Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: Traveling speakers EU version

@Marvin_Martian wrote:

@Rob22315 wrote:

SanDisk still sells a docking station that let's your Fuze or View play through your stereo.  It sells for around $80USD or so.

Kinda silly when you can do the same thing for far less money, by buying an adapter cable, to connect it to the stereo, and a wall charger. I got both of those for around $10-$20 altogether, if I recall rightly.Smiley Wink

Not really.  You didn't get a remote.  Smiley Wink

Plus having the complete package is nice.  It also lets you connect to the computer.  This means you can do it all from one station if you wish - stereo, computer, charging and remote control.  It's also much cheaper than the going prices for the Altec unit and you'll get superior sound from your home stereo unless you went bargain basement.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: mote

I had a Sony Walkman, very expensive one, which had a jack with three divisions, not just two; In this way; in the same cable of the earbuds there were the two stereo channels and a 3data3 channel or 3control3 channel to play; pause; forward; backward; volume....

It was quite cool...

It shouldn't be so difficult to get on a digital device...

And I would shurely pay more for such capabilities.

I guess that evrything depend on how often people need to take Fuze on their hands to enter the menu and do things.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

There are several methods available to integrate control functions and display into a headphone cable, all dependent on how ingenious the engineers want to be, and whether everyone else in the company food chain is equally impressed about the option.

Just a moment of thought about it...

One could use a different headphone jack, a four-conductor headphone jack is the simplest, as these are available.  First we'll have to consider the pool of users out there, 99.9% (calculated using Mr. Spock's methods, for those of you who fondly remember the 1960s version) have 3-conductor ring 3.5mm headphones.  The Sansa must be compatible with these popular devices, naturally.

One can use a DC offset to separate the data: control / power / communication from a dedicated headset with controls and/or display.  I don't like multiplexing anything on the output, as this can cause all kinds of issues with chargers, FM modulators, et cetera, and having a DC component on the output can play havoc with headphones as the plug is inserted.  I prefer a basic "extra ring" on the jack.

Having this extra contact, the device can simply float the status of the fourth contact, recognizing that if shorted to the ground contact, as in the case of a generic headphone, remote functions are disabled.  Once the dedicated plug is recognized, communication / power can be fed to the special headset.  Hey, let's go one step further: the remote unit can allow the user to use any headset downstream of the remote dongle, if a jack is provided on the remote unit.

Now here is the burning question, we'd need a convenient arrangement to carry this two-device pair, and that involves actually using the combination to see what would be popular.  There are many variables here, based upon what clothing the user is currently wearing, see?  The Sansa Fuze is simple, and conveniently small as it is.  Adding  a remote, and its requisite microcontroller, and the cost, would only make sense on a much larger player- one that's more inconvenient to access.

Bob  Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 01-31-2010 10:57 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Ok.

I was not able to follow you completely, I must be sincere. But you speack so well and you seem so sure of what you say that I have decided to trust you.

I believe you...

Smiley Happy

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

@neutron_bob wrote:

There are several methods available to integrate control functions and display into a headphone cable, all dependent on how ingenious the engineers want to be, and whether everyone else in the company food chain is equally impressed about the option.

Just a moment of thought about it...

One could use a different headphone jack, a four-conductor headphone jack is the simplest, as these are available.  First we'll have to consider the pool of users out there, 99.9% (calculated using Mr. Spock's methods, for those of you who fondly remember the 1960s version) have 3-conductor ring 3.5mm headphones.  The Sansa must be compatible with these popular devices, naturally.

One can use a DC offset to separate the data: control / power / communication from a dedicated headset with controls and/or display.  I don't like multiplexing anything on the output, as this can cause all kinds of issues with chargers, FM modulators, et cetera, and having a DC component on the output can play havoc with headphones as the plug is inserted.  I prefer a basic "extra ring" on the jack.

Having this extra contact, the device can simply float the status of the fourth contact, recognizing that if shorted to the ground contact, as in the case of a generic headphone, remote functions are disabled.  Once the dedicated plug is recognized, communication / power can be fed to the special headset.  Hey, let's go one step further: the remote unit can allow the user to use any headset downstream of the remote dongle, if a jack is provided on the remote unit.

Now here is the burning question, we'd need a convenient arrangement to carry this two-device pair, and that involves actually using the combination to see what would be popular.  There are many variables here, based upon what clothing the user is currently wearing, see?  The Sansa Fuze is simple, and conveniently small as it is.  Adding  a remote, and its requisite microcontroller, and the cost, would only make sense on a much larger player- one that's more inconvenient to access.

Bob  Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 01-31-2010 10:57 AM

I have to agree.  I originally bought a clip on the basis that the whole thing was the same size as the remote control for my old device.  It's 100 times better than the old way.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: Traveling speakers EU version

My apologies Moderator,

I'm a newbie, but still should know the rule (about not offering to sell things) as common sense.  I'm going to keep my im413 anyway in case the other one breaks.  For anyone who is thinking of getting one, I can say that it's a good unit.  Sounds just slightly better than a clock radio.  Good use in a bedroom or kitchen, but not anything hi-fi though.  The great convenience is the charging dock and the remote (there's no clock though).  I go to sleep to it almost every night.

ggin1