Need customizing tips (painting my fuze)

The little film material on the back of my fuze has peeled, so i want to cover up the scratches with a new coat of paint. Is there a way to paint the back of my fuze without spilling the paint to the front part of my fuze??? There are no screws on the back where I can take it off…

Well, what kind of paint do you recommend? Is spray paint the only option?

Mask the back and sides, i.e. the bits where there are openings, with electrical tape. I think that’s what he was getting at. As for the kind of paint, I think you’ll have to play this one by ear.

Mask entire front face at seam line. D-A all original coating off. Wet sand with 400. Prime with self-etching light grey. Wet sand with 600. Base coat with silver metallic. Wet sand with 600. Color coat with Candy Apple Regal Blue. Wet sand with 600. Mask off for twin, boardered SS stripes. Color coat with Corvette CanAm White. Wet sand with 600. Transparent coat the stripes with White Pearl. Wet sand with 600. Remove stripe masking. Clear coat until stripe edges are buried. Wet sand with 800. Machine buff with fine compound. Hand buff with Mirror Glaze.

There you go! Your customized Candy Blue over Silver with White Pearl SS stripes Fuze!

Hope the face color isn’t pink - LOL

Oops! Forgot to mask the power switch and microSD slot areas!

Message Edited by 14124all on 10-31-2009 07:42 PM

@Masking Tapeworm wrote:

ROTFL - GREAT ANSWER!!!
Message Edited by 14124all on 11-01-2009 10:12 AM

The back of the sansa fuze is metal, right? It looks like it…

Yes, it is die drawn aluminum with a rubberized coating.

OK, is there a special type of paint that creates grungy, rusty patterns???

No, graphics-in-a-can has not been invented yet. I have seen modeling diaramas with cars painted to look rusty with rot holes. This requires multi-color airbrushing, a lot of time, artistic talent, practice and probably some test spraying to get patterns correct.

You could Google for modeling custom painting (or something similar) to get more info. There are many extremely talented model builders out there that produce some amazingly detailed work.

@14124all wrote:

Mask entire front face at seam line. D-A all original coating off. Wet sand with 400. Prime with self-etching light grey. Wet sand with 600. Base coat with silver metallic. Wet sand with 600. Color coat with Candy Apple Regal Blue. Wet sand with 600. Mask off for twin, boardered SS stripes. Color coat with Corvette CanAm White. Wet sand with 600. Transparent coat the stripes with White Pearl. Wet sand with 600. Remove stripe masking. Clear coat until stripe edges are buried. Wet sand with 800. Machine buff with fine compound. Hand buff with Mirror Glaze.

There you go! Your customized Candy Blue over Silver with White Pearl SS stripes Fuze!

Hope the face color isn’t pink - LOL

Oops! Forgot to mask the power switch and microSD slot areas!

Sweeeet! :wink: