see the firmware version on the screen of the device, this may be the trick. 

Manually connecting in MSC mode gives us access to the version file: Please note!  If you are not experienced with working with system files, do not touch these files, as an inadvertent edit can cause issues!

We can look in the Version.sdk file for the version data, using Notepad:

#DO NOT EDIT OR REMOVE THIS FILE

Product: Fuze
FW: V01.01.22A
Region: Americas

In this case, we have a revision 1 device, requiring 01.01.22, the rev 1 firmware.

Remember, loading the firmware file for the wrong revision will simply make no change in the device’s status.  Just try the alternate version.

Here’s the Fuze Firmware Thread.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: