Need some help with SD cards.

OK Guys im planning to buy a SD card for my lovable Fuze.Peolple have had trouble with their cards especially the refreshing database failure.Is it a common problem or is it something else?

Does the increase in class of the sd card improve the performance of the fuze like refreshing takes less time? 

Thanks,

SR 

@sr_rox wrote:

OK Guys im planning to buy a SD card for my lovable Fuze.Peolple have had trouble with their cards especially the refreshing database failure.Is it a common problem or is it something else?

Does the increase in class of the sd card improve the performance of the fuze like refreshing takes less time? 

Thanks,

SR 

My microsdhc was a SanDisk class 2 and with the last firmware my refresh was quicker than before. I think the class of the card only matters when you’re loading stuff onto it.

@sr_rox wrote:

Common problem? What are you basing this on? I haven’t heard or read anything about a ‘refreshing database problem’. Except from those that have bad ID3 tags.

Havent people had problems with constant database refreshing?

Thanks,

SR 

@sr_rox wrote:

Havent people had problems with constant database refreshing?

Thanks,

SR 

I’ve got an e260 v2 & Fuze v1. I’ve never seen that.

My 4G Fuze + 8G class 2 uSD takes about 2m 10s to refresh. I have ~2200 tracks (all MP3), and both sets of memory are nearly full.

I noticed early on that there are differences in the way ID3 tags  are handled between internal memory and the uSD. This post is about what I discovered for the e260, but it also appears to be valid for the Fuze. It may have changed for the Fuze with the latest firmware that supports v2.4 tags - but I haven’t re-run my tests…

There is another difference in the way the uSD is treated - content on the card is visible to a host PC in both MTP and MSC modes, whereas content in internal memory is only visible in the mode it was transferred to the Fuze.

The only real uSD problem I had was with the e260, where the detent mechanism started to fail, and the reader would shoot the uSD card across the room when it felt like it! They are quite difficult to find if you didn’t spot where they land… Anyway, SanDisk fixed that under RMA :slight_smile:

@tapeworm wrote:

Common problem? What are you basing this on? I haven’t heard or read anything about a ‘refreshing database problem’. Except from those that have bad ID3 tags.

I recall seeing problems with Kingston (not sure specifically what they were), and I’ve heard of people complaining of refresh times of over 40 minutes. I got a 2GB card, and video pauses terribly on it (I put it in my phone, where I can record and play video just fine). I can’t honestly say that the Fuze has great compatibility. You might get some other brand to work, but I’d recommend using Sandisk cards. I haven’t heard of anyone having problems with those.

i’ve got SanDisk, A-Data, Transcend, Kingston and Centron Cards and they are all fine with the fuze. Definately stick with class 4 or 6.

8GB Class 4 or 6 microSD cardsd are @ $20 or less on Buy.com and newegg all the time. supermediastore.com has deals too, but buy/egg usually have the free shipping.

cheapest i’ve seen for a class 2 16GB microSD card is $45

when i see a class 4 or 6 in that range, i’ll be purchasing one.

@emagon4523 wrote:

i’ve got SanDisk, A-Data, Transcend, Kingston and Centron Cards and they are all fine with the fuze. Definately stick with class 4 or 6.

@8GB Class 4 or 6 microSD cardsd are @ $20 or less on Buy.com and newegg all the time. supermediastore.com has deals too, but buy/egg usually have the free shipping.

cheapest i’ve seen for a class 2 16GB microSD card is $45

when i see a class 4 or 6 in that range, i’ll be purchasing one.

I had a class 2 for 11 months, and it worked fine, I don’t know why you would waste the money on a class 4 or 6. 

Some places might have 8 GB class 4 or class 6 micro SDHC cards for around $20. A class 6 card will load files from the PC at around 3x the speed of a class 2 card. If someone changes their music frequently, it is worth paying a bit more for a class 6 card. If someone rarely changes their music though, then a class 2 card is good enough.

Message Edited by JK98 on 08-19-2009 12:17 PM

Message Edited by JK98 on 08-19-2009 01:31 PM

OK.Well im not very comfortable with buying items online so i go to the shop and buy what i want.Can you give me the prices to the listed items below?(An estimated price on how much it would be in a shop.)(Not online prices)

Class 2 8GB

Class 4 8GB

Class 6 8GB 

Class 2 16GB

I thank all who spent there precious time on reading this and replying to this thread.I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

SR 

@sr_rox wrote:

OK.Well im not very comfortable with buying items online so i go to the shop and buy what i want.Can you give me the prices to the listed items below?(An estimated price on how much it would be in a shop.)(Not online prices)

Class 2 8GB

Class 4 8GB

Class 6 8GB 

Class 2 16GB

I thank all who spent there precious time on reading this and replying to this thread.I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

SR 

I haven’t looked in a store in a while but I think they are usually twice what you see online…hope you have better luck!

Yesterday I bought a Transcend class 6 8Gb µSDHC for just 18 € (which came with SD adapter) in Barcelona, althogh i’ve seen lower class 8Gb µSDHC at more than 25€… it really depends on where you buy it.

@bdb wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

I recall seeing problems with Kingston (not sure specifically what they were), and I’ve heard of people complaining of refresh times of over 40 minutes. I got a 2GB card, and video pauses terribly on it (I put it in my phone, where I can record and play video just fine). I can’t honestly say that the Fuze has great compatibility. You might get some other brand to work, but I’d recommend using Sandisk cards. I haven’t heard of anyone having problems with those.

So you’re recording video on your phone and then playing it on the fuze without converting it first with SMC?  That’s why. Also you may have to convert it first before SMC.  Depending on how your phone does video.  Check the SMC board for more info and help on this.

Also the problem with Kingston is video.  Only video.  Music works fine.  Other cards also can work okay with music.  However, to be sure you have the best card buy SanDisk brand.  Even if it’s a few dollars more.  With all my SanDisk cards I haven’t had a problem with refresh time being long or freezing up. 

I think the long refresh time is the ID tags, amount of music, kind of card, class of card, etc.  It can vary.  I have an 8gb on my fuze, not sure the class, probably 2, it was inexpensive, Sandisk brand, and doesn’t take too long to refresh.  Not full, 2906 mb left on the card (just checked) and takes less then 3 minutes to refresh.  Audiobooks, podcasts, music on the card.

@marvin_martian wrote:

I had a class 2 for 11 months, and it worked fine, I don’t know why you would waste the money on a class 4 or 6. 

@because the difference in price between class 2 and class 4/6 was @ $4 and i routinely copy @ 8GB worth of flac files to the cards to use on my player. a class 2 card will take about 20 min to copy 8GB vs the class 6 doing it in like 4 minutes.

i have also noticed the 4/6 cards refresh the database faster, but this is also a YMMV depending on how many files, not size of files, you have.

i also use the same cards in my digi camera. class 4/6 cards work with ‘burst’ mode and the class 2 will not.

i’m also using a rockboxed c240 and playing .shn files on the class 2 cards have been prone to skippage. not the case with the class 6 card.

so all these reasons are why i stick with class 4/6 and don’t feel like i’m wasting my money.